AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I wish the Replay would do, and perhaps it is planned in 5.0, but I haven't seen much mention of it.

Currently, you can tell the Replay to start recording x minutes before the start of the show until x minutes after the show... which is all fine and dandy, but I would also like to tell it to stop recoding x minutes BEFORE the END of the show.

For example, You might be recoding 'Dave Attel' on Comedy Central from 10pm to 10:30pm. You know that Comedy central has at least 3 minutes of commericals at the end of each show, and are roughly on time, as far as networks go.

Then, from 10:30 to 11:00, you want to hop over to Noggin to record 'Daria'. Noggin is nuts, and runs about 1 minute ahead of comedy central on thier blocks, so you will lose the first minute of Daria currently.

With this new feature, I want to say:

From 10:00 to 10:30, record Dave Attel, and STOP recordin 1 minute before the end of the show. Then, from 10:30 to 11, record Daria, but START 1 minute before the show (which already exists). The nice thing about this, is you won't have a conflict, either.

Just my .02 cents. Hopefully i'm not the only one who would find this useful.

-- I

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
No, you do seem to be the only one requesting it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I mentioned something like this not too long ago and agree that it would be greatly useful given the behavior of certain channels. Not to mention saving space. Save 10 half-hour episodes of something from cartoon network and set each to end 3 minutes early, you just saved a whole episode worth of space :) I would also like to see the ability to start late for channels that tend to start 2 minutes after the listed start time. I don't think it would take that much to implement, instead of the left arrow taking you to 240 minutes, make it go to -1 minutes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally don't see much of a benifit of negative padding on its own. You can alwas just skip,FF or jump past these offending commericals.

The negative padding to prevent conflicts on adjacent padded shows, could be a solution. However this is very cumbersome as you would have to look and see how much padding was added to the adjacent show and then set the other show with the proper negative pad.

It seems that it would be easier if in the new conflict manager it would give you two more choices

1. Keep padding. Record previous show up until padding time. Start next recording immediately after padding time.

2. Drop padding and start and stop recording on scheduled times.

This should resolve most issues. Obviously these options would only appear when padding is the cause of the conflict, so as not to confuse the user.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had brought this up once before it would be especially useful when recording shows back to back on different channels and you want to make sure that you catch the beginning of the second show and really don't care too much if you see the ending credits of the first one.

Because this is not currently a feature I solved this problem by purchasing a second 5040 and swap back an forth between them when I have back to back recordings.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How about manual recording these shows exactly how you want them?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ico-Jones
How about manual recording these shows exactly how you want them?
That would make the Replay into a (shudder) not too smart VCR with a hard drive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are there people who are opposed to this idea?

We're not talking about really adding a feature, just expanding the range of numbers accepted by an existing feature. IE: It shouldn't take that much coding so it wouldn't take away from coders trying to fix x, y or z other issues. (especially that z issue, but don't get me started.)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
i'm certainly not opposed to it...it would have been nice back when i still watched ER to be able to start it a minute early and end CSI a minute early

i just don't think it's very high on the to-do list (no pun intended)

·
Registered
92 Posts
'Reverse padding' would have come in handy in quickly and easily bumping my recordings a half hour out when the President was on. Without it, it was a cumbersome process, unless I am missing an obvious solution.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
While it isn't very high on the to-do list, I also can't see it taking much effort. All the progammer would have to do is allow negative numbers in the pads.

While it may cause a conflict. Initially you could say too bad and later add conflict resolution to record the clear portion of the conflicted show.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I suggested reverse padding back when padding first appeared.

One of the ReplayGuys said that it was too difficult. He argued that it was too easy to get into situations where the user specified a start time after the end time and that this could not be handled gracefully. I disagreed saying that the user interface could easily prevent this problem.

Manual recording cannot fully replace this functionality. If you always want to record the last 10 minutes of a variety show, that last 10 minutes will move if the show moves using padding but not with manual recording.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acs236
I agree -- this was a feature I used quite often when I had a Directivo.
What the ---- are you talking about?!?!?

Negative padding on a TiVo?

Maybe you could walk me through the steps to set this up, 'cause I've never seen this feature on my DTiVo.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You know what I want? To be able to record the second half or fourth quarter of a ball game. This could either be in the form of a delayed start time or starting the recording x minutes from the end of the time slot.

I don't have time to watch many full ball games, but I sure enjoy seeing the ending of good games. I just don't like taking 3 or more hours of space on the drive when I'd just as soon skip the first half or more.

Tim

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
"He argued that it was too easy to get into situations where the user specified a start time after the end time and that this could not be handled gracefully"

Huh? You subtract the net begin time from the net end time and if you get a negative number, show an error message and not allow the task. What would this be, 2 lines of code?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
Huh? You subtract the net begin time from the net end time and if you get a negative number, show an error message and not allow the task. What would this be, 2 lines of code?
I didn't get his argument either. But rather than check for an error, you can make the UI limit the negative pads so they never pass one another since they get set by increment and decrement rather than by absolute amounts. When the current record time gets down to 1 minute, don't allow any more increments.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sixt7gt350
What the ---- are you talking about?!?!?

Negative padding on a TiVo?

Maybe you could walk me through the steps to set this up, 'cause I've never seen this feature on my DTiVo.
I could have sworn I had this features on my Hughes, but it's been over a year, so I could be mistaken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.