AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate feedback on my dedicated basement theater layout, particulary around seating placement and distances.

Room - 22'x18', with an isleway, theater is basically 22x15.

Screen - 102" screen width, primary seating (2nd row) is about 2x width from the screen, 27 degree angle. 2x or a bit less seems to suit me well. I couldn't be happer with my AVS forum inspired DIY painted screen and I can adjust the screen area later if I find it too large or small.

Main seating - Berkline 090's, row of 5 HT seats in the back

Secondary seating - Berkline 090 couch in front - kids and couch potatoes. The 10.5', 1.2x, 44 deg angle is perhaps too close. Spaces beside the couch are for overflow seats as necessary.

Riser - 7' wide - is this ample space for the 090's? I don't want the theater to seem cramped. I'd rather err on the side of having the couch closer than having too little primary seating room. I'm still figuring out the riser height...

tip - Microsoft has a downloadable free trial for Visio.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts /forum/post/0

I'd appreciate feedback on my dedicated basement theater layout, particulary around seating placement and distances.

Room - 22'x18', with an isleway, theater is basically 22x15.

Screen - 102" screen width, primary seating (2nd row) is about 2x width from the screen, 27 degree angle. 2x or a bit less seems to suit me well. I couldn't be happer with my AVS forum inspired DIY painted screen and I can adjust the screen area later if I find it too large or small.

Main seating - Berkline 090's, row of 5 HT seats in the back

Secondary seating - Berkline 090 couch in front - kids and couch potatoes. The 10.5', 1.2x, 44 deg angle is perhaps too close. Spaces beside the couch are for overflow seats as necessary.

Riser - 7' wide - is this ample space for the 090's? I don't want the theater to seem cramped. I'd rather err on the side of having the couch closer than having too little primary seating room. I'm still figuring out the riser height...

Steve

If required, I would build the riser steps into the riser to save floor space. I would also eliminate one seat from the back and move to the front, and place them evenly centered in the room, because it's too close to the side wall.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like setup 2, personally. I like that you have a "sweet spot" seat for each row that someone will get to fight over.

Might also consider pulling the screen dead center and redrawing.. I know you have that door upfront, but I'd think still you'll be helping with the symmetry of the room.. from an acoustics perspective.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the notes. I may just drop a back row seat and leave the couch - I'm not wild about the 4-seat couch.

But the riser is the big hold-up, I've charted it and with the 090's I'd want a 16" riser, which is not practical with my 7.5" drop ceiling (not sure I'm up for moving a pipe and lifting the ceiling). Based upon cinemascope's post about low ceiling applications I'm going to rework my plan - I don't want the primary seating to be blocked by the front row when reclined.

Steve

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts /forum/post/0

Thanks for the notes. I may just drop a back row seat and leave the couch - I'm not wild about the 4-seat couch.

But the riser is the big hold-up, I've charted it and with the 090's I'd want a 16" riser, which is not practical with my 7.5" drop ceiling (not sure I'm up for moving a pipe and lifting the ceiling). Based upon cinemascope's post about low ceiling applications I'm going to rework my plan - I don't want the primary seating to be blocked by the front row when reclined.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Have you tried using the Riser Calculator in this link ?:

Riser Calculator

It's a sticky thread on this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.