AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...se-ok-d-by-fcc

"The FCC Media Bureau has adopted rules to allow FM stations to increase their digital IBOC signals' power up to 10% of their analog power. The rule change permits the power increase on a voluntary basis, giving stations the ability to increase digital power by 6 dB. Stations already grandfathered as "super-powered" facilities in excess of current class maximums will be limited to protect against interference.

The new rules also establish application procedures for digital power increases up to 10 dB, and create remediation procedures to settle interference disputes within 90 days, and leave the issue of digital power levels open for revisitation if the new signals interfere with analog reception.

The new rules will be effective 30 days after publication in the Federal Register."

So I guess the question is when will it be in the Federal Register?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That is interesting news and probably a long time coming for many HD radio enthusiasts. If they still had the All Comedy Radio format on KXXR 93.7-2 in Minneapolis MN, I would still be an HD radio enthusiasts.

Does anybody happen to know how easy this will be for broadcasters to implement?

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is great news for HD users and broadcasters - now hopefully mobile reception will be improved, solve indoor reception issues, and give those of us who live in the far flung suburbs better reception. But given the fact that new equipment may need to be purchased, it may take awhile for the power to get cranked up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some stations will have enough headroom to maybe boost the digital power somewhat (e.g. double the power) Those that upgraded their equipment in the last few years would surely have made their equipment compatible to accommodate the power increase. Anyway, it will be an interesting time for us HD radio enthusiasts, comparing before and after results. I live 43 miles away from the Chicago Class B transmitters (quite a few miles beyond the primary contour), so I hope I'm a candidate to see the biggest beneficial improvement in reception. Right now I get HD lock 30% to 80% of the time, depending on the station, time of day, or weather, etc. I do have a centrally mounted 31" roof antenna on my car so it's pretty omni-directional.

Exciting times indeed.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtomNJO /forum/post/18034910

This is great news for HD users and broadcasters - now hopefully mobile reception will be improved, solve indoor reception issues, and give those of us who live in the far flung suburbs better reception. But given the fact that new equipment may need to be purchased, it may take awhile for the power to get cranked up.

Well, I hope you're right. I did the isimple OEM upgrade (media gateway+hd tuner) and the dropouts have made me crazy. the only stations I listen to are hd2 and having the radio go silent for 1-6 seconds (more if the dead spot is at a stop light) is nucking futz. Frankly it's embarassing with other people in the car. I sought out HD forums to see if it was just me or if everyone experiences this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I emailed Ibiquity a few days ago about how long they think it will take Chicago HD stations to increase their digital power.

Here's their response:

"Brian,

This will take a few years since the cost to upgrade may be quite expense depending on each station's configuration. A few Chicago stations may be able to increase their power a small amount. We'll have to wait and see.
"

Hopefully it will be quicker than that.

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I'll say the same thing here I've said about HDTV in the early days. You'll see the upgrade when it's either economically advantageous to do so, or economically disadvantageous not to.

Put another way, some will do the upgrade right away. For others, the upgrade will come very soon after the first complaint from a big advertiser.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stations that have applied to FCC via STA for increased HD power increase by 6dB (i.e. 4X digital power) and their status as of 02/12/2010

Call Status Location

KSKA Granted Anchorage, AK

KQAC Granted Portland, OR

KQHR Granted Portland, OR

KQOC App. Acc. Portland, OR

KUVO App. Acc. Denver, CO

KWAX Granted Eugene, OR

KNDE Granted Bryan, TX

WOSU App. Acc. Columbus, OH

Source: FCC http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/p...d/app_sear.htm

Select Service: FM Station

Select Application Type: Special Temporary Authority

Leave all other fields blank.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank101 /forum/post/18139162

These are non-profit classical stations in the area that are funded by community donations. I wonder why they found it "economically advantageous" to increase the power. They don't have a really strong analog signal so maybe they're hoping to increase their range with their digital signal.

KQAC is by far the best sounding HD Radio station in the area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Let us know how soon these Portland stations will actually increase their power and if you can, please give a rough before and after comparison of the digital coverage you experience.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank101 /forum/post/18140753

Let us know how soon these Portland stations will actually increase their power and if you can, please give a rough before and after comparison of the digital coverage you experience.

