AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm in the process of finally adding some AV toys to my bonus room. I've attached a picture of the room. Blue painter's tape marks out the furniture as a reference.

Please ignore the ceiling fan and wall color as both will be changed.

Room Use:

- Primarily for gaming and watching movies.

- Secondary use is listening to streaming music and watching streamed video.

- This is never going to be a true HT environment but it's going to be comfy.

Proposed Components:

- Panasonic Plasma in the 50" plus range. It will hang on the wall so a slim profile is important. (roughly $2200)

- Sony PS3 120GB for both gaming a Blu Ray playback (roughly $400)

- Logitech DUET for audio ($150)

- PopcornHour Popbox for streaming video ($150)

- Denon 2310CI receiver. I'd like all video components to connect into this and for this to do the switching / upscaling but I'm really concerned about lag for gaming. It also allows RS-232 control. (roughly $900).

- Orb Audio 5.1 speakers with 10" sub-woofer. While not really high-end, the reviews are good and they have a high Wife Acceptance Factor. ($1600)

This gives me a total of $5400 so I have some head room for cabling, mounting brackets etc.

Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like you have a great spot and a great start. You asked for opinions so here it is...

Flat panels are great but for around $2K you could go with a Projector and screen for a bigger wow factor. Could you imagine gaming on a 96" - 110" screen?

And as far as speakers go for $1600 you could upgrade the speaker choice and start with a front stage and sub and add surrounds later when you get more cash. This is the way I went and have not regretted it yet.

As for your concern over lag in gaming, don't worry about it. Lag is more about your internet connections more so than the way the system runs through your compnents. I have my PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo and then to my flat panel and I haven't noticed any laggy issues.

There is my 2 cents, take them for what it is worth. Anyway you go I am sure you will be pleased.

Luke

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 /forum/post/18299577

Looks like you have a great spot and a great start. You asked for opinions so here it is...

Flat panels are great but for around $2K you could go with a Projector and screen for a bigger wow factor. Could you imagine gaming on a 96" - 110" screen?

And as far as speakers go for $1600 you could upgrade the speaker choice and start with a front stage and sub and add surrounds later when you get more cash. This is the way I went and have not regretted it yet.

As for your concern over lag in gaming, don't worry about it. Lag is more about your internet connections more so than the way the system runs through your compnents. I have my PS3 hooked up to my Onkyo and then to my flat panel and I haven't noticed any laggy issues.

There is my 2 cents, take them for what it is worth. Anyway you go I am sure you will be pleased.

Luke

I agree, why not do a projector and a screen. Put the screen on the 12 foot wall and put a PJ near where the picture is taken and get rid of the fan if you have to. You have a good space for it. I have about hte same dimensions in my living room and have a 50" plasma on the 11 foot wall in your diagram. While it's fine, it doesn't scream home theater to me. Trust me, I would put a PJ in if it wasn't for WAF, but perhaps you are dealing with that as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If its primarily movies and games, why not PJ? There are great PJ's now that can be had for less than the 2200+ you are willing to spend on a plasma. 12 feet from a 50" plasma could end up a disappointment. As far as those Orbs, you can probably do better for less. They are listed as "optimally 120hz and up" so now you have to depend on the sub to do at least 120hz and down. Not what a sub should be doing really. The Energy Takes would likely do better for much less and they are small as well. As far as WAF, all us married dudes have to deal with it. But, its a bonus room. Why compromise if its going to be for movies, games, and family fun? For some, your 6k is nothing. But, if your like me, you want as much bang for buck and audio/visual impact you can afford.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I like the space, but not the layout for a couple of reasons. First off, the display is going to be washed with ambient light from the window and given an apparent WAF in play, i'm sure light control is outtathequestion. Second, the sectional is against the window wall which is a bit of an ergonomic nono. I'd suggest using the back wall as the display wall and rotate the sectional 90 degrees counterclock and shift to the left. It'll act as a room divider and with close clearance to the wall will make the space seem larger.

