AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im done. i need a graphics card, i done with the intel integrated graphics. Their drivers are pathetic. I tried to upgrade to a win7 driver but it crashes live tv in MCE, and the vista driver im using is barely stable, it crashes every so often in media browser if i push it too hard,sdtv stutters like all hell, plus i found out that the horizontal lines i have is from the driver as well.

there is no stability with these drivers.

Its a shame, its a solid chipset, but the drivers flat out suck. Even the driver when using vista had the occasional horizontal lines but it was more prevalent then.

so i need a new card. I really just to watch hdtv and bluray, but i may want to play the occasional game if the price is right.

i also want solid win7 support. and good display settings to get the screen size right.

so what do i get?, i don't want to spend a fortune, it has to be quiet and low profile, i was looking at the ati 4350, newegg has a great price on that right now.

should i go ati or nvidia?

im going to order tomorrow or Monday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same trouble with both my G45 (Gigabyte and Asus)boards, but managed to get it semi-sorted.

Allocate the max amount of memory in BIOS, and pavp lite then try drivers from Intel website for Vista 32 (1688) I think, live TV works no problem and no crashes.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinePhil /forum/post/16969082

I had the same trouble with both my G45 (Gigabyte and Asus)boards, but managed to get it semi-sorted.

Allocate the max amount of memory in BIOS, and pavp lite then try drivers from Intel website for Vista 32 (1688) I think, live TV works no problem and no crashes.

What's pavp lite? Im using 16.31 i think. i thought they were the latest.

I allocated the memory already and and its seems like tv, at least for HD works ok. only a few horizontal lines as compared to vista, but sdtv looks terrible. but the thing that dives me nuts is the crashes, last night i was watching a ripped dvd from MB and when i exited to watch live tv, my screen blacks out, of and on. and then blue screen. I hate that i cant trust the stability.

Vista had the occasional hor. lines but i tolerated it becuase it was rock solid stable.

I need to get this fixed before my dvr starts going full tilt when the fall shows start up.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you don't need anything more than spdif passthrough over HDMI I would reccomend an nVidia card, I've heard a bunch about the driver differences lately, so I a side by side, and I guess I got lucky in that I've been using just nVidia cards for a few years now, the drivers are smaller and the adjustments are just so easy compared to CCC.

With that in mind I'd say either a 9600GT or, if you want to game, Sparkle makes a 9800GT that is low profile, only one I know of and probably the most powerful low profile card you can get with HDMI.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My Intel board is solid now. Drivers work fine. No crashing. Maybe you have other issues such as memory?

That said i'd recommend an ATI 4670. It's about the best you can get for HTPC in terms if image quality and you get HDMI audio too.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/16969704

My Intel board is solid now. Drivers work fine. No crashing. Maybe you have other issues such as memory?

That said i'd recommend an ATI 4670. It's about the best you can get for HTPC in terms if image quality and you get HDMI audio too.

What driver are you using?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16969826

What driver are you using?

The most recent one on their website, as of yesterday. I actually haven't had any crashing in months. I would say since march. And I always update to the latest drivers.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
windows 7?

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have two machines (running xbmc) using dg45fc with intel x4500hd ; works just fine; stable as hell (many months of continuous uptime on each)

maybe something else is the issue? heat? memory? psu?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Another unhappy x4500hd user here. I specifically bought an Intel MB with x4500HD graphics so that I could avoid getting an add-on card -- live and learn.

I'm using it with XP and the very latest drivers. I also get horizontal lines / tearing, as well as a report from PowerDVD that drivers are not compatible with blu ray.

Any advice re: a replacement graphics card would be appreciated.

bb

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDV /forum/post/16971139

i have two machines (running xbmc) using dg45fc with intel x4500hd ; works just fine; stable as hell (many months of continuous uptime on each)

maybe something else is the issue? heat? memory? psu?

no my problems are specifically with window7, like i said the driver was stable with occasional hor. lines, but with every driver i try on win7 i get a different experience. Using the latest and greatest for win7 wont even allow live tv to play. if i roll back the driver my live tv plays fine but i get crashing, and now i get messages that i need 64mb graphic memory even though all 128 is allocated in the bios.

there is constantly a video error every time it wakes from sleep.

anyway, enough complaints, i need a new card what are the recommendations? gaming is required, but i would like to be able to handle it if i decided to get madden or GTA. im not a serious gamer, its mainly for an htpc.

is the ati 4350 good enough?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts