AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for some time, I just purchased a Fujitsu P50 and I am, not surprisingly, quite pleased with it. I plan on using my Yamaha XV1 as a switcher for my Pioneer DVD 47A and my Pioneer DVDR 7000. The DVD player and the DVDR give me the option of choosing an interlaced output or a progressive scan output. Given the internal scaler in the P50, is there an advantage to outputting these signals in interlaced form, letting the monitor do the work, or should I be using the progressive option? Does it matter?

All the best,

Bert99

·
Registered
621 Posts
I find that the best picture comes from the progressive output of the DVD player, in my case a Panasonic RP-82. The RP-82 includes that Faroudja chip for deinterlacing. Before I had the player, I had an RP-91, and I was quite unhappy with the picture into my Fujitsu (which is an older model, PDS-5001), but the RP-82 solved the problem.

I don't know why I feel this way, but I think perhaps the output is deinterlaced before conversion to analog, which is somewhat better than converting to analog, then deinterlacing after that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use a DV47A with a Fujitsu PDS-5004. When the DVD player is sending a progressive signal I notice an occasional, rolling, venetian blind type of distortion superimposed on parts of the image. This effect is intermittent and subtle, however it is always visible in the same places on specific DVD's. It is usually apparent in dark, fairly neutral, background areas of the frame. This disappears when the DV47A is set to feed an interlaced signal. I also think that the interlaced signal appears to be slightly clearer than the progressive signal overall, as though a fine granular texture had been removed. I first thought that this "texture" was actually improved detail, but have concluded that it is a faint distortion.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I run a Panny RP-56 progressive signal to my Fujitsu P50 and find the picture absolutely stunning. Switching between interlaced and progressive to my eye suggests that the Faroudja chip in the Panny is just a little bit better than the AVM in the Fujitsu, but boy at first I was hard pressed to find differences. Once I did though, then they became obvious.

I really thinK you will likely get a better picture than most no matter what you go with. AVM is that good.

So, go with Larry's (PooperScooper's) advice. Use whatever looks best to you, because as you can see, it is quite subjective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to those of you who have responded. I guess I'll just have to sit in front of the P50 and watch a lot of programming and decide! Life could be worse :D

All the best,

Bert99

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a PS to Mongoose, I did notice some distortion when I was first feeding the signal via progressive. Now, that could have been because I needed to tweak the P50 some more, but the same effect (a reddish flash around the edges of charging horseman in a night scene from LOTR The Two Towers) was not present when I switched to interlace mode on the 47A.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just South of 8K.....hard to get more of a discount in this part of the world (Washington, DC area) from a B&M retailer.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Probably a combination of new models coming on soon and having a long history with this B&M store.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I am very sorry for firing off my answer without reading it before clicking. I do apologize.

·
23,032 Posts
No problem. Don't worry about. You should have just

left it and let everyone think you were a haggling god! :)

Although, now you probably averted some future PMs.

larry

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
You should have just

left it and let everyone think you were a haggling god! :)

Although, now you probably averted some future PMs.
LOL! All too true.:)

Glen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.