AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1409 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I still say the comparison is valid. I've had people tell me many times that if I listen to flat bass for a couple weeks then I'll never want to go back to hot bass. Same thing here I'm guessing.
Well one of them is just more of a good thing (Bass) Still tight. Still pleasing. Just more of it.

But instead of being more of a good thing........an improper image can look unpleasing. Washed out. It loses the contrast and hence the punch that is associated with a good image.

So for the comparison to be valid I think we would have to muddy up the bass. More bass but just bad sound.

At any rate we can agree to disagree on this one. I still loved watching movies at your place even BEFORE you projector upgrade AND BEFORE your black out project. I'm sure it is even better now. So no worries.

Edit: Totally agree about the going back part. Once you have your display in some kind of torch mode and you switch to a better calibrated image it looks worse initially and you want to go back as fast as possible. Same with bass. I think we all bump the bass up compared to flat......some more than others!

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts
Holy crap it was WHITE before !!!!!! The attractive thing about the protostar is the adhesive backing right? I used staples and it was difficult. As long as it stays then I'm fine. I just finished up the project and fired up the PJ again the other night. I made a post in the "Black Improvement" thread if anyone is interested. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1465053-black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back-104.html#post50806209
Just the grid was white, I have Black panels that I installed, but intend eventually to do the theater black F tiles like Jon has, as they are even darker than what I have currently. the F tiles also aren;t made of that crappy compressed stuff that everytime the bass hits, it starts snowing.

The protostar does have the adhesive backing. It's expensive for the large sheets, but for the 1 inch thick roll of 250 ft. it was only i think $40. It won't quite take care of the entire theater, but I'll order another one when I get to that point I recon.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Then I will dive into Uncharted 4 before the PC master race around these parts convince me to build a million dollar rig!
I think I am going to try to finish Uncharted 4 and Horizon over the next month. Then it's back to the master race. :devil:

PC parts have really come down in price since you last priced one out. :p A million might get you a macbook or something of the like but for a gaming rig you are looking at $1,000 give or take a bit for options.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Well one of them is just more of a good thing (Bass) Still tight. Still pleasing. Just more of it.

But instead of being more of a good thing........an improper image can look unpleasing. Washed out. It loses the contrast and hence the punch that is associated with a good image.

So for the comparison to be valid I think we would have to muddy up the bass. More bass but just bad sound.

At any rate we can agree to disagree on this one. I still loved watching movies at your place even BEFORE you projector upgrade AND BEFORE your black out project. I'm sure it is even better now. So no worries.
For sure, not much of a disagreement anyway. I know black levels matter (oops) I just think that for me it's not as important as brightness and clarity. It's a close 3rd. I know that could change too though.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
What do yall do, just have a little tv table you roll in front of your HT seat or something? :p
For PC gaming? I have two options currently. I either play in my office on a normal PC setup with a monitor and keyboard or I can play in my theater with a wireless Xbox controller.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
What do yall do, just have a little tv table you roll in front of your HT seat or something? :p

I probably stand in limited company in this crowd - but PC gaming is clearly better on a big monitor on a big stable desk surface with mouse and keyboard. I've never found a good lap solution for competitive PC gaming on my projector. I use some variant of this for limited projector mouse and keyboard use - https://www.amazon.com/LapGear-Exec...TF8&qid=1487268201&sr=8-29&keywords=lap+board
One will NEVER be as precise with a lapboard as you can on a big desk surface. Accuracy matters with PC based gaming multiplayer - we don't rely on the autoaim you console peasants use. :devil:

thumbsticks... :p

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
I probably stand in limited company in this crowd - but PC gaming is clearly better on a big monitor on a big stable desk surface with mouse and keyboard. I've never found a good lap solution for competitive PC gaming on my projector. I use some variant of this for limited projector mouse and keyboard use - https://www.amazon.com/LapGear-Exec...TF8&qid=1487268201&sr=8-29&keywords=lap+board
One will NEVER be as precise with a lapboard as you can on a big desk surface. Accuracy matters with PC based gaming multiplayer - we don't rely on the autoaim you console peasants use. :devil:

Werd.

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts

I'll show you some autoaim.... :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Holy crap it was WHITE before !!!!!! The attractive thing about the protostar is the adhesive backing right? I used staples and it was difficult. As long as it stays then I'm fine. I just finished up the project and fired up the PJ again the other night. I made a post in the "Black Improvement" thread if anyone is interested. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1465053-black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back-104.html#post50806209

Before

After

Close up

I have also found the low lag mode on the 2017 JVC's to be superb. I tested it with Resogun which requires lots of fast twitch control. I am really pumped about getting into gaming again. I will be trading in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro to get HDR to play nice with my JVC. Then I will dive into Uncharted 4 before the PC master race around these parts convince me to build a million dollar rig!

Well, the subs were a sweet deal back then and the deal got even sweeter. Now I realize that the old LF's are a step down in a few ways compared to the LFU. We will see how much difference it makes.
Ya know, I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing the JVC DLA-RS520 and comparing it to what I have seen on the Epson 6040ub. I see that the 520 goes a little higher on up scaling to 4K then the 6040, but the price tag is also $3000 more and making the the 6040 work on my budget is hard enough and convincing my wife that it will be around for a long time to make it worth the money to spend. The 6040 has a lag time for gaming at 30 ms so that would be good enough for what my son and I do. Wish we could do a side by side of the two.
Just my $0.02

I recently got to see one of the new Epson's (think the 6040) at one of our local AV shops. I've seen the previous models there and in some local Home Theaters. The new model was very nice. Smooth picture, nice color saturation, good motion handling. Another great Epson.

Having said that, I honestly wouldn't trade my 4 year old JVC for it. This could easily be the store setup, but the contrast and black floor were clearly lacking for me. Once you've lived with a deep black floor and nice native contrast, it's pretty hard to go back (at least for me). On the flip side the RS500 in DLBeck's theater is amazing. A clear step up in every way from what I have and a better overall picture than the native 4K Sony I've seen (which threw a beautiful picture in its own right). I haven't seen an RS420, but unless you need a ton of brightness I imagine with it's manual iris adjusted properly it should be able to throw a gorgeous high contrast picture with a deep black floor. And at a nice savings over the 520.

I know that sounds like cheer leading for JVC, but really I just go for what suits my needs at the best price (my budget is always tight). Right now I'm going to be saving my pennies for a 520 unless I see something that really challenges it for less.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
Nice...

Should we pick a bar at the airport and meetup? Get a head start... :D
Don't know my way around the KCI too well but I remember ...not much. Definitely should meetup. Where are you staying at, Dom?

I can't focus for SH%$ right now Im so amped
Seriously, I am too. :D I'm so excited! Can't wait to see you guys.

921 - 940 of 1409 Posts