Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FCC spells out sanctions for DTV dawdlers
Source: Broadcasting & Cable – 5/17/02

TV stations that can’t justify missing the May 1 digital-launch deadline will have an extra six months before facing substantial penalty from the Federal Communications Commission.

The commission approved procedures Thursday for fining or even stripping permits of digital-TV laggards, but these toughest measures won’t be used right away.

"Our goal isn’t to punish people, but to achieve the goal of getting programming out there," said Barbara Kreisman, chief of the Media Bureau’s video-services division.

Stations that can justify delays based on technical problems, delays in scheduling construction crews, zoning fights or inability to obtain financing are allowed up to two six-month waivers.

Those denied waivers will be sent letters of admonishment and required to report regularly on their progress bringing digital TV online.

Admonished stations that fail to go digital within six months of the reprimand will be issued notices of apparent liability for fines and required to meet a series of 30-day construction milestones.

If a station fails to offer a digital signal one year after admonishment, the FCC will revoke its construction permit.

The procedures were floated as proposed rules, but they will go into affect immediately on a case-by-case basis until they become permanent. The commission tentatively concluded that channels confiscated from canceled construction permits will be reauctioned.

National Association of Broadcasters officials said Thursday that the sanctions appeared reasonable.

"We believe the vast majority of broadcasters will work aggressively to meet the DTV plan put forth today, as evidenced by the fact that Harris Corp. has 700 transmitters on order right now," NAB spokesman Dennis Wharton said.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Harris corp takes orders, not places them. They're the builder.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh, thanks Dan. I guess your signature says it all!!!:D My mind was made up without facts. I'll remove my bone head reply.

---------------------------Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
Heck, maybe I should've pursued that job opportunity with Harris more diligently! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.