As for the PJ/TV debate, i agree with the other posters on the size of the dsiplay but a PJ isn't for everyone. In this case and with the low low cost of Plasma flatpanels, i'd go with 58" or larger at that viewing distance of a primary display. You're proposed budget covers quite a few respectable 1080p Plasmas at 58".....Sammy and Panasonic can both be had at authorized retailers for less than $2k. This one comes to mind with coupon codes

http://www.6ave.com/shop/Product.aspx?sku=PANTCP58V10

As to the Denon.....it's overkill and just about outdated. Check out the new Pioneer 1020 and 1120.....

The Orbs.......boy is that a mistake. No way No how do those produce the dynamics needed for HT or gaming. If you really want high WAF, go premium in walls. The newer well engineered versions are leaps and bounds above the Orbs and very stealthy. Here's an example of a rediculous bargain of a very capable high end in wall. Since music is part of the usage, these would be steller in that application.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENKV22

Match these up with a pair of in-ceilings for surround duty about 4-6ft behind the listening position and you're all set. Forget the 7.1 in such a small space, there's simply not enough room for the imaging to happen IMO. You'll need the $$ for a capable subwoofer. the Orb subs aren't even close.

Logitech Duet....pretty nice but quirky. I've switched to AppleTv and Airport expresses using iTouches as remotes. Cheaper and more flexible IMO. Easily expandable too. I walk through my house turining on and off all sorts of media with just the iTouch. All hidden and very high WAF.

So good luck on your journey and you've started off pretty well. I'd seperate all of the above purchases and start threads in the respective forums for each....Plasma Displays,BD Players, AVRs and Processors.....but....skip the speakers threads. WAAAAAAAY to opinionated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All

Thank you so much for the feedback as it's given me a LOT to think about but let me address a few of the themes that have been raised:

- Projector. This is a non-starter as the fan is going to stay and the additional ceiling mount has been ruled out. In addition, neither my wife nor I am crazy about the screen. This is just a personal taste thing.

- Rotating the layout. The room is going to be used primarily in the evening so light isn't going to be as much of a problem. My wife is also quite happy for us to install some goof block-out curtains. I'm also not sure if I want to divide teh room as it's not going to be used for anything else.

- In-wall / In ceiling installation. Yup, I've been considering this seriously but surely this means I'm throwing $2k's worth of speakers into the house and they're never coming with me?

Thanks again and I like the advice of breaking out the components into the dedicated forums.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You bet they're coming with you! A little drywall and some compound gets the holes out! It's just as easy to patch as it is to do the install.....maybe even easier. And you can do the whole 5 way for less that $1k ans still kick the snot outta the orb system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am actually trying to stay as close as I can to these numbers, but I own some components. Here are my thoughts for my bonus room...

I am still deciding between a 63" samsung plasma for [email protected] or a projector + screen, definitive technology bp7006 for 849 a piece, the matching center for 525, the rears for 225 a piece. I currently own the onkyo sr707, and have a ps3 for the blue ray player. I am really liking the sounds of the def techs. any advice for me?? I have also been looking at some martin logan and paradigm speakers. Any reason why I should do either brand??

·
Registered
6,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcameron /forum/post/18306316

I am actually trying to stay as close as I can to these numbers, but I own some components. Here are my thoughts for my bonus room...

I am still deciding between a 63" samsung plasma for [email protected] or a projector + screen...

People often quickly suggest projectors for the screen size but IMO it's not always the best. I have a dual setup and love it. However, flat panels look far better than any projector if you view with ambient light. Yes, a projector can work but it looks far better in a darkened room. Also, projectors bulbs dim. If you will be viewing/playing games often you have to remember the bulb WILL dim and that at some point you'll have to replace the bulb which isn't exactly cheap. I have a Pioneer/JVC projector and for games there's obvious motion blur whereas you won't get that on the plasma.

Dual setups are the best. A projector for movies, and a TV for the rest (just my opinion though).

