AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Divide Feature- If you record 3 programs on different channels say from 7PM to 10 PM at XP (best record mode)- you must be able to divide these 1 hour programs for one hour burning to DVD AT High Speed no loss! An HDD recorder MUST have this- Pioneer and panasonic do.

2. Flex record- This is essential. You record at 1 hour and 30 minutes or 1 hour and 10 minutes- The recorder records on the disc the very best video quality. Panasonic and Pioneer do.

3. Chase Play- You record and come back 30 minutes later and watch the beginning for 30 minutes and if you want pause- get snacks, make love etc - then continue at same spot on the video. Pioneer and Panasonic have this.

4. Friendly user interface on the menu. This is where LG, Polaroid, RCA, Liteon HDD Recorders fail miserably- They are so difficult for anyone except an expert. Pioneer and Panasonic are easy - They are light years ahead of the others.

5. Multi Record Discs- Will record any type disc including DVD-RAM- Only the 2006 Pannys and Pioneer will do this except LG claims it also as well as Toshiba- BUT those two do not have all of the above.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Agreed, must have an ATSC/QAM tuner to allow recording of "digital" OTA or clear digital cable broadcasts (note that this doesn not necessarily mean "HD" since not all digital broadcasts are HD and HD broadcasts are downrez'd to SD to allow them to be recorded on a standard DVD anyway - so an "HDTV" tuner is a misnomer).

Also, the recorder should have different manually discrete timed recording modes (1.5 HR, 2.5 HR, 3 HR, 3.5 HR ala Pioneer) in addition to FR mode as implemented by Panny.

Independent selection of resolution (D1, half D1, etc.) for a given avg bitrate would be nice.

Variable audio input recording levels with VU meters (my old Panny DMR-E10 did this).

Selectable digital audio bitrates and modes (PCM, AC3, MP2).

All standard/dual layer DVD and CD media supported.

Dual optical disc drives to allow straight disc-to-disc duplication.

TVGOS or similar - I know many people dislike this system, but it works great for me as implemented in the Panny EH75V, probably because I solely use standard analog cable and OTA analog/digital for recording.

USB and flash media ports to allow transfer of audio, still, and video content to all types of flash and HDD media (and multiple formats) plus HDD storage expandability.

Divx (and/or other flavors of mp4) RECORDING and playback with selectable quality settings.

HD recording to standard DVD using the WMV9-HD codec.

Audio CD (both standard and mp3/wma and Video CD/SVCD recording would be cool. Why? - would rather record kids shows to VCD - because the kids don't really care that much about visual quality and who cares if a CD ultimately gets destroyed (i.e., they're still cheaper than the cheapest DVD's).

Mini-LCD, touchscreen display to simplify the user interface and provide monitoring for editing/duplicating purposes without tying up the main monitor.

More sophisticated/creative authoring and menu creation options with chapter thumbnails.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
CableCard

The cable company encodes everything but the basics.

And they send the basics out in encoded digital.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari /forum/post/0

Agreed, must have an ATSC/QAM tuner to allow recording of "digital" OTA or clear digital cable broadcasts (note that this doesn not necessarily mean "HD" since not all digital broadcasts are HD and HD broadcasts are downrez'd to SD to allow them to be recorded on a standard DVD anyway - so an "HDTV" tuner is a misnomer).

Also, the recorder should have different manually discrete timed recording modes (1.5 HR, 2.5 HR, 3 HR, 3.5 HR ala Pioneer) in addition to FR mode as implemented by Panny.

Independent selection of resolution (D1, half D1, etc.) for a given avg bitrate would be nice.

Variable audio input recording levels with VU meters (my old Panny DMR-E10 did this).

Selectable digital audio bitrates and modes (PCM, AC3, MP2).

All standard/dual layer DVD and CD media supported.

Dual optical disc drives to allow straight disc-to-disc duplication.

TVGOS or similar - I know many people dislike this system, but it works great for me as implemented in the Panny EH75V, probably because I solely use standard analog cable and OTA analog/digital for recording.

USB and flash media ports to allow transfer of audio, still, and video content to all types of flash and HDD media (and multiple formats) plus HDD storage expandability.

Divx (and/or other flavors of mp4) RECORDING and playback with selectable quality settings.

HD recording to standard DVD using the WMV9-HD codec.

Audio CD (both standard and mp3/wma and Video CD/SVCD recording would be cool. Why? - would rather record kids shows to VCD - because the kids don't really care that much about visual quality and who cares if a CD ultimately gets destroyed (i.e., they're still cheaper than the cheapest DVD's).

Mini-LCD, touchscreen display to simplify the user interface and provide monitoring for editing/duplicating purposes without tying up the main monitor.

More sophisticated/creative authoring and menu creation options with chapter thumbnails.

