AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My market has two stations changing their RF next year. Will we have to rescan? Their virtual channel number will not change.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Probably. It's best to be sure on 2/17/2009. Take a few minutes to re-scan. It can't hurt, right?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Yes, you will have to rescan otherwise your system will not know what the real channel is that the virtual is located on is.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Everybody - unless you KNOW that none of your stations are changing their REAL RF channel number - PLAN on doing rescans on all of your ATSC tuners on Feb 17,2009. If you're not sure - do the rescan anyway....

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
That's 4 that say to re-scan on 2/17/2009. I'd say that sums it up pretty well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I plan to re-scan on 2/17/2009. I might develop a cold that day.

Seriously, what time of day would be appropriate for a re-scan? Will the cut-overs take place after midnight? Or, will it be gradual throughout the day?

My D2A box allows me to add channels to a scan, so I'll be scanning constantly in the days following 2/17.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You need to re-scan after the transition which is midnight of the seventeenth. So you need to do it on the 18th not the 17th.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I'd rescan whenever I can't receive them
- do it on a tuner that's pretty quick before changing all of them....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Chances are if you don't have to rescan for a number of stations then you would have to manually add (and delete) at least one station I would guess.

I wonder if stations will do anything with programming on before and after transition. Like a PSA at midnight saying goodbye to analog.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost /forum/post/14313918

I wonder if stations will do anything with programming on before and after transition. Like a PSA at midnight saying goodbye to analog.

Yeah... I think that they will show a video of a flag and play the "National Anthem". Then.... static.

Then all together, we can say, "they're he-e-e-re".

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Good idea, Ratman. I'd love to see what stations come up with. It'll be a truly historical moment. Goodbye analog, static, color shifting, ghosts, sparkles, FM interference and CB interference and (for most people) VHF-Lo and the ginormous antennas need to pick up those five channels.

However, we still might see a few analog translator stations kicking around.

I think it'd be kind of funny if some network decided to cut the analog a day or even a few hours before everybody else. Then they could hold bragging rights to being the first network to cut the analog.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Only high powered analog stations are required to swicth to digital, low powered analog stations are not. That is why some of the CECB digital to analog converter boxes also support analog pass through.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
Well, you hit a major thorn with me.

Literally anyone who rescans on 2/17/2009 is wasting their time. The analog licenses do not expire until 11:59:59PM local time on 2/17/2009.

So the talk of 2/17/2009 is really incorrect for all intensive purposes and has the potential to cause all kinds of confusion. After 18 months of hype, consumers will "check" to see if the signals are gone - and guess what? They will not be!

The first time all the changes will take place will be on 2/18/2009. The date everyone should be focused on is 2/18/2009 - as 99.5% of the changes will not happen prior to that time.

2/17/2009 is the last day of analog broadcast - not the cutover date.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Who says stations are going to wait 'till the last dying second to switch over? I'm sure a lot will make the switch days/weeks before the deadline.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
February 17, 2009 is only the day that analog goes dark. It does *not* mean that on February 18th, the channels that have requested to change will actually do so. In fact, it may be MONTHS, especially to get surrounding stations to coordinate change dates, before a station's final digital allocation channel will actually go there. In my market (Chicago), 3 stations are switching channels. They will not be switching the day after. They may in fact be earlier or later than that date. It will be up to the TV station to advertise when that happens as well.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
But stations that now have "out of core" digital channels (52-69) do have to vacate those channels and switch to new ones by the deadline, right? In my DMA (Greenville SC), the "big 4" networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) all currently have out-of-core digital channels. Three of them will switch their digital signals to their old analog channels, and one (NBC) will switch to a different channel that is now occupied by the analog signal of a station in nearby Charlotte NC.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbios /forum/post/14315549

Who says stations are going to wait 'till the last dying second to switch over? I'm sure a lot will make the switch days/weeks before the deadline.

Incorrect. Most will not cutoff their analog signal until the last second. Being involved with this, its causing major problems as some stations will not vacate the frequency until 2/17/2009 at 11:59:59PM and we do not have time to test out the new facility (owned by another licensee) on that frequency until that point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/14315638

February 17, 2009 is only the day that analog goes dark. It does *not* mean that on February 18th, the channels that have requested to change will actually do so.

First, again, 2/18/2009 is the day that analog goes dark....this is where I wish that 2/17/2009 was never ever mentioned.

Second, yes, those channel WILL ACTUALLY be at the new position on 2/19/2009.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/14315051

The first time all the changes will take place will be on 2/18/2009. The date everyone should be focused on is 2/18/2009 - as 99.5% of the changes will not happen prior to that time.

2/17/2009 is the last day of analog broadcast - not the cutover date.

Most stations that haven't shutdown analog before, as you have noted, will have until 11:59:59 PM. Most will not wait until the last minute unless they will not be moving back to their analog channel or another channel post transition. For those stations, it is simply a turn off the analog transmitter and life goes on and they CAN wait until then, if they wish, but I suspect you will not have too many of them either. Most will turn off during the early morning of the 17th or during daylight hours, particularly if they have to shutdown one transmitter to replace it with another one into the same antenna. That is something you don't want to be doing at the last minute unless you have the hardware installed to make a fast switch or a whole separate transmitter site ready to go, something many of the smaller stations will not have.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Boyce /forum/post/14313795

You need to re-scan after the transition which is midnight of the seventeenth. So you need to do it on the 18th not the 17th.

I'm glad someone caught that.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I doubt that one re-scan will be sufficient in many cases. On the spreadsheet, I am tracking when the analog signals are supposed to end, but what will actually happen could be different.

Be prepared to scan any time a signal cannot be received and note that some stations will be dark for a while as well. It could be a rough patch for months, starting in September for some areas (not even including Wilmington, NC).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts