AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of us have had people over who want to know what this HD thing is all about. Does anyone have any favorite scenes they like to jump to to show off their HD setups? I know which movies are considered PQ kings but I'm looking for particular scenes.

I'll usually pick a scene depending on the tastes of the person. Mine might be a little unconventional but they usually illicit some ooos and ahhs.

1 - Sahara. The desert scene near the end with the exploding dynamite. Something about desert scenes that look so good but what gets people about this scene is as soon as the explosions happen the bright orange is such a nice contrast to the desert, coupled with the amazing detail in the smoke just takes it to that other level that you don't get on SD. This one always gets a reaction.

2 - The Chronicles Of Riddick. The attack of the city by the Necromongers near the beginning of the movie (chapter 5 or 6). I love this scene because it is a night time scene with the bright explosions filling the night sky, plus it has some interesting compositional shots as well. The colours are especially vibrant later in the scene and this usually gets at least a wow or two. Love it.

3 - The Hulk. The second half of the desert scene at the end when he's fighting the helicopters. Great colours, ultra-sharp detail. 'Nuff said!

4 - Phantom Of The Opera. The masquerade ball. I just got this recently but boy did HD DVD hit it out of the park with this launch release. The detail in this scene is stunning and by the time the confetti is falling near the end and you can see every single piece of it you're convinced as to whether HD is a significant upgrade from SD or not. It certainly is.

After that I'll usually throw in Blazing Saddles just to show people how fresh and vibrant a movie they've seen a hundred times can look.

Unfortunately, most of my friends don't have HDTVs but I do get a lot of them coming back for movie nights

Anyone else have some to share?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I like the Freeway scene from Mission Impossible. You know, the one in all of the trailers. Mane that drone airplane puts out some nice surround sound.

Also Superman Returns the plane scene, the first "hero" scene for superman. Great sound and visual. IMO!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to admit MI3 is one of the titles I own but haven't watched yet. I live in a loft so I have to find the right night to watch it when I can crank up the volume :p

I should pop it in a check that scene out though

·
Registered
569 Posts
Batman Begins. When he is driving the car for the first time. sounds very impressive with truehd and looks great.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
superman returns airplane scene. TrueHD cranked.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hulk - Where the hulk is going crazy in the city and they bring betty in on the helicopter to go to him. Thats just one of the best looking scenes ever.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The scene in "Corpse Bride" where Victor first arrives in the Land of the Dead. Corpse Bride's video transfer is very, very, very close to flawless and the scene has a load of nice neon colours which are very striking. Wows me every time.

·
Registered
878 Posts
King Kong, chapter 30 when they find the dinosaurs and the subsequent stampede

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Batman begins where Wayne and Ducard are on the Ice. Great Audio and the PQ looks great with the blue ice and the close up shots of the two.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/0

Here's another thread on the same topic with additional suggestions:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=739308

Thanks
I kind of assumed there was one but hadn't seen it in the 3 months I've been reading this section of AVS and a lot of great stuff has come out in that time so I figured a new updated thread could be in order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. Riddick - Lots of demo scenes, the chase on the surface of Crematoria is one example. Amazing clarity and detail.

2. Seabiscuit - The riding scene in the woods by the bridge. Beautiful scenery and details.

3. King Kong - T-Rex battle, extreme details.

4. Serenity - Space battle scene, wow!

5. MI3 - The fake motor stop and climbing across the wall scene, extreme details.

·
Premium Member
26,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan /forum/post/0

Thanks
I kind of assumed there was one but hadn't seen it in the 3 months I've been reading this section of AVS and a lot of great stuff has come out in that time so I figured a new updated thread could be in order.

My suggestion in the future would be to resurrect an existing thread.....in this case you would have all the responses to previous releases and members could add to that thread with new releases. It makes for a more complete topic and you don't have members feeling the need to repeat themselves....and you've had your say too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When Bruce has the nightmare and Hulks out in the facility, until Betty calms him down.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Some of the outdoor scenes in Unforgiven are fantastic, in particular the scene where Clint is on his way to Neds house, when he's crossing the stream and his horse kicks up the water, so much detail and scale, you feel like you're right there in that field with them, raising your hand up to shield the sun from your eyes. =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.