AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get some feedback on Mario Golf Toadstool Tour? I just ordered it sight-unseen. I really got into Mario Golf on the 64 and I'm hoping the 'Cube version is just as great.

I've come to realize that it seems like one of Gamecube's strengths is its user friendly nature for these multiplayer "Mario" games and it really makes it a joy when friends can come over and play these titles on my X1 and have alot of fun. Even having never touched a Gamecube controller.

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Mario Golf on GC is a lot like it was on 64. It's a lot of fun and the graphics are gorgeous and all. However, it plays a lot like the 64 version. If you're looking for a new innovative GC version, I think you'll be disappointed. But, if you're looking for more of the same great fun that you had with the 64 version, you'll like this game a lot. It's very fun!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doc - I'm sure I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of this one. Nintendo is great at expanding the horizons of game titles while maintaining great gameplay.

On another note - anyone seen or played the next two Mario games I'm looking forward to - Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Tennis? Those should be interesting.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mario Golf is a good game, definitely good for a group of people, just not very intense in the action department.

I've only ever played Mario Tennis on the N64. It was awesome. I spent many, many hours playing it. If they just rehash it with a couple of minor upgrades, it will be a hit on the GameCube for me.

Shawn

·
Registered
8 Posts
happy1127,

You sound right on with what I am setup with. I have an X1 that projects a 99' screen and is just too cool. I have been watching football this year in HD as often as I can. Although not completely HD technically, it is far superior to normal cable and you cannot beat what the widescreen aspect does for football (seeing more of the field, ect.) and I cannot wait for hockey season to startup.

Anyway, I got side tracked. I am on the swim team at CSUBakersfield and if you can imagine, a GameCube in college with a 99' screen is a huge hit. I recently bought GameCube and Mario Golf and I tell you, tough to put down. If you haven't tried the Wavebird wireless controllers, they are A MUST. The controllers are awesome, cables just get in the way and when you have a 99' screen, you have to be quite a ways back, plus, they are radio frequency so none of that infra-red junk.

MarioGolf for what I have heard (since never playing it on N64) is much like the N64 and if you ask me, they did it right on N64 then. Tons of fun. The only thing is there is only one 18 hole par 72 course and a 18 hole pitch and put course to start off, so you have to win the other courses/players. There are plenty of other games to keep you occupied along with regular stroke play as well. As I said, I never played it on N64, but they have a game called "slots golf" where you choose 4 clubs/items by pulling a handle on a slot machine, very fun.

The next thing I need to get is those component cables, I have only heard good things from that. From what I hear, its a much clearer and smoother picture. The only games we have are NCAA Football 2003 and Super Smash Brothers (another great game) but we never get sick of it. I cannot wait for MarioKart and MarioTennis to come out, those are my two favorite games as of my later college years to play, I mean what game is better than MarioTennis when you have a bunch of your drunk buddies over and some are technically challenged with video games?

Anyway, sorry about the long-winded post but I thought that maybe you might enjoy a review from someone with the same setup. If you haven't received your MarioGolf yet, don't worry, it was a great buy!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet-

Thanks for the update of this thread. It should show up tommorrow. I've been anxously reading up on the game on ign.com and I think I know what to expect. I've gotten sucked back into Mario Golf 64 again too.

Anyways there was a thread a week ago about a guy looking for those component cable somewhere other than Nintendo.com. I just got mine and I wouldn't bother looking anywhere else. They were on my doorstep 2 days later via FedEx 2 day air! (Didn't expect that). So got for those. It really does justice to the X1.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and to elaborate on the new Mario Kart Double Dash...

It has some great multiplayer options from what I read. Cooperative teams on one Kart! Plus support for LAN possibly up to 16 players? This should be great. Just hope the gameplay is up to par.

Gamecube speaks volumes for the arguement that the best console is the one that offers the games you want to play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.