AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've about had it with using the PS3 as a media hub.

When I first got it, I imagined I'd have a perfect solution to my media needs. I could use the web browser to download AVI's and store them on a 300GB HD. What more could I want?

Well, the honeymoon's over.

Nothing bites more than to get a video that won't play, and I've been averaging 1-out-of-4 AVI's being incompatible with my PS3. In every case, it's been the audio codec that causes problems. You have to jump through hoops to re-encode the audio, and the re-encoded audio always ends up out of sync.

Sure, I could use TVersity... But that ties up my PC. I can't use it while I'm transcoding video on the fly.

If it weren't for the BluRay player, I'd have scrapped the system a long time ago and gone with a stand-alone media player.

How does everyone else cope with the media problems on the system?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 /forum/post/15590815

I haven't run into too many .avi's that won't play. a rare one here or there and if that happens I just stream it to my 360.

Ahh, but that's not really an option for me. I don't own a 360, and I don't have enough of a gaming habit to support one.

It's also a streaming solution. Streaming works well if you are the only person in the house; you can't physically be on your PC and on your couch watching a movie on your TV.

If you have family who use the PS3 to watch videos, you run into the "Don't watch a video because I'm trying to use my PC" problem.

I just wish that the PS3 had better video support. (Or at least, I wish I knew how to recode audio and keep it in sync.)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNobody /forum/post/15590913

It's also a streaming solution. Streaming works well if you are the only person in the house; you can't physically be on your PC and on your couch watching a movie on your TV.

If you have family who use the PS3 to watch videos, you run into the "Don't watch a video because I'm trying to use my PC" problem.

I have a cheap P3 3.0 Ghz with 1 GB of ram, and have streamed with Tversity to two ps3's while my son was playing Tales of Pirates without any complaints.

I have done the same with the ps3s and a 360 with a tivo download happening in the background as well.

I rarely hit more then 50% cpu utilization while using Tversity, and never have out of synch errors.

Have you even TRIED this method?

(oh and if you install AC3filter and disable AC3 filtering in ffmpg your audio will work fine as well)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/15591052

I have a cheap P3 3.0 Ghz with 1 GB of ram, and have streamed with Tversity to two ps3's while my son was playing Tales of Pirates without any complaints.

I have done the same with the ps3s and a 360 with a tivo download happening in the background as well.

I rarely hit more then 50% cpu utilization while using Tversity, and never have out of synch errors.

Have you even TRIED this method?

(oh and if you install AC3filter and disable AC3 filtering in ffmpg your audio will work fine as well)

I only have a P4 Northwood 2.4 that's about 5 years old. I chose to buy a PS3 instead of a new PC. LOL. Yes, I run into problems, both bandwidth-wise and processing-wise. I've tried it a few times out of desperation, and I've always been disappointed. Streaming just doesn't work as well as having the video on your PS3's HDD.

I guess I want my cake and eat it too: full codec compatibility w/o streaming.

Now about the AC3 filtering... Are you saying installing AC3filter would let me use ffmpg w/o any syncing issues? What audio codec would I be recoding my files to?

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's odd. I haven't had any issues streaming my .avi files from my computer to my PS3. What codecs aren't working?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNobody /forum/post/15590913

Ahh, but that's not really an option for me. I don't own a 360, and I don't have enough of a gaming habit to support one.

1- The 360 is *not* solely a streaming solution; it *will* play media off USB-connected drives as long as they're formated as Fat32 or HFS+.

2- Have you looked into Popcorn Hour and its media tank siblings? Sounds like that's what you're really looking for; standalone file download and playback in the living room.
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...option=catalog

·
Registered
63 Posts
use PS3 Media Server instead of TVersity and all others. It is extremely easy to setup and it plays virtually every file you throw at it, even 720p/1080i/1080p HD files , MKV files, etc.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNobody /forum/post/15590793

I've about had it with using the PS3 as a media hub.

When I first got it, I imagined I'd have a perfect solution to my media needs. I could use the web browser to download AVI's and store them on a 300GB HD. What more could I want?

Well, the honeymoon's over.

Nothing bites more than to get a video that won't play, and I've been averaging 1-out-of-4 AVI's being incompatible with my PS3. In every case, it's been the audio codec that causes problems. You have to jump through hoops to re-encode the audio, and the re-encoded audio always ends up out of sync.

Sure, I could use TVersity... But that ties up my PC. I can't use it while I'm transcoding video on the fly.

