AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we thought this issue was dead, but ...
Quote:
FCC ADOPTS RULES FOR BROADBAND OVER POWER LINES TO INCREASE COMPETITION AND PROMOTE BROADBAND SERVICE TO ALL AMERICANS
So far most of the concern about this technology has centered around amateur radio and, to a lesser extent, AM radio. In fact, an experiment here in eastern Iowa ended early -- and local Ham ops said, essentially, good riddance.

However, I've seen some discussion on this forum about concerns regarding the TV low band (channels 2-6), where some major stations still operate.

Any thoughts?

Here's more from the FCC press release:

Washington, DC - As part of its goal to promote access to broadband services for all Americans and to encourage new facilities-based broadband platforms, the Federal Communications Commission today adopted changes to Part 15 of its rules to encourage the development of Access Broadband over Power Line (Access BPL) systems while safeguarding existing licensed services against harmful interference. Access BPL is a new technology that provides access to high speed broadband services using the largely untapped communications capabilities of the nation’s power grid. By facilitating access to BPL, the Commission takes an important step toward increasing the availability of broadband to wider areas of the country because power lines reach virtually every home and community. In areas where consumers already have broadband access, BPL can enhance competition by providing another broadband alternative. Access BPL will also facilitate the ability of electric utilities to dynamically manage the power grid itself, increasing network reliability by remote diagnosis of electrical system failures.

In the Report and Order (Order) adopting these changes, the Commission recognized the significant concerns of some licensed radio service users regarding the potential of Access BPL systems to cause interference to their operations. The Commission stated that its intention in adopting the Part 15 rule changes was to ensure that Access BPL operations do not become a source of harmful interference to licensed radio services. Based on extensive research and analyses, as well as experience, it concluded that the interference concerns of licensed radio users can be adequately addressed and that Access BPL systems will be able to operate successfully on an unlicensed, non-interference basis under the Part 15 model. The rule changes in the Order establish specific technical and administrative requirements for Access BPL equipment and operators to ensure that interference does not occur and, should it occur, to provide for a timely resolution of that harmful interference without disruption of service to Access BPL subscribers. The Order also sets forth procedures to measure the radio frequency (RF) energy emitted by Access BPL equipment.

Full press release:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-253125A1.pdf (Acrobat)
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-253125A1.doc (Word)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
BPL covers from 60 Hz to 88 MHz and I think it will be a big mess since you are wiping out all radio services of all kind.

I rather see BPL be banned in this country as far I am concerned!:rolleyes:

So yes channel 2 to 6 "55 MHz to 88" MHz will be wiped out totaly by the BPL if ever they come to use in the future.

10-15-04

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Guess I can put the old shortwave receiver to bed and depend on "fair and honest" Fox News Channel and Sinclair Broadcast Group (among others) for my view of the world.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Don't consider this a done deal. The ARRL (American Radio Relay League) is currently and will continue to fight BPL where it affects "licensed radio services".

The lady continues to tune up but hopefully won't get to sing.

Jon NU4JJ

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Yeah! The "Broadband over Neon Sign" problem is bad enough already, where I live.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.