AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on the FCC's mandate? The mandate used to require that from July 1,2005, 50% of DTVs between 25 - 36" and 100% DTVs 36" or larger being imported into the U.S. must have a digital tuner built in.

The latest I know is that the FCC was considering postponing the July 1 date at the request of CE manufaturers.

If possible, I'd like to find out if anyone hasheard about the status of the postponement, as well as howother manufacturers are planning to comply (how will it be enforced, loopholes, etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
The latest status, as far as I know, is HERE

If past performance is any indication, these guidelines won't be met. The 37" TVs were supposed to be 50% ATSC-compliant untily July 1, and they didn't come close. There are still lots of 37" sets being sold without ATSC tuners, but they may have been manufactured before July 1. I suspect the main priority of the manufacturers of mid-size sets is to clear out their warehouses and parts stockpile before starting production of the ATSC sets, to try to comply with the 50% average this year. I also suspect ATSC chipsets are (or may become) in short supply. I'm still dismayed how few manufacturers have even announced their mid-size ATSC sets.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I am really miffed at the CE companies and their retail partners. I have been checking on various retailers in my area and it is obvious to me the mandate is not being followed, especially the 50% rules. How long can they get away with it??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
Just the government mandating more equipment that many people don't need and won't use. :-(
Yes, let's all PAY for TV! :eek:

We don't need choices cause the CEA knows what's good for us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk
Just the government mandating more equipment that many people don't need and won't use. :-(
They can always make tuner-less TV monitor, if tuner is really a burden to them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson
I am really miffed at the CE companies and their retail partners. I have been checking on various retailers in my area and it is obvious to me the mandate is not being followed, especially the 50% rules. How long can they get away with it??
They are obviously "trying" to meet the mandate by producing 100% ATSC models towards the end of the period, to average 50% during the period. I am amazed that no manufacturer has announced ANY ATSC set smaller than 26". I'd bet there are quite a few people who would buy one for the kitchen or bedroom. There would be even more sales (assuming the showroom had ATSC TVs available) if there were signs posted in the showrooms stating "WARNING - Unless your TV has an ATSC tuner, you may not get any TV signal over your antenna after 2009".

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrussell
They are obviously "trying" to meet the mandate by producing 100% ATSC models towards the end of the period, to average 50% during the period. I am amazed that no manufacturer has announced ANY ATSC set smaller than 26". I'd bet there are quite a few people who would buy one for the kitchen or bedroom. There would be even more sales (assuming the showroom had ATSC TVs available) if there were signs posted in the showrooms stating "WARNING - Unless your TV has an ATSC tuner, you may not get any TV signal over your antenna after 2009".
You mean after 2008.

And yes, I have been waiting for an ATSC, or better yet, a QAM CableCard, LCD TV for the kitchen.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You know, if they sell it as a monitor, they don't need to put one in; even it is display in TV department. They can have two similar set, one with turner, one without - to meet guideline; but hardly the turner one is available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.