KQAC comes in perfectly right now. There's my report.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank101 /forum/post/18139162

Stations that have applied to FCC via STA for increased HD power increase by 6dB (i.e. 4X digital power) and their status as of 02/12/2010

Call Status Location

KSKA Granted Anchorage, AK

KUVO App. Acc. Denver, CO

KWAX Granted Eugene, OR

KNDE Granted Bryan, TX

WOSU App. Acc. Columbus, OH

Select Service: FM Station

Select Application Type: Special Temporary Authority

Leave all other fields blank.

While I was on the FCC site, I discovered how to find out which stations provided notification to the FCC about plans to go digital. These stations are in addition to the stations that applied for a Special Temporary Authority. Go to:

Select Service: FM Digital

Select Application Type: Digital Notification

Leave all other fields blank unless you want to narrow the list by city, state, frequency, etc..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I see WRKS 98.7 in New York city has just applied for a 4X digital power increase.

This is first Class B New York market station to apply for a digital power increase. KROQ in LA also just applied for a 10X digital increase.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the digital coverage improvement in these markets which have a large portion of their listeners at the outer edges of their coverage area. It's these "outer edge" listeners that might most benefit from HD radio, whose car radios have typically blended to mono and often experience the effects of multi-path the most.

Listeners to HD stations at the 1% digital power, probably don't hear the benefits of HD radio on the main channel too much, as the analog signal is usually already good (and in stereo) when the digital coverage is solid.

However, the power increase will give the HD2 and higher stations a chance to flourish, now only if they can get the content to attract more niche listeners. For example, I'm in my mid 30s but for over 20 years my consistently favorite music format is the "beautiful music" and "pop standards" formats that I understand were more widespread in the 70s and 80s prior to me arriving in the US in the mid 90s. This music while sporadically available on some AMs needs full frequency in stereo to be experienced. Here's hoping and wishing that HD radio technology will bring this format back at least one HD sub channel in each major market.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank101 /forum/post/18277221

I

Listeners to HD stations at the 1% digital power, probably don't hear the benefits of HD radio on the main channel too much, as the analog signal is usually already good (and in stereo) when the digital coverage is solid.

On my home theater system, the HD sound quality is very much noticeable. Chicago's WFMT (classical) is known for their excellent non-compressed sound quality on their analog broadcast. But when my receiver switches to HD, the small amount of background hiss drops out completely for true CD quality. It is true that some other stations with pop or rock formats skimp on the sound quality on their HD2 or HD3 multicasts. One station sounds like a low-quality web stream, while another one actually speeds up the songs! I didn't think that was done anymore since the days of vinyl records!

·
Registered
10,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumagah99 /forum/post/18281068

Chicago's WFMT (classical) is known for their excellent non-compressed sound quality on their analog broadcast. But when my receiver switches to HD, the small amount of background hiss drops out completely for true CD quality.

The Sony XDR-F1HD has incredible hiss-free analog reception. I don't know what trick it uses but even when there are plenty of analog artifacts and distortion in the reception, there is no trace of hiss.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank101 /forum/post/18277221

Unless you live in "concrete canyons" where multipath can (and usually does) ruin reception, even though signal strength is very high. HD radio is a blessing for those of us so inflicted.

For FM stations without an HD signal the Sony XDR-F1HD is the next best thing. It is miraculous in dealing with multipath.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
I was hoping the XDR-F1HD would help my multipath problems here at work but it didn't really. It tries very very hard to make the stations listenable by blending strong crunchy stations into something close to mono but I can't say that's a desirable way to listen to music. There are really very few analog stations I can stand to listen to for very long. The multipath distortion just wears me out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"KWAX Granted Eugene, OR"

I have noticed that from my location about 100 miles north of Eugene that I have had HD lock much of the time the past week or so.... called the station today and they confirmed that the HD signal has been increased for about 2 weeks. I use an aps 9 antenna and a Sony XDR F1HD tuner.

jr

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
In downtown Portland with my XDR F1HD, I can't get KWAX but instead I get KTJC an 8 KW station from Kelso, WA (50 miles away) on 91.1 Mhz. It's Christian station that tells me I'm going to burn in hell for believing in evolution.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts