AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first time picking out a component audio system and I could use some help figuring out if my setup is "balanced" or not.

So far I have the following items in mind:

Onkyo TX-NR 509

Fluance ES1

Polk Audio TSi CS10

Fluance AVBP2

Polk Audio PSW110

Is this a pretty good setup?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard any of the Fluance speakers yet, but the reviews seem to be very positive and all of them state that they are great bang for the buck. Everything else sounds great!

What do you mean by match the front end?

·
The Village Idiot
9,580 Posts
Speakers all color the sound just a little - especially the tweeters. The Fluance tweeter isn't likely to match up with the Polk tweeter but it depends on how mis-matched they are as to how well they will work. When a scene in a movie pans across the front of you there may be a tonal shift - and there may not. Some speakers from different brands do match up well. I've had some that are very close and some that are way off.

I'd get the center that matches the Fluance speakers.

·
Registered
358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 /forum/post/0

I haven't heard any of the Fluance speakers yet, but the reviews seem to be very positive and all of them state that they are great bang for the buck. Everything else sounds great!

What do you mean by match the front end?

If you are in the position to demo the speakers, I would highly suggest doing so. The "front end" typically consists of the Left Channel, Center Channel, and Right Channel. Although, with the introduction of height channels, I guess those could technically also be part of the front end. Heights are a complete waste of money though, in my opinion. Good luck with your future purchase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20928963

Speakers all color the sound just a little - especially the tweeters. The Fluance tweeter isn't likely to match up with the Polk tweeter but it depends on how mis-matched they are as to how well they will work. When a scene in a movie pans across the front of you there may be a tonal shift - and there may not. Some speakers from different brands do match up well. I've had some that are very close and some that are way off.

I'd get the center that matches the Fluance speakers.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'll spring for the fluance center channel then.

One more thing, I plan to wall mount the center speaker. Any suggestions on hardware?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he means that as a high pitched noise goes from one end of the soundstage to another the sound that is reproduced changes due to design differences in the tweeters.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 /forum/post/20928467

Hi, this is my first time picking out a component audio system and I could use some help figuring out if my setup is "balanced" or not.

So far I have the following items in mind:

Onkyo TX-NR 509

Fluance ES1

Polk Audio TSi CS10

Fluance AVBP2

Polk Audio PSW110

Is this a pretty good setup?

If I were looking for a good first setup I'd go with the Jamo S606 from Vanns. These speakers are gorgeous and sound excellent. You can get them for $399 on sale right now. That includes your fronts, center channel, and surrounds. For the receiver, I'd try to get the Onkyo TX-NR709 if you can. MultiEQ XT calibration will make a big difference vs the 2EQ on the 509. For a sub I'd look at a BIC F12 for a low cost power house from Amazon.

·
The Village Idiot
9,580 Posts
Tonal shift - timbre shift - all the same thing and is often called 'color' in audio semantics. Think of timbre as the differences in the same note as played by different instruments. A piano playing middle C sounds nothing like a trumpet playing middle C. That's an exaggeration of course - but timbre differences are very notable even to untrained ears once its been demonstrated. You can demonstrate it for yourself. Connect two different brands of speakers (three if you got em) in your front three positions and play a test tone - you should notice a timbre shift as different speakers are played.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stran69 /forum/post/20929600

Tonal shift ?

Think of it as if a car drives from one end to the other on the screen and the sound needs to match that. If speakers are any different in tone/reaction, (some are milliseconds, some are closer to a second, and as far as tone they can just sound like your system just isn't set right). So if the car goes by from left to right with matching speakers it will be fluid and natural. If they're not matching you run the risk of having the car actually sounding different, or appearing to double back audibly when really it's not.

So when anyone is trying to mix and match, no matter how close the mixes might be, the CLOSEST is ALWAYS the matching center in the speaker family and class.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder /forum/post/20930701

If I were looking for a good first setup I'd go with the Jamo S606 from Vanns. These speakers are gorgeous and sound excellent. You can get them for $399 on sale right now. That includes your fronts, center channel, and surrounds. For the receiver, I'd try to get the Onkyo TX-NR709 if you can. MultiEQ XT calibration will make a big difference vs the 2EQ on the 509. For a sub I'd look at a BIC F12 for a low cost power house from Amazon.

Do you think that this setup is actually better than the one I had listed? If it was I would end up saving myself a lot of money. I was told that these speaker packages don't sound as good as a system that you selected yourself.

·
Registered
28,660 Posts
I'd take that Jamo system over the Fluance setup you posted all day every day. I have the center and surrounds with a differ pair of Jamo towers. It's a very good system and a bargain for $399.

Just throw in a sub and you're set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The BIC F12 sub looks really good, and quite the bargain at $190. I think that it will be better than the PSW110 that I was planning to get.

As for the Jamo system, do any of you know of any good reviews? The only decent one I could find was the one from techradar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I seem to have run into a problem. I was going to connect my computer to the receiver through my Crossfire Radeon 4870s via HDMI. However, since I am powering two monitors, I would be using the 3rd or 4th HDMI ports on the second GPU to get audio. Turns out that approach doesn't work. My next alternative is to use my Asus Xonar DX. I guess I could use the optical port, but it's shared through a 3.5mm port, and I can't seem to find the right adapter. Second way to to use analog from 3 ports, but I don't know where to plug it into the receiver:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/201...509_re_400.jpg

Which approach would give me the best audio quality?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skl007 /forum/post/20936857

My next alternative is to use my Asus Xonar DX. I guess I could use the optical port, but it's shared through a 3.5mm port, and I can't seem to find the right adapter.

Here's the optical adapter that would allow you to use a regular toslink and plug it in to your Xonar. I bought it for the same purpose. It does work. You can output PCM with the Xonar.

However, I have had weird crackles and pops through my Xonar D1 using optical out to my old HK AVR35 receiver, and I tried a Xonar DX first that has the same problem. Right now, I went back to using analog. Turns out this can be a common problem and difficult to solve, so don't be disappointed if it happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145
Here's the optical adapter that would allow you to use a regular toslink and plug it in to your Xonar. I bought it for the same purpose. It does work. You can output PCM with the Xonar.

However, I have had weird crackles and pops through my Xonar D1 using optical out to my old HK AVR35 receiver, and I tried a Xonar DX first that has the same problem. Right now, I went back to using analog. Turns out this can be a common problem and difficult to solve, so don't be disappointed if it happens.
After you went from 3.5mm to RCA, where did you plug in the RCA cables into your receiver? I'm not seeing an appropriate area on the receiver I plan to get.

·
The Village Idiot
9,580 Posts
Those would be the analog left/right. The red and white pairs of RCA inputs. All receivers have them - for now anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90
Those would be the analog left/right. The red and white pairs of RCA inputs. All receivers have them - for now anyway.
But that only allows for one channel to be connected right? I could have center, FL and FR, or surround, but not all of them at once.

Optical would work for 5.1 correct?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I'm using the Xonar and HK receiver to power a 2.0 system, an old pair of Paradigm Phantoms that I use with my main computer. I just plugged into the DVD L/R input using audio connects that go from RCA to the mini jack on the Xonar. Pretty much any of the audio component inputs on your receiver would work (CD, VCR, Game).

And I just looked at the back of the TX-nr509. Doesn't look there is anyway for you to run L/R and Center into it from the Xonar with analog. You'll have to use the optical to do that. Then you have to configure the Xonar to output the PCM when you use optical, and then I think I also had to set the sound output through Windows in the sound configuration through control panel to default to digital out, too. Two places to configure, in other words.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts