AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy -- great forum and I will never admit to anyone (outside of you guys) how many hours I spend reading here.
Thanks in advance for any feedback you'd be willing to provide.

About a year ago I installed a plasma TV and ever since then I have been in "project" mode modifying what I have and how it is configured, etc. So I think I have decided that I want to move to a 'distribution' model rather than having stuff in each room. And even though I know I am not going to be in this house forever, I am willing to spend the money now, provided I can purchase and design a flexible enough system to take with me when I move (at a yet to be determined time and a place).

So here are my objectives:

- move all of my equipment (including my AVR) from the living room to the bonus room above my garage. Primary reason is that it is a server room for my business and had dedicated in-room cooling, so the heat issues are taken care of

- utilize a system that is "easier" and where I can get "vendor support" in the event I need it

- willing to spend more money to start for less headaches.

- utilize the 2" inch conduit I had installed when the house was built to run the cables from my first floor to the second floor (so I am thinking CAT5 distribution is my preferred choice. Looking at probably around 75 feet maximum

So here is my current equipment:

- Pioneer PDP-5070 plasma

- Rotel RSX-1057 AVR

- DirectTV DVR (x2)

- Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player

- Custom built Home Theather PC running Vista

- Panasonic VCR for watching old family movies (rarely)

- Will be getting another flat screen or two in the next 12-18 months
Here is what I am thinking as far as the distribution system:

- Audio Authority AVX-661-NR

- Audio Authority 9878 face plates for most locations

- IR receiver
So a few questions for you Audio Authority experts:

- It appears that the AVX-661-NR does the HDCP decoding, so I am assuming I don't have anything to worry about when it comes to losing functionality if the "powers that be" get more restrictive about HD content?

- Two part question: In this case I am going to have my AVR in the same room as my AVX-661 (with speaker cables running down the conduit to my soon to be installed in walls).
(1) Any reason I shouldn't do that? (not really an AVAtrix question but wondering about sound quality/depredation due to long speaker cables)?

(2) My interpretation of what I have read about the 661 is that it will transmit digital audio -- which means I could do a 5.1 system in any room that I am distributing too - is that correct?
And finally, are there any other vendors that can provide a "turn key" (meaning it will work without it being a 6 month troubleshooting process?) type solution like I perceive the Audio Authority stuff does?

Again, thanks in advance for any feedback and/or ideas you can offer!

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've done something similar, but not as complex. I have HDMI leaving a central

location to 3 HDTVs in different rooms and floors. It's still not 100% functional

and I'm still debugging issues with my cat5e run. I have 5.1 sound in the livingroom

for one panel, and ceiling speakers for zone 2 in the family room. I know of a place

that will design a solution for you, but I don't think you'll get turnkey nor guaranteed

success. Too many variables between displays, interconnects, and hdmi.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks -- I spent many more hours this weekend reading and researching and am not sure what I am going to do. What I already have in place is a bit overkill --- so doing distribution will certainly be overkill.

Are you using the Audio Authority hardware for your system? And what types of issues are you having to debug?

Brian

·
Registered
528 Posts
sorry, I don't have any audio authority gear, just a similar concept. My debug is

simply hdmi at over 50', baluns, and matrix switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah -- I am with you! Part of the reason I am looking at Audio Authority is I am hoping it will "just work" -- realizing that there are alway compromises.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Best bet is to call the AA guys and explain your concept. They'll be best at determining the pitfalls and whether what you are proposing will work. AA is a frequent poster here and often helps members with their systems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts