AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a digital camcoder that I have recorder material to via my hypix through a firewire on my pc to archive movies. Can I plug firewire out from the camcoder direct into the jvc?

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
I have a digital camcoder that I have recorder material to via my hypix through a firewire on my pc to archive movies. Can I plug firewire out from the camcoder direct into the jvc?
Should be no problem.

I plugged my Sony miniDV direct to the JVC (Japanese model) and dubbed a tape to D-VHS. Also dubbed a S-VHS tape through firewire back to the camcorder.

·
Registered
800 Posts
But note that you won't get a "perfect digital copy" this way. Though the 30000U will accept a DV signal on its FireWire input, some processing is required in order to convert DV to MPEG2.

Greg Rogers describes this in his excellent review of the unit that appeared in Widescreen Review a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, I tried exactly that and here is what I found.

Playing back minidv tapes directly from cam to jvc through analog component outs into sony xbr2 looks perfect.

Recording the content and playing it back from dvhs tape through analog component outs is also very sharp and nice.

However playing recorded tapes through firewire out to Sony xbr2 looks horrible. My guess is that there is double compression-decompression going on within jvc for some reason. That would be pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ahmed,

So on the third example, you just connected your DV cam to the ILink input on the Sony and pressed play? If you did and it looked ******, that sucks. :(

Also, just for clarification, you connected the DV cam to the JVC 30000 and was able to 'play' back the DV cam through the JVC via component cables?

Thanks.

Troy

·
Registered
221 Posts
On third example, I meant dvhs tapes, when played back through firewire looked bad, even though the same recorded dvhs tape was nearly perfect (i.e. I could not tell the difference between playing through the cam directly vs. dvhs recording over analog component outs). And yes I connected the dv cam to jvc 30k and played minidv tapes (as well as camera's viewfinder!) through the component outs of jvc.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tried my sony 560 digital camcoder via firewire.

I use my sony to archive my movies recored to my pc via the hi pix card.

When playing back the movie store on mini dvtapes into the jvc it reads the sony because it shows up on the osd but it does not read the movie.

Any tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Just tried my sony 560 digital camcoder via firewire.

I use my sony to archive my movies recored to my pc via the hi pix card.

When playing back the movie store on mini dvtapes into the jvc it reads the sony because it shows up on the osd but it does not read the movie.

Any tips?

Thanks!
How do you archive the movie onto the DV tape? If you use DVSpoof or some other utility that encapsulates data into a DV stream then you will not see anything. The JVC will try to decode a DV video stream and convert it to MPEG2, however since the DV stream does not contain any video (only data) the JVC will not do anything with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.