AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room has a sharp peak in female voice. I think it is on the lower spectrum of female voice.

I have acoustical treatments in my room. I try to move the speakers and absorption panels around and it does not really solve the problems.

I think I need a parametric EQ to tame the gain. Does anyone have any good recommendations on EQ?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I was in a similar situation recently....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=560372

I ended up with the Symetrix 551 and a Rane PE15. Hooked them up yesterday. I use the Rane for my centre channel and it is much better than using the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. I can't believe how muddy the BFD makes the sound. The Rane PE15's (discontinued now) can be easily had for under $100 at our favourite online auction house. The Symetrix is probably in another league but I use this for my subs because of the low shelf feature.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you tried damping the first reflection from the ceiling using 703 rigid fiberglass?

ie: mount a 2'x2' section of fiberglass on the ceiling halfway between you and each of the front speakers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EC,

Do you have the link to the online manual to Symetrix 551? My system is two channel system and need an analog parametric EQ. Thanks.

snickelfritz,

I do not think it is simply damping the first reflection from the ceiling. My peak only occurs on a very small band of frequency. The rest of the frequencies are perfect. The female voice sounds perfectly fine except on certain note and you can distinctively hear the peak.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think I've heard this effect before on piano recordings.

Very frustrating to fix.

Maybe diffusion will effectively scatter the reflection so it can't ring.

GL

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyc
EC,

Do you have the link to the online manual to Symetrix 551? My system is two channel system and need an analog parametric EQ. Thanks.
google is your friend

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/repository/551-2-A2.pdf

also helps that I printed out the manual earlier today :) You will probably want the 552E which is the 2 ch version

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
snickelfritz,

Do you mean you have the same problem? I kind of agree with you that I need some diffusors to prevent ringing. Need to find some cheap diffusors now to experiment.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Diffusers are not effective in reducing modal ringing, if that is the problem. Neither is absorbing reflections. :(

Room modes are low-frequency phenomena (
Quote:
The female voice sounds perfectly fine except on certain note and you can distinctively hear the peak.
If you can identify the specific notes, adyc, these will be the exact problem frequencies. A low female voice (Alto or Contralto) can go down to only about 130 Hz.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry,

In this case, I guess the only mean is to use a parametric EQ to reduce the ringing. Do you agree?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyc
Terry,

In this case, I guess the only mean is to use a parametric EQ to reduce the ringing. Do you agree?
Yes, if you've done as much room treatment as is feasible. If the problem is due to room modes, a parametric equalizer can fix it, at least for a limited seating area.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terry,

I have just done some rough measurement using Rives Test CD2. There is +8-9db around frequencies 100-125Hz relative to 1000Hz. There is also +4db around frequencies 400-500Hz relative to 1000Hz.

I doubt the offensive ringing is due to 100-125Hz. I heard a lot of jazz and classical music. It is never a problem for me. I think the offensive ringing is due to 400-500Hz but it is only 4db. 4db should not be that offensive. I am quite confused. Do you have any idea?

My system is a 2 channel system with integrated amp. I do not think it is possible to connect Symetrix 552 to my integrated amp. I am inclined to by Rives Parametric EQ but their range is up to only 500Hz. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
adyc,

I believe the test CD you are referring to only has 1/3 octave signals. That's not narrow enough for any reasonable diagnosis. I recommend using 1 Hz resolution tones instead. Ethan Winer's site has these for download:

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Haven't used them myself, but I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't work. You should also be able to compare these tones with the notes which your female vocalist is singing.

However

If you have an integrated power amp and preamp with no provision for an equalizer, then you've got a problem. Parametric equalizers don't work on speaker level signals. You need to intercept a line-level analog signal. If your only audio source was a CD player, this would be no problem. You just connect the EQ between CD player and amp.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick
However

If you have an integrated power amp and preamp with no provision for an equalizer, then you've got a problem. Parametric equalizers don't work on speaker level signals. You need to intercept a line-level analog signal. If your only audio source was a CD player, this would be no problem. You just connect the EQ between CD player and amp.

Regards,

Terry
Since you have an integrated I assume that it has regular unbalanced (RCA) connections. Pro EQ's will have balanced connections XLR or TRS. You will need a TRS to RCA cable or adapter. The other option you have to hook up the EQ is to use the tape loop.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily, my cd player has balanced output and integrated amp has balanced input. I am going to put the EQ inbetween cd player and amp as Terry suggested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.