If it weren't for the BluRay player, I'd have scrapped the system a long time ago and gone with a stand-alone media player.

How does everyone else cope with the media problems on the system?

It's a little unfair to blame the PS3 if you're downloading presumably illegal copies of movies and shows that use a plethora of codecs that most PC's cant even play without a lot of specialty software that "average joe" doesnt know how to access or use (ffmpeg/ac3filter/etc).

Maybe you could try Hulu instead to watch most of the same movies and shows without having to have a local file?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc /forum/post/15592247

use PS3 Media Server instead of TVersity and all others. It is extremely easy to setup and it plays virtually every file you throw at it, even 720p/1080i/1080p HD files , MKV files, etc.

Agreed.

With PMS, you can set a transcoding limit as well as a bandwidth limit. This would really help you out. Also, is your PS3 wireless or wired? What about your computer? It's been suggested many times that if you're streaming, wired is the way to go. I use wireless myself, and have to deal with increased seek times and controller lag.

Aside from that, almost everything works with PMS. http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

And if that doesn't work, you can always install Linux

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath /forum/post/15593032

Agreed.

With PMS, you can set a transcoding limit as well as a bandwidth limit. This would really help you out. Also, is your PS3 wireless or wired? What about your computer? It's been suggested many times that if you're streaming, wired is the way to go. I use wireless myself, and have to deal with increased seek times and controller lag.

Aside from that, almost everything works with PMS. http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

And if that doesn't work, you can always install Linux

Another vote for PMS

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
PMS is excellent, but it also ties up your PC, which is something the OP doesn't want to do.

The best media server IMO is still the original Xbox with XBMC. Unfortunately, it's no longer powerful enough to deal with HD material.

Sadly, the most comprehensive solution for a media center that plays everything remains a PC. You'd think by now that somebody would have come up with a more cost-effective and efficient solution, huh?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
i agree for the most part with the original poster. the ps3 has so much potential, yet it is hampered by what in my opinion is some terribly inadequate software. there is no excuse why it shouldn't be able to play any media file thrown at it, from avi to divx to mkv, yet in my experience it has been really hit or miss. maybe one out of every 3-4 files simply will not play on my ps3 without being recoded. my 360, on the other hand, plays pretty much everything thrown at it.

to me this is one of the big failings of sony. they are too slow with the firmware updates these days, and there is nothing holding the system back from being the best media streaming device in the world other than its software. like i said in another post, most of the 2009 televisions will be able to play media files such as mkv before the ps3 does, and that's just wrong

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds /forum/post/15594013

PMS is excellent, but it also ties up your PC, which is something the OP doesn't want to do.

The best media server IMO is still the original Xbox with XBMC. Unfortunately, it's no longer powerful enough to deal with HD material.

Sadly, the most comprehensive solution for a media center that plays everything remains a PC. You'd think by now that somebody would have come up with a more cost-effective and efficient solution, huh?

You would think... But no.

If someone could make a cheap ($100) box with a web browser / network access, local storage or USB/eSata HDD support, and frequently updated codecs, we'd have a winner.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The 360 plays .mkv?

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds /forum/post/15594013

PMS is excellent, but it also ties up your PC

Explain this to me. What in the heck would you be doing on your server that would be tied up by streaming or transcoding?

What the user wants is something of a pipe dream right now so you do with what you can get now or keep dreaming. Codec issues will always be a problem because there are too many out there. If you want Sony to fix your issues, tough luck. You couldn't pay them enough.

PMS is free, Tversity is free. All you need is a sufficiently powerful server. These are things you can get now to do pretty much anything. They still have limitations but this is as close as you will ever get to playing everything on your PS3 barring some miracle from Sony. Don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Streaming without a 3rd party prog has been broken for me since 2.54 or whatever the latest firmware update was, and I don't use my PS3 enough to waste time trying to fix it. I installed PMS after reading how easy to use it was, but have not been successful with it - for whatever reason it says my shared directories are all empty and/or gives me random errors.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I have never had a problem streaming video content and using my laptop at the same time. Granted, it's a dual-core 3ghz/ 4gb ram behemoth, but I have been very happy with PMS's light weight so to speak.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm with you. I finally gave up after number encoding and reencoding attempts. I bought a Popcorn Hour A-110. It's not perfect and the menu looks like crap but it plays pretty much everything I have thrown at it. So far only one old encode I had had audio sync issues.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts