AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the ATI dongle with an AIW 8500DV to my Panasonic 53" HDTV.

I have been very frustrated that the max resolution I can obtain (without overscan) is only 640X480 in "optimized 480p" mode. (When in 480p mode, I am stuck in 8 bit color, too!!) I mainly need it for desktop applications and video capture. I am using WinXP, which isn't designed for 640X480, so navigating option menus is quite a chore.

I have tried custom resolutions in Powerstrip, and nothing seems to work.

If I get a better component adapter, such as the Key Digital VTCA-2, will I be able to get higher resolutions without overscan? Or does my problem lie in the Catalyst drivers?

I would like at least 800X600 (or 16X9 equivalent)

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the Audio Authority transcoder and 848x480 has no overscan. 960x540, which I'm using for DVDs, has some overscan but when watching DVDs I can't tell that its any different than the overscan on my Samsung DVD player. I'm using a GF4Ti 4200.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed the Key Digital and Audio Authority transcoders are VGA-component. Won't I get better video quality if I go direct DVI-component, rather than using a DVI-VGA adapter?

If so, can someone recommend a good DVI-component adapter?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Have you tried using PowerStrip with the ATI card and Adapter per Karnis' guide?

I was considering getting the KD transcoder to connect to my 53" Sony but now that I understand 1080i out of a Radeon 9500 can work I'd rather upgrade my aging Radeon LE for about the same money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes... I tried using the Powerstrip settings in Karnis' guide. None of them worked.

The only thing that worked was to use the Catalyst drivers "480p optimized" mode, but I'm stuck at 640X480

Will a better transcoder allow me to get higher resolutions??

Is there a direct DVI-component transcoder, or do I need to use a DVI-VGA adapter with a VGA-Component transcoder?

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funky_K
Yes... I tried using the Powerstrip settings in Karnis' guide. None of them worked.

The only thing that worked was to use the Catalyst drivers "480p optimized" mode, but I'm stuck at 640X480

Will a better transcoder allow me to get higher resolutions??

Is there a direct DVI-component transcoder, or do I need to use a DVI-VGA adapter with a VGA-Component transcoder?

Thanks
Yes, transcoder will allow higher res than the dongle.

You'll have to do DVI to VGA then VGA to component if you want to use the DVI. There is no DVI to component transcoder, that I know of.

I do notice a difference between direct DVI to my TV and the VGA to component transcoder. But, I can't get a stable picture with DVI, only a scrolling picture. Will going DVI->VGA->Transcoder be any better than VGA->Transcoder?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If your set is 1080i, the best progressive scan rez you will get is 540p. Anything higher will have to be interlaced, & the adapter only likes one custom rez: 856x480, and 2 interlaced rez:1776x1000i and 1920x1080i.

I would avoid connecting a transcoder to the DVi port, you will have increased problems with virtual desktops. Always connect a transcoder to the VGA port for optimal control.

Funky: How do you have the dip switches set on the adapter? I have 1080i and 16x9 "on". I can get 640x480, 720x480, 856x480, 1776x1000i and 1920x1080i all to work, and Powerstrip can control the timings of these rez to thwart overscan.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Quote:
When in 480p mode, I am stuck in 8 bit color, too
I suppose there are various reasons why this might happen, but has anyone else noticed a change in color palette, or signs of dithering when using the ATI dongle?

I contacted ATI to ask what RGB color depth (24-bit, 16-bit or 8-bit) they're using for conversion to YUV, and they couldn't provide any information.

Not trying to perpetuate any rumors, just curious what others impressions are.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies

I will try the dipswitch settings Karnis recommended and see if I can get 856X480.

Not quite sure how to use Powerstrip to control the timings and thwart overscan... any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Set the resolution to 856x480 with the ATI control panel and then switch to 540p timings (33.75H, 60V) in Powerstrip. I believe Karnis has already posted the exact timings he has used.

This will only work if your HDTV normally displays SD material at 480p as some HDTVs convert everything to 540p making this method for controlling overscan ineffective.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dipswitches 1080i and 16X9 are on. Still no luck. With both 856X480 and 848X480 in powerstrip, I am getting major overscan. If I lock the geometry and mess with the porches, I still cannot correct the overscan. Is there something else I should be doing?

Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
Set the resolution to 856x480 with the ATI control panel
What do you mean by ATI control panel? Other than powerstrip, the only place I can find to adjust the resolution is the resolution slider in the settings tab of the desktop properties... 856X480 is not an option. Only the standard resolutions are available there.

Is there another location where I should be setting to 856X480?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Funky:

You have the dongle set correctly.

First In Powerstrip, set the resolution to 856x480p. It will be horizontally overscanned.

Then, click the "advanced timings" button.

Next, click the "custom resolution" button. Locate the small COPY and PASTE buttons.

Now, copy the Powerstrip timing string.........

856x480p HDTV adapter=856,88,48,120,480,28,1,54,37530,272

Generic timing details for 856x480:

HFP=88 HSW=48 HBP=120 kHz=34 VFP=28 VSW=1 VBP=54 Hz=60

+hsync +vsync

.....then click the PASTE button in the custom resolution screen. The copied timing string values should now appear in the value boxes.

Click "add new resolution" and follow the on-screen prompt.

See if this works better. You can get more timings for adapter-compatible resolutions in the HDTV adapter section of the guide in my sig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.