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
To Kaizen28, personally I would put the plasma on the end wall instead. Putting the plasma on the wall chosen puts a window directly behind the TV and will cause more ambient light to shine directly on the TV causing more reflections and washout. You'll definitely need some curtains to block the light(your currently blinds will not always be enough IMO).

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
option 1: square the room.. a false wall or 2 will likely set you $2-4k with shelving included.. with another $5-6k on ht gear, probably another $1-2k on networking the home.. you will need a min of $8-12k not including acoustic treatments..

option 2: extend the lounge out the front to give you more length and width, which will give you the option of going to a 9.1-11.3 setup in future, full reno will likely set you back $30-40k mind you, you're increasing floor space as you go so you will improve the sale price of the home, if you ever decide to sell.. yes i know option 2 is overkill though thinking from the investment POV it might be an option to consider if you wish to add value to your home..

either way you decide to do it I think you need to seriously think what you're doing as i doubt you have budgeted past the point of the ht gear..

looking at the space you want to use, i wouldn't even contemplate avr's from denon, onkyo, yamaha or other mid-high range avr/prepro producer, personally sony would be the only option for that type of space.. unless you plan to spend $10k or more on acoustic treatments..

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 /forum/post/18308555

option 1: square the room.. a false wall or 2 will likely set you $2-4k with shelving included.. with another $5-6k on ht gear, probably another $1-2k on networking the home.. you will need a min of $8-12k not including acoustic treatments..

option 2: extend the lounge out the front to give you more length and width, which will give you the option of going to a 9.1-11.3 setup in future, full reno will likely set you back $30-40k mind you, you're increasing floor space as you go so you will improve the sale price of the home, if you ever decide to sell.. yes i know option 2 is overkill though thinking from the investment POV it might be an option to consider if you wish to add value to your home..

either way you decide to do it I think you need to seriously think what you're doing as i doubt you have budgeted past the point of the ht gear..

looking at the space you want to use, i wouldn't even contemplate avr's from denon, onkyo, yamaha or other mid-high range avr/prepro producer, personally sony would be the only option for that type of space.. unless you plan to spend $10k or more on acoustic treatments..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen28 /forum/post/18299215

Room Use:
This is never going to be a true HT environment but it's going to be comfy.

While not an optimal space, he can certainly have an enjoyable media room for far less money and effort than you propose.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
he is working to small of a budget, basically he has only covered the ht gear at this point in time with nothing to fix the equipment on or too.

he hasn't even budgeted for the reno to install the in-wall speakers..

basically with the money has to work with, not doing a thing leaving the room as it is the only system i would suggest for this person is a sony muteki system.. you would be wasting your time trying to incorporate a med-high end avr from denon, onkyo, yamaha, pioneer or other decent brand avr would likely be overkill without doing any renovations 1st..

IMHO save up more cash, do the job correctly or go the **** kicker route get something cheap and nasty that give you a budget to store the gear in and on..

with the current budget you have sony is the only option at present and you should be able to add a cabinet into that budget, then save up for something better at a later stage..

no i'm not a fan of sony when it comes to ht gear, though given the ops budget at this point in time sony is the only option i would use given the available space for speaker placement at this time..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi All

As always, thanks for the comments and I'd like to provide some feedback and thoughts:

- As I mentioned before, in-walls are going to be a waste and seriously, when the home is sold, buyers are going to demand that they remain. I'm going on-wall and not in-wall.

- The layout of the room is significantly more inviting with the screen on the right wall. This means the sectional doesn't have its back turned to people entering the room. The flow of the room is better as I have marked it out and that sectional is low which lessens it blocking the windows. (Not perfect but these are compromises).

- The $5/6k budget is for the HT component only. Furniture will cost a little more and I will need Ethernet run down to my distribution point.

- The whole renovation thing is interesting but firstly I'm never going to recover the cost nor is it practical. On the other side of the center wall is open space (double height living room) and on the other side of the right-hand wall is a corridor.

Again, the intention is for this to be used as a very comfortable gaming room where we'll also watch movies. This isn't hard-core AV.

Thanks again.

PS This is never going to be a true dedicated HT room. It needs to be be both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts