AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6,194 Posts
The CommonDreams site was funny. They seem to assume that DTV will necessarily lead to people wasting more time in front of the set. I love my HDTV, but I don't watch more programming just because some of it looks nicer.

As for the ZDNet article, I cannot imagine anyone with high or correctable visual acuity failing to recognize the great difference in the quality of HDTV over the old NTSC format.

· Registered
56 Posts
The funniest thing about that article on ZdNet is to read the comments from the readers. Nobody (including the author) seems to be able to grasp the fact that digital television is not equal to HDTV. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. There are a lot of jokes about Joe Sixpack around here, but damn, it appears Joe 6P is even dumber than anyone has given him credit for.

Apparently, everyone thinks the government is forcing them to buy a new HDTV. That's the one argument I didn't think of while trying to convice my wife that I needed my new theater/projector. Maybe it would have saved me some time. ("Honey, the government says we HAVE to buy this new projector. ")

Sail

· Registered
21,221 Posts
What an ignorant slug the ZDNet guy has shown himself to be! It is clear that the guy (1) lacks a genuine understanding of the superiority of HD over SD and (2) doesn't appreciate that if the feds had not mandated digital TV the programmers would NEVER have widely implemented HDTV because of its bandwidth requirements, which they would have preferred to continue to use for multiple transmissions.

Being opinionated is what columnists do but one of them being opinionated about an issue that he clearly doesn't understand is insupportable.

· Registered
703 Posts
The guy is about as smart as bait!

· Registered
7,655 Posts
someone like M cuban needs educate this columnist. People need to understand what HD is. AT this point in time to see this kind of gross misunderstanding of HD vs SD doesnt give me a warm fuzzy for any digital transition.

· Registered
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sailworkless
Apparently, everyone thinks the government is forcing them to buy a new HDTV.
That's a very, very common belief of many people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.