Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting info on channel selection proposal from the FCC

Some highlights:

1 We have possibly 3 channels to know instead of 2 for each station:

The analog channel

The digital channel

The old digital channel (ie our current ones now.)

Stations can pick any of these to use in their PSIP. What about the national numbers like 80-3, are they going away?

2 Stations with all in core channels should get final number assigned next summer. Then the out of core ones get to pick.

3 Stations on the air the longest get priority.

So maybe in 2006 we will all know which kind of antennas we need: UHF or both UHF and VHF!

fcc channel selection

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
The info at link you provided is just MSTV's proposal to FCC on those issues. There is more recent info available on this -- Concerning how it will be actually implemented, Some things have changed a bit, and in some cases (for example, manner of certian details concerning the requirement for stations to adopt PSIP in it's "entirety") it is somewhat possible I suppose that some details involved might change a bit more ... But, make no mistake, the Channel election process has already began ... for example, The filing window for Stations to start filing their "pre-certification applications for Channel election" opened on on Oct 19, with the 1st round of elections starting in November/December 2004 ...

FCC ruled on the DTV Channel election process(among other things involved with their Second DTV review, including requiring stations to adopt PSIP "in it's entirety", and full power "use it or lose it" deadlines/etc.) in August.

Short Press release with the major "details" concerning 2nd DTV review R&O involving Channel election/Full power deadlines/etc. here in word doc format :

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-250542A1.doc

Here in PDF format:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-250542A1.pdf

The entire 2nd DTV review Report and Order is available here:

Word Doc format:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-04-192A1.doc

PDF format:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-04-192A1.pdf

Here is an informative article from TVtechology concerning Channel election+PSIP adoption "deadlines" :

http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=590

Also, Most FCC documents since 1995 concerning DTV transisition/Rulemaking/etc. can be downloaded presently from here(They do seem to change the URL for this page/etc. occasionally) :

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/

The commission have been busy bees with DTV the past few months, with the adoption of the 2nd DTV R&O, as well as the recently released rules that address DTV for LP/Class A/Translator stations. You'll find the LP DTV R&O at above link as well ...

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Quick question, how soon until we see the a list of the selections made during the first choice? All the stations in my area and three neighboring areas should be done after the first choice in December. The exception is Raleigh, which will likely see new allocations made for 4 (digital 59) and 5 (digital 53) and possibly 11 (digital 52).

- Trip

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip in VA
Quick question, how soon until we see the a list of the selections made during the first choice? All the stations in my area and three neighboring areas should be done after the first choice in December. The exception is Raleigh, which will likely see new allocations made for 4 (digital 59) and 5 (digital 53) and possibly 11 (digital 52).

- Trip
The first list for the first round should be out in early 2005. At that point, from what I have been told, stations from the first round can then respecify their other channel if their first channel is not what they thought it would be. Then the second round starts.

WUNC and WRAL will have to wait for the 3rd round in early 2006 since they do not want to go back to their analog low band channels (4 and 5) and their DTV channels are out of core. (59 and 53) The jury is still out on what WTVD does. There is a concern that if WTVD gives up 11, WRAL will jump on it (even being the only VHF) since WTVD would have to wait for the 3rd round also since their DTV is out of core and that might put WTVD at a disadvantage if the channel that WTVD winds up with was not as good as 11 and WRAL got 11. In the Raleigh area, there are not a lot of good channels available and WRAL is used to having the very best. Since WRAL has nothing to loose, they might jump on 11 to spite WTVD. Many years of bad blood between those two stations.

High stacks poker being played right now among stations all over the country.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know that with this transition there are "bigger fish to fry," but I'll nevertheless be happier when stations like WCIU Chicago are forced to stop using illegitimate mappings such as Channel 1!

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilJSmith67
I know that with this transition there are "bigger fish to fry," but I'll nevertheless be happier when stations like WCIU Chicago are forced to stop using illegitimate mappings such as Channel 1!
Feb 1 2005 is the date stations are required by law to map their analog channels on their digital stations.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
WUNC and WRAL will have to wait for the 3rd round in early 2006 since they do not want to go back to their analog low band channels (4 and 5) and their DTV channels are out of core. (59 and 53)
Interesting.

At least it appears WRAL is trying in the meantime. There's an ABC the next market over from me in Des Moines, which I occasionally visit. They're in a similar situation -- analog is on 5, digital is on 59 -- and it appears they're using that as an excuse not to go HD and not to operate with more than 500 watts. A couple of bars in my hometown have converted to HD and are tired of not getting Monday Night Football.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dline
Interesting.

At least it appears WRAL is trying in the meantime. There's an ABC the next market over from me in Des Moines, which I occasionally visit. They're in a similar situation -- analog is on 5, digital is on 59 -- and it appears they're using that as an excuse not to go HD and not to operate with more than 500 watts. A couple of bars in my hometown have converted to HD and are tired of not getting Monday Night Football.
Difference is WRAL is in the Top 30 markets and those markets were required to be at full power in 1999.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Oops, my bad for forgetting that. Des Moines is #73 and Cedar Rapids-Waterloo is #88 or so.

Of course, most of the other Big Four network stations in these areas are HD and running at respectable power levels -- even the "out-of-core" ones -- with Fox Cedar Rapids and ABC Des Moines being the lone exceptions. Even the STAs, though not "full power," are generally in the five or six figure range except for these two stations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.