What good will the ATSC/QAM Tuner be if all of the channels will be set to copy once? Or Copy never. This is the way of the future, already seeing it on HBO and TNT HD. The rest are yet to come. This would make the tuner virtually unusable unless it would be to HDD only. So this is my guess why DVD recorders with HDDs are vanishing. The DVR and the DVD Recorder without H-D will be all that is left. Just an opinion. What use would there be for paying for a H-D in the DVD Recorder when you couldn't copy any show you recorded to the hard drive to DVD? Food for thought.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara /forum/post/0

Copy-once programs can also be recorded to CPRM-compliant discs, such as DVD-RAM.

Agreed, but is it really worth all the effort to get it to a DVD?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
What good would an ATSC tuner be? Well for one thing, it will be required if you want to record any OTA programming after mid-2009 when analog shuts down and is required by law anyway on anything sold in the US after Mar 2007 - so there is not much point debating the merit of the feature.

AFA COPY ONCE/NEVER flags are concerned - I doubt the copy once/copy never flags will be applicable to down rez'd content recordings - those will likely be reserved for inhibiting bit-for-bit HD copies. There should be plenty of mundane sitcom like content provided in the clear to facilitate time shifting.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I don't record OTA but I do have advice for those that have NTSC tuners in DVD recorders and want to record OTA post 2009.

Just use one of those new fandangled ATSC tuner gizmos that have been mandated and underwritten by the gov't. The same mandated ATSC tuner that will work with your NTSC tuner television will also work with your NTSC tuner DVD recorder.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

1. Divide Feature- If you record 3 programs on different channels say from 7PM to 10 PM at XP (best record mode)- you must be able to divide these 1 hour programs for one hour burning to DVD AT High Speed no loss! An HDD recorder MUST have this- Pioneer and panasonic do.

2. Flex record- This is essential. You record at 1 hour and 30 minutes or 1 hour and 10 minutes- The recorder records on the disc the very best video quality. Panasonic and Pioneer do.

3. Chase Play- You record and come back 30 minutes later and watch the beginning for 30 minutes and if you want pause- get snacks, make love etc - then continue at same spot on the video. Pioneer and Panasonic have this.

4. Friendly user interface on the menu. This is where LG, Polaroid, RCA, Liteon HDD Recorders fail miserably- They are so difficult for anyone except an expert. Pioneer and Panasonic are easy - They are light years ahead of the others.

5. Multi Record Discs- Will record any type disc including DVD-RAM- Only the 2006 Pannys and Pioneer will do this except LG claims it also as well as Toshiba- BUT those two do not have all of the above.

HG - I love your posts but I think you may be slipping a bit. I realize they are meant to be provocative but please do your research.

Assuming this was not intended to be a wish list and more of a Panasonic/Pioneer promotion (as I read it) I have the following to offer.

Here's my response to your numbered points:

1. Splitting a recording is no big deal and is not limited to the domain of Panasonic and Pioneer. Many if not most/all HDD recorders offer this. The only one I can think of that does not is Sony. I don't get your point about mentioning the two "P's" (Panasonic/Pioneer) in an exclusive sense.

2. Flex record is not limited to Panasonic or Pioneer. Plus there are other recorders that offer more manual bit rate settings plus flex recording. Again I don't get the point of mentioning the two "P's" in an exclusive sense.

3. Chase play on a HDD recorder is no big deal. Yet when I read your post I get the impression you think this feature is limited to just Panasonic and Pioneer - again in an exclusive sense.

4. Friendly menus? I'm not sure what that means. Some of the recorders you mention have very simple and friendly menus. Almost too friendly because they are simple machines. There are others that have more complex user menus than then two "P's" but offer a lot more features. Not quite sure if I track with you on this one.

More complex features = more complex user interface. For example. Microsoft Word = complex. Microsoft Notepad = simple. I'd rate your two "P's" as Microsoft Works.

5. Recording formats? I guess. In my opinion this is probably your best point. I prefer to stick with one "write once" format and one "rewritable" format. But this is only a personal opinion. I agree DL may be an advantage.

But that is about it.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/0

I don't record OTA but I do have advice for those that have NTSC tuners in DVD recorders and want to record OTA post 2009.

Just use one of those new fandangled ATSC tuner gizmos that have been mandated and underwritten by the gov't. The same mandated ATSC tuner that will work with your NTSC tuner television will also work with your NTSC tuner DVD recorder.

For what its worth...most HDTVs already have built in ATSC tuners..so for OTA-HD recording I suppose its just composite or s-vid out to the DVD recorder (480i ofcourse) and your in business.

I have not done any OTA-HD recording but I have thought alot about it lately and might need to play around with it. I suspect the downrezd PQ should be similar to what were used to with our recorders. I will let ya Know.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Myself I'm wishing for the "Commercial Advance" system that automatically cuts the commercials out for you & with menu settings for ON, OFF, Hide On Playback, Automatic Delete & Manual Delete

Also how about A true Jog/ Shuttle dial for editing on the unit & on the remote & what about Audio & Video Dubbing like VCRs used to have?

