AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the F50? In particular how does it stand up to the Linn Espec / 5140, The Ultima Gem at about the same cost, and the Studio at about the same used? There do not seem to be any magazine reviews yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Michael,

I have listened to the F50 several times and come away appreciating them more and more. I have not heard the Linn speakers so can not offer comparison to them. As for the Studios, if a used pair was avaiable at the same price as the F50's then take the Studios! I have had several conversations with my local dealer and mainly the difference will be in the mid range. The Studios have a better sound BUT if the F50's were a woman she would NOT be kicked out my bed!! Hell I'd ask