AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a puzzler for the veteran minds of this forum. I know that FCC regulations mandate everyone's ability to put up a satellite dish up to 30", but what about two? I just installed a second dish on my roof (one 18", one 24") and I have some concerns about the management association having a cow. I don't know of any neighbors who would care, but if even one complains I'm sure the association would have to follow up on it. Has anyone else been in this situation and how does the FCC reg apply in this case? Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Actually, the FCC rule refers to dishes less than one meter (39") in diameter.

It is mute on the number of dishes allowed; but, hoping that the association is not aware of elliptical dishes, one could argue that, since there are two satellites, two dishes are required to receive them.

If they are aware, one could claim that the elliptical dish provides inadequate reception. The FCC rule states that one is entitled to good reception.

One could also claim that two 18" dishes total less than the FCC allowed 39".

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Rule says you have a right install antennae, on property under your exclusive control, in order to receive non-distant OTA signals, and DBS satellite TV broadcasts. Period. The DBS dishes must be less than 39" outside of Alaska. If you need to put up more than one dish to receive all the DBS TV signals you wish to receive, then you put up more than one dish to receive all the DBS TV signals you wish to receive.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I read the FCC regulation thoroughly and I can't find anything that limits someone to one dish. So I hopefully have enough information to discourage my homeowner's association should they bring it up in the future.

·
Registered
936 Posts

For what its worth, my experience with homeowner associations is that they are not nearly smart enough to fasten in on the numbers of antennas issue. They basically function by bullying members with threatened lawsuits that completely violate any reasonable due process. When the member has something to fight back with (like the FCC rules), they run like hell (just like most other bullies).

Mike

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeKO:
They basically function by bullying members with threatened lawsuits that completely violate any reasonable due process.
Uh... Doesn't a day in court between contesting parties before an impartial hearing officer or judge and jury constitute "due process"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.