AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sammy 5065hln and just purchased a sammy sirts160 D*/OTA reciever. I am 40 miles from the local towers (they are 1100 ft high)and want to know if anyone has had success with the zenith silver sensor indoor antenna. This would be the easiest set up but do you think it will work? Perhaps the wrong forum but trying to take advantage of the DLP brotherhood!:D

·
2,436 Posts
wvudrj,

There is no way you are going to get those stations 40 mile away with an indoor antenna! Sorry but you will need a nice sized outdoor antenna with at lest a dozen elements. UHF antennas are small compared to the VHF ones we used to use years ago to get TV!

You will get better results looking in this forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ne=&forumid=45

Look around the threads for on in your area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, Do you think it is even worth a try or judt buy the out door antenna and get it over with . The install is set for tuesday for the direct tv I could probably have him help me. Also do the diplexers hurt your PQ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have 567w and same hdtv tuner that you have and i have $5.99 rca indoor antenna with one broken stick(my boy broke it). but it just works fine to have all 6 hd channels in my area.

I dunno how far or close the tower is from where I live.....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 0crash, I feel your pain, I have a two year old and I cringe every time she touches the 5065 screen. Sounds like I can go either way, thanks again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the Zenith Sensor and live about 5-10 miles from the broadcast towars. My guess is you are way too far for an indoor antenna. Even at 5-10 miles, if I don't point it right, I will lose the signal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get Philly from over 30 miles away with the SS (In attic of a ranch) . ALL channels... try it!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Antenna signals are hard to figure. I would give it a shot. I have seen many situations where in one house, a pair of rabbit ears and a loop worked just fine, and others of the same distance where a multi element on a mast was not as good. I have heard good things about it, so just try it out. I have used a diplexers to piggyback OTA HD with the sat cable with no problems, so you could try that too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As SethS says, antennas can be quirky, but I'd bet against an indoor one at your distances. For recommendations specific to your location visit these two sites:

TitanTV
AntennaWeb

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, I will probably start out with the radioshack directional UHF antenna as all my stations are UHF now. In attic vs outside is a tossup for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.