AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the Class A (commercial) and Class B (consumer) EMI ratings that plasmas have? If I buy a commercial unit for home will I get interference from my cordless phone, PC, wireless 802.11 2.4Ghz router, my microwave, hairdryer, my 250 watt stereo amp? Conversely will these electronic items pick up noise/interference from the plasma?

Also, does it matter that commercial units are not UL rated?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its a rating for interference from the device not for how its afffected by other devices. The small RF leakage might make some noise on an AM radio nearby thats all. The A vs B rating is one is for home use which is more restrictivevs the other is for industrial use which is less so. You shouldn't have to worry about it under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No worry ?!

Can somebody show us, with actual measurements, the emissions coming out of the commercial and consumer panels compared to a regular 34-40 inches CRT ? is it possible to do this ?

I'm really curious about this issue especially with large flat panels that do not meet the highest standards...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Most commercial equipment is UL listed to commercial equipment standards.

The FCC class A rating means it isn't legal to sell it to a home consumer user. The class B means it can be sold to consumer or business users.

The A standard is looser than the B standard. The standard covers a wide range of spectrum, not just AM radio or TV frequencies.

In most cases, you won't have a problem. But you might, and it is more likely with FCC A equipment in a home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You say I will potentially have more problems with Class A in the home, but can you be more specific? Would I experience problems with cordless phone, my PC, my wireless network, my stereo?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
A use of the search function could net you more real examples (keyword=EMI).

The only types of interference reported here (and only in a small percentage) are with some 'IR' interference w/ remote controls and Sony wireless headphones. Both of which I believe people found fixes. (Sheilding the IR receivers on the effected device. I don't recall cordless phones being affected. Some of these cases may have actually been from consumer models as well.

There have been 100's of industrial plasmas purchased by forum members over the last three years and only an handfull reports.

No one can say with 100% accuracy what your results will be.

PS. Oh Yeah, there was one case of someone w/ a small TV in another room picking up static on channel 2, (about a 1-1/2 years ago), don't know what happen in that case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m sure if you search the web you can find the details for the FCC spec for Class A and B for this type of device. As I remember, it is a set of frequencies (about 5?) with amplitude limits at a set distance. The Consumer (or class B) measurements are at a fairly close range (higher level), and the commercial is at a much greater distance (lower level). According to the HAM guys, Plasma’s are a huge rf emitter. I would expect little or no difference between the commercial and consumer models, unless the electronics and manufacturing were significantly different. A spectrum analyzer is usually used for this type of measurement.

I would be more curious to get some definitive answer to the UV emission conspiracy theory. Does the consumer model have an added UV coating, and what is the different ratings between the two models. I would like a measurement and or some answer from Panasonic. Not I heard, or I think, or someone said which is all I can find right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.