And of course
At Least give us 5.1 Audio Recording & HDMI Inputs (Good Luck On That Though)

And maybe a Fade In & Fade Out to Black Circuit too & I could go on & on

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
1. Ideally they should all have a Flex Record mode option similar to the Pioneer MN-modes. Essentially the recording quality should be independent of the recording duration!. Panasonic's FR mode is limited in some ways by linking the two.

2. They should all support DVD-RW(VR) mode! They should all support DVD-RW(VR) mode! They should all support DVD-RW(VR) mode! They should all support DVD-RW(VR) mode! They should all support DVD-RW(VR) mode!

More features after I sleep on this topic ;-)

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it has a digital tuner then it should record the digital signal such that playback will be the same as it was live. I'm not sure why, but it seems that downrezing HD content is considered perfectly acceptable. Maybe it's the emphasis on "DVD" of DVD Recorder for which there is no HD solution. And Greed Protection may prevent recording HD content anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:

HG - I love your posts but I think you may be slipping a bit. I realize they are meant to be provocative but please do your research.

Assuming this was not intended to be a wish list and more of a Panasonic/Pioneer promotion (as I read it) I have the following to offer.

Here's my response to your numbered points:

1. Splitting a recording is no big deal and is not limited to the domain of Panasonic and Pioneer. Many if not most/all HDD recorders offer this. The only one I can think of that does not is Sony. I don't get your point about mentioning the two "P's" (Panasonic/Pioneer) in an exclusive sense.

2. Flex record is not limited to Panasonic or Pioneer. Plus there are other recorders that offer more manual bit rate settings plus flex recording. Again I don't get the point of mentioning the two "P's" in an exclusive sense.

3. Chase play on a HDD recorder is no big deal. Yet when I read your post I get the impression you think this feature is limited to just Panasonic and Pioneer - again in an exclusive sense.

4. Friendly menus? I'm not sure what that means. Some of the recorders you mention have very simple and friendly menus. Almost too friendly because they are simple machines. There are others that have more complex user menus than then two "P's" but offer a lot more features. Not quite sure if I track with you on this one.

More complex features = more complex user interface. For example. Microsoft Word = complex. Microsoft Notepad = simple. I'd rate your two "P's" as Microsoft Works.

5. Recording formats? I guess. In my opinion this is probably your best point. I prefer to stick with one "write once" format and one "rewritable" format. But this is only a personal opinion. I agree DL may be an advantage.

But that is about it.

Agreed on all counts. the posts are losing credibility to me. Also in the post HG states...

"5. Multi Record Discs- Will record any type disc including DVD-RAM- Only the 2006 Pannys and Pioneer will do this except LG claims it also as well as Toshiba- BUT those two do not have all of the above.

I have thre Toshibas and NOWHERE does it make any such claim. They will record Ram but claim nothing more than DVD-R DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

I use -r only even in my Sonys (they do accept + or -) DL is a nice idea but with the cost of the discs i could use several standard discs... until the price comes down on the media is it not a consideration for me. IMHO

It;s really sad that you will not pick up a Toshiba or Sony and give it a spin, I really think you are not aware of what you are misssing.

HG, did you ever get the Toshiba you mentioned getting to test? You mentioned this in one of your other posts. Toshiba should be included before claims for the brand are made. Don't you think. Maybe best left unsaid? I too agree that you are Slipping, on credibility.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari /forum/post/0

What good would an ATSC tuner be? Well for one thing, it will be required if you want to record any OTA programming after mid-2009 when analog shuts down and is required by law anyway on anything sold in the US after Mar 2007 - so there is not much point debating the merit of the feature.

AFA COPY ONCE/NEVER flags are concerned - I doubt the copy once/copy never flags will be applicable to down rez'd content recordings - those will likely be reserved for inhibiting bit-for-bit HD copies. There should be plenty of mundane sitcom like content provided in the clear to facilitate time shifting.

I for one can not recieve any over the air where I am located without a 30ft tower. From the stats that I have seen most people have cable/dish.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:

What are the chances that any stand alone tuner will be able to be controlled by the DVDr? Any external tuner solution would make scheduled recording problematic.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This will come as no surprise to anyone who has read my posts about the Philips.

1- Excellent Recording quality.

2- Chase Play of In Progress Timer Recordings.

3- Divide Title function.

4- Frame accurate editing capabilities.

5- Support all DVD Formats.

6- Reasonable price.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
When I am ready to purchase my next HDD-DVDR, a major major consideration will be the build quality of the remote. I will put special emphasis on the quality of the buttons I use the most (FF & FR and commercial skip). Without a fully functioning remote any DVDR is useless. It amazes me at how they utterly skimp on remote build quality. After ony 2 years of use, the remote buttons on my E-85 feel like mush and I have to just about stomp on them to get it to FF or commercial skip.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.