AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anybody remembers, but awhile back I was looking at buying either some M&K speakers, or some B&W speakers.

I actually bought some M&K demo's from Magnolia Hi-Fi, the LCR-750 MK II's. I got them for my front 3 speakers. But ultimately, I wasn't happy with their sound. I quickly discovered that certain speakers need some kick ass power and just don't sound good at all with cheaper receivers.

The thing is, I've had Energy C8's as my mains in my Living Room theater for like 6 years or so now. The center channel is an Energy AC-300 center. It's timbre matched with the C8's and it's an amazing sounding front soundstage. I hooked the M&K LCR-750's up to this theater, in place of the C8's and AC-300, and the sound was just weak in comparison. Didn't give me that excitement. Now don't get it wrong, I know those LCR-750's can sing with the right amp, but I just don't see myself affording that kind of amp any time soon.

So I ended up returning them and getting my money back.

But the real reason that I ended up returning them, is the fact that I saw an auction on Ebay for some Energy C8 mains. When these speakers first came out, way back in like 1999 or so, they cost $1500 per pair. Of course that was the MSRP, you could definitely get them for less than that per pair, but these things are pretty damn good speakers. Just below their veritas line. I honestly think that the C8's are Energy's finest non veritas speaker. A pair was for sale on there, with a starting bid of $499.99. I could see that some dude from Canada had already contacted the seller to see if he could ship to Canada and he said yes he could. So I was figuring that I would have to battle a couple of people to win the pair of C8's. But luckily nobody but me ended up bidding for them, and I got them for $499.99 plus shipping. The grand total for shipping turned out to be like $77 with the insurance and everything. C8's are incredibly heavy speakers. Like 60 pounds each, or more.

Anyways, I basically paid $288.00, for each C8 tower.

Now the thing was, I was still totally worried that I paid almost $600 for some used speakers on Ebay, and that when they arrived they might be damaged and not sound right. I had a bad experience just a week prior buying a speaker off Ebay that ended up having a blown tweeter. So I was kinda freaked out. I also noticed that on this auction, in the fine print it said that all items are sold "as is".

So I really started to freak out. I didn't really pay attention to that.

So anyways, I ended up getting the speakers delivered today, and could you freaking believe it, Fed Ex left them right out in front of my house. (Well actually they hid them by the side of the house behind my Garbage Can thing, but still, somebody could have seen them there and carried them into their car and drove off. So I was kinda shocked by that. But both boxes were there, so I was cool with it. I opened them up, and was pleasantly suprised that they were actually packed quite well.

Of course the real test was whether or not their sound was up to par. Or if they had a blown tweeter or something.

So I removed my original C8's from my living room theater, and put these Ebay C8's in the other C8's spots and hooked them up. Actually, I did one speaker at a time, to hear them in comparison to mine, which I know where working good. I put on a music CD that I've heard a number of times on my old C8's, and the sound was perfect with the first speaker. YES. Then I tried it with the second speaker. The sound was perfect again! YES.

So I got a pair of C8's, used off Ebay for $288 each speaker, and they sound great.

I'm so freaking happy about this. I'm going to use these speakers in my Garage Front Projection Theater that I've been working on. They will be my mains, and I'm going to need to get another Energy AC-300 to be my center. Of course it would be even better if I had an Acoustically Transparent screen and I could use 3 C8's in the front! But I don't have a spare 5 grand to blow on a AT screen.

Right now I'm going to use a pair of Energy C2's as direct radiating surrounds in a 5.1 configuration, but I plan on getting another pair of C2's and use them as the 4 surrounds in a 7.1 configuration.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that the place that I bought these from, has another pair of these for sale on Ebay right now, and there is only like 1 day left.

I can't say that anybody that would buy these would have the same luck as I did, so if you bid on them, bid at your own risk, but the ones I got work great, and supposedly they are all from the same guy. Some guy was using them at trade shows for some kind of audio/video demonstration, and he had more than one pair of them. Mine work great sound wise, but who knows if the other pair works great.

If they do, then they are an aboslute steal if you can get them for the opening bid. The opening bid is $499.99 again, and the shipping would likely be around $80 or so.

If somebody ends up getting these, let me know how they turned out. I'm almost tempted to buy these ones as well, just because it's such a steal of a deal to get that high quality of a speaker for only $288 per speaker. Man, just think if you had 7 of these towers!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.