AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we're a casual gaming clan but we want to get better. Lets hear your best Warhawk tips.

Sniping - When in a sniping battle with a talented sniper, set yourself up so that your covered but you can see over your shield. Stand up and pinpoint your opps place. Once you crouch back down immediately go into sniping mode (IE - your looking trhough the scope) - now aim it (while you're still conceiled behind your shield - you'll still see your opps name and location through it). When you're ready, hit the crouch button to stand up. When you're standing, you're sights will usually still be on the sniper and BAM! you won the sniping battle.

I do this all the time, it annoys the crap out of the opposing teams - especially when they have someone who thinks they are a sniping stud.

Remember, it doesn't always work - but once you get it down, you can bounce up fire a shot and then bounce down again befor ethey even have a chance to aim.

I think that's how I do it....It's gotten automatic so I'll have to check my steps again...but, if you get in those situations, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Two words: Land mines

1) Know were they are and pick them up whenever you get a chance

2) Place them around flags (you will always get planes that want to land right there

3) Place them where there are shadows/dark areas on the roads (harder to detect when driving)

4) Infiltrate the enemy base and lay them on their planes and jeeps (where they can't see them). Nothing worse than a plane that blows up when you try to get in it.

5) Place them on ceilings, people never look up when they are running into a structure.

EDIT: 6) Always place a mine at the mine location. That way the next SOB trying to get your mines, gets a little surprise

If you utilize land mines well you will always be at the top of the leader board at the end of the game.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my favorite land mine tricks is on the center base on Archipalago. You get the land mines and place them dead center on the ceiling at the front and back of each enterence. Jeeps zoom through...booom - tanks roll through and get hit by the first one and there's damamge, the second destroys them.

I racked up 30 kills one game doing that - I had another 10 with the warhawk (my highest kill game ever)

Also, use tall grass

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
heh, you guys are giving away some of my best counters!

Here are a couple of my key points...

1) Use the knife if your moving into a base with stealth, less likely to show up on radar

2) learn how to time your knife while running to hit your opponent when you arrive

3) if your in mid-range of a sniper, take a rocket launcher to shoot back, you don't have to be as precise, but you will have the sniper jumping all over to avoid the splash damage.

4) Support your teammates! Try to stay together with another warhawk when in the air, when on the ground, don't go by yourself. In base defense, always make sure there are at least 2 guys there before you take off on offense.

5) CTF Base defense includes the nearest base outside of the one containing the flag. Hold that and the ability to capture a flag is significantly harder.

6) learn the power slide in the advanced flight mode of the Warhawk

-Splints

·
Registered
799 Posts
Newbies:

1. Base capture first, fight second. It's hard to win a match with only one spawn spot.

2. If a teammate hops into a plane with you, take him somewhere productive like to another plane or to capture a spawn. DO NOT FIGHT WHILE YOU HAVE A TEAM MATE IN THE PLANE WITH YOU. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

3. Don't ride around the map in a tank. You should be killing or dying every few seconds.
Don't spend a few minutes driving somewhere only to die when you get there.

4. If you must play ranked servers as a newbie, please join the winning team. Don't newbie stack the losing team.

5. Don't be afraid of using the warhawk. The warhawk is your friend. If you control the sky, you control the war.

·
Registered
799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd /forum/post/12850227

6) Always place a mine at the mine location. That way the next SOB trying to get your mines, gets a little surprise

If you utilize land mines well you will always be at the top of the leader board at the end of the game.

I agree. Before I got use to air combat, I did a lot of mining. My favorite was to mine the warhawks at the enemy main base. As soon as they get into the plane, booooom!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec4me /forum/post/12852117

can you choose where you respawn in CTF?

In any game type, you can respawn at any spawn location your team controls. That's why my number one tip is to spawn capture first, fight second.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
When you die, the main map appears. You can use the directional buttons to select spawn locations. I believe there is a little white box around the location to spawn at. Hit "X" to respawn at that location.

-Splints

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Anywhere on the plane will work. If the plane is in a location that the enemy will typically approach it from side A, put the mine on side B.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Other Mine Tricks:

Note that you can place a mine on any vehicle but the tank requires 2 mines. I haven't tried to mine a drop ship.

When mining spawns, instead of putting mines on the ground where pilots can easily see them, I put them on the skinny part of the spawn flag pole. As soon as someone flys in to capture the spawn, boooom!!!

On the full Destroyed Capital map, I will mine the roof of the enemy main base near where they climb the ladder to get to the roof. Then I use their own missle turrent againt them while the mines watch my back. Note that the enemy may spawn on the roof but you should be able to take him out.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
Here is one.

Scenario - in a warhawk or any vehicle, short on life, find a replacement some where on the map that has full life that you want to exchange for...make sure you blow up your original vehicle so it spawns back at one of your bases.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a new one I used last night.

You have a little more control over the Warhawk when in Pro Flight mode. When playing Destroyed Capital, go to the top of your bases center spire. Wait for those planes that hover around picking of guys on foot....dive straight down the sheer side of the tower while either locking a homing missle or swarms on him. Get low enough and start using your machine gun...take him down about 25% and release your missle

Almost perfect kill

Also, on flight, this is pretty basic but we have a bunch of new players. When in a dog fight, make sure you use your machine gun to take your opps health bar down before unleashing your missles. Most of the time the missles won't be enough to finish the job. A quick run down with the machine gun and then the missles will finish him almost every time

Remember, in a Warhawk the machine gun is your best friend.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the Island Outpost map....there is a hill right in front of the bunker where your team's jeep and tanks are housed. On top of that hill is a place for Warhawks to restock their strafes.

Place a mine right under that strafe sign....Warhawkls fly low enough to get caught by the mine. Doesn't always work but it helps with a kill every now and then.

On Desert Warfare and Archipelago, when battling a guy for the center base make sure you have the rocket launcher. There are two walls that run on both sides of the spawning flag. Set your rocket launcher to hit the ground and aim it in the general vacinity of your opp. Run on the side, jump and release the rocket...they rarely survive that if you are aiming correct. Plus it keeps you from being hit by multiple gun shots while taking over the base. Make sure you do it before he's captured it or the odds are you'll be fighting someone else for the base.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I beleive that if you cause someone damage and then your teammate actually kills them, you get 1/5 of a team point. Thus, in dog fighting games, I'll spray any enemy close by with machine gun fire to get cheap points.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
More mine tricks:

7) Toss them on jeeps that are trying to run you down. It is pretty cool they blow by you and then the mine activates...see yah. If your are good you can occasionally toss one onto a plane as it flies by. It is quite humiliating as a pilot to know you died because some weakling on the ground lobbed a mine onto your plane.

8) Deploy air mines right over enemy planes on the ground. The second they take off the plane blows up. If they get smart and try to shoot the air mine before getting into the plane, the plane usually blows up anyway from the mine blast. Sure, they lived, but now they have to find a new plane

·
Registered
333 Posts
CTF Defense - Flip all jeeps. Instead of blowing them up, take them to a bad spot near your base and flip them. Your guys can still get in them and use them, but if the other guy has the flag it gives you enough time to get over there and grenade him. Also, don't blow up enemy planes and tanks when they bring them up, move them, that way they don't respawn back at their base. Mines. Place them in places where the planes land. If they land in the middle place them there, if they land beside a building, do the same. Also mine the back alleys, people are always trying to sneak up. When you do mine like that, place the mines a little over head high, they never see them. At some point in the game, everyone on your team should have 4 mines down somewhere. It'll frustrate the other team to no end, base mining is great. Don't forget about the air mines either, you can put four of those up and they'll wear 'em out too.

CTF - Offense. Charged Lightning Gun. Use it on the base every time before you go in. You'll get rid of the mines and sometimes kill the opposing guys when you let it go. Warhawks. If you're going after the flag in a warhawk, take someone with you. Then you one of you can stay in the plane and drop missles on them while your guy gets away. Go after the flag. Granted, if you're playing with Matzira then you have no trouble with this, but in games where no one is going after the flag from your team you'll lose. Knife. It's great, they can't see you and you can take the flag before they even know it. Also good for capturing a base.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Always switch to the knife when capturing a base. You don't want the enemy to know you are there. What they don't know, WILL hurt them.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts