AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone is reading to get their "fix". My personal favorite is probably the slickest produced, "Home Theater". I like "Widescreen Review" for the DVD reviews which I think are the absolute best, but the equipment reviews are a bit too technical to me. I thought the inaugural edition of "HDTV" was excellent, but there hasn't been a follow up in months. "DVD" is OK as well. There are also several good mags from Britain, but they are not always relevant.

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
WSR is the most complete text dense mag. It is very technical and if you stay in this hobby very long , this will become a plus, since most other mags are too shallow in that regard.It's not perfect and each mag has it's good and bad points but overall I give WSR the highest rating( I told Gary Reber this at CEDIA but I don't know if he has forgiven me for my comments about DTheater and the JVC 30K). AVI gives the best pics for HT ideas and inspiration but WSR is my only subscription.

Art

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I like many. I only subscribe to AVI ( www.audiovideointeriors.com ) which I like the best (contrary to some additional marketing/advertising they have inserted recently do to new heirachy). I like AVI most for the photos of home theaters. I also subscribe to Home Theater Magazine ( www.hometheatermag.com ). It slides into second place in my humble opinion. It has less pictures, but informative reviews and articles. My last subscription is with CEPro ( www.ce-pro.com ). It is more geared to help you make money in the industry, verses spend money. WSR is da bomb, but to be honest I spend more time in this forum and watching my DVDs in our theater than reading magazines.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It is addicting. Dang Art, your theater is the bomb! I like the colors. I remember the ice there in MI. I lived in Sterling Heights and Southfield when younger.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Which are the best for non-biased reviews? I don't want a writer saying equipment is great just because they are a sponsor.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Art,

What did you say to Gary Reber about D-theater in WSR. WSR had a survey which I answered and totally dissed D-Theater. Basically D-VHS should be put to death and I don't understand why WSR is spending such resources on it.

As to other Mags I like are AVI because they are chock full of decorating ideas. They are a zero when it comes to technical but they have great interiors that spur my imagination.

The Perfect Vision and Stereophile guide to Home theater I thought was on par with WSR but I am not sure now. I like Russ Herschelman but I don't always agree with his concepts.

I do like this forum if for no other reason they provide ideas which can be tested and experimented upon. What helps with this approach is also the feedback when things go wrong especially when you are not sure what/why things happened.

You also have problems with this forum as people have agendas and it is important to know who the players are and truly what are their motivations. Ask them directly and usually you get an honest answer, if they don't, then I have found that for the most part you can disregard their response.

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Guill
Art,

What did you say to Gary Reber about D-theater in WSR.

Some months back when the JVC 30K was dysfunctional I commented about the fact that there were several ( maybe 40) AVS forum members with problems and he was continuing to say nothing about it for months despite the fact that he was on the forum. He later came in and talked about it however. He just said to me at CEDIA that he took a lot from folks here I said that I knew that I had been one of them.

Art

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Sith Lord, you pose a wise question. I have seen non-biased equipment reviews in AVI, HTMag, and CEPro, WSR and others, but I have seen reviews in all of these magazines sometimes prompting marketing trends to one brand over another. They may, or may not be sponsored by manufactures. The WSR editor is a AVS member,I am sure he will jump in this thread if he sees it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
WidescreenReview

Where else can you get articles by Joe Kane and equipment reviews by Greg Rogers and Shane Buettner delivered to your door?

I've been a loyal subscriber for about 8 years now and can confidently say that the rest are best read at Books A Million or Barnes & Noble.

:)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Guill
As to other Mags I like are AVI because they are chock full of decorating ideas. They are a zero when it comes to technical but they have great interiors that spur my imagination.
Agree, but the new layout really bites. Why they changed it is beyond me -if it ain't broke......

WSR is still the best imho.

htomei

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Sports Illsutrated. It has exactly the same amount of useful home theater information as the other magazines discussed in this thread. Plus, it has the added bonus of a swimsuit issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have to agree w/ htomei22...

AVI's new layout is awful!!!! I am not going to renew my subscription because of it...

Such an amateurish looking format! Who ever is behind the decision to change should be FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kknight
AVI's new layout is awful!!!! .... Such an amateurish looking format! Who ever is behind the decision to change should be FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger that! At first it didn't annoy me so much, but the more copies I get in this new format, the harder it is to look at. I feel like they're trying to blur the lines between the visual appearance of the ads and the actual content. I won't, however cancel my subscription - as I get so many great ideas from the photos. We're going to be building a house soon, so this magazine basically ends up in pieces anyways once I cut out all the stuff I like for the "wish list" folder.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I enjoy reading:

Widescreen Review

The Perfect Vision

Audio Video Interiors

Robb Report: Home Entertainment Design

Stereophile Guide to Home Theater

The magazines which I think suck are:

Home Theater magazine

Sound & Vision

Anthony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally I like Home Theater Builder. It's a great resource for us DIY'ers. Only wish it was a weekly publication so it wouldn't seem like forever between issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.