AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my old computer [Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit] connected from sound output on motherbord via audio cable to desktop stereo [for general listening] and, via a splitter, to my home theater receiver [for serious music listening].

Worked great.

Got new machine [Windows 7 Pro 64 bit]. When I re-hooked up the audio cable to the new machine, I got generous feedback [hum] along with the music. Get the feedback even when the computer is shut off. Confused, because the setup worked perfectly on the old machine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Feedback and hum are not the same thing. Feedback ONLY occurs when a live mic is picking up its own amplified signal from a speaker. The sound can range from a low rumble to an ear splitting squeal.

The hum you have is due to a ground difference in the audio paths between the 3 items. The best fix is to insert an audio isolation transformer (2 for stereo) between the computer's output and the other devices' inputs.

Do NOT remove or in any way defeat the AC power ground connections. The AUDIO path is all you need to isolate.

Check out Monoprice , TECNEC, BiTronics etc for audio isolation transformers.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
You can also TEST this (test only, then do what Giz says) with a ground lift plug for $1 at any hardware store.

Because high-quality audio transformers that don't lose all the bass are actually quite expensive ~$100

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Does the computer have digital audio output, perhaps of the optical type?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts