AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that many of the high priced OEM cables and power cords have ferrites on them. Being in the electronics industry I know that ferrite chokes are fairly cheap so I was wondering if anyone here has used them on DIY cables. I am going to add them to the PCs of my equipment but was also thinking of putting them on the component cables and audio cables as well.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Quote:
Being in the electronics industry I know that ferrite chokes are fairly cheap
Why do you want then on your video cables? Too much of the high frequencies getting through to the monitor?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tvtech1
Why do you want then on your video cables? Too much of the high frequencies getting through to the monitor?
Just trying to eliminate any possible EMI/RFI. I have also heard that people have seen improvement in color saturation when this is done but it could be BS.

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Ferrite cores increase lump inductance, resulting in a reduction of high frequencies. These include RF noise as well as picture detail.

A reduction of high frequencies cannot increase colour saturation.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Do these have an audible effect on audio cables?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tvtech1
Ferrite cores increase lump inductance, resulting in a reduction of high frequencies. These include RF noise as well as picture detail.

A reduction of high frequencies cannot increase colour saturation.
If the cable is shielded, then only currents on the outer surface of the shield (i.e. common mode currents) will be affected by the ferrite.

Common mode currents are bad. Period.

A ferrite on the outside of a shielded coax cable will have no effect on signals traveling inside that cable. (Which is why I can put a ferrite choke on my TV antenna cables and not see any reduction in signal strength, but see a reduction in interference.)

Ferrite is your friend. Use it in as many places as possible. (But keep it away from unshielded cables carrying high frequencies... But your video cables are shielded, right? :) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.