Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have to capitalize on a credit line I have with my local retailer. I have been waiting for months (actually close to a year) just to be able to see what new monitors would be available. Time has come where I need to decide.

The first thing right off the bat is that I must choose among brand names that my dealer carries/sells. That puts my top choices of Princeton, Sampo and RCA out of question.

My dealer sells a number of Sony products, Phillips, Panasonic, Lowee(sp?, the german guys), as well as Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Pioneer, Sharp.

I'd like to get a monitor as first choice, RPTV second. I had a bad experience with Mits, so they are out (sorry Mits, you asked for it).

Oh, and all need be 16:9 only. And possibly only 38", maybe 36".

Any nice Sonys out there? How's the Phillips? How's the new 38" Lowee shaping up to be?

Please help me with comments, suggestions, feedback...

Thanks,

Luca

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wendell.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a first generation model, right (the one that went originally for $8000 or so)? Do you know of a more recent Sony offering? I've also heard that some Sonys available in Japan are much much better than the US counterparts. Do you know if there's any truth to this?

Thanks,

Luca

·
Registered
830 Posts
Luca,

I believe that the model that Wendell recommended is the only 16x9 direct view that Sony currently sells in the US. The more recent 32XBR400 and 36XBR400 are both 4x3.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben. So I take it they have not updated their 16:9 line. If I remember correctly, that model came out a long while ago.

Any comments on it, though?

Luca

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by propeller_beach:
Thanks Ben. So I take it they have not updated their 16:9 line. If I remember correctly, that model came out a long while ago.

Any comments on it, though?

Luca
Luca,

I've seen it in two stores. One was simply running the (split a zillion times) crappy RF input into it, and it looked terrible. Loads of artifacts -- to the extent that I thought it looked worse than just about any of the 4x3 analog TVs in the store. At the other store, they were displaying it properly, showing the DirecTV demo loop. There it looked terrific, although I'd have to say that I slightly preferred the 34" Panasonic Tau sitting next to it.

Unless you are limited in space, or buying this for your bedroom, I think you are making a mistake buying this type of TV over a good RPTV. A 34" direct view has the same screen height as a 27" 4x3 TV, which in my opinion is just too small to get the most from DVDs and HDTV. I was never much of a fan of rear projection until I bought my Pioneer Elite Pro-610HD; now that I've had it a while I'm so happy I didn't get a small direct view. Once you get it into a darkened room and converge it properly, this TV has an awesome picture with HDTV and anamorphic DVD sources. Add a good sound system and movies have a visceral impact that you just won't get on a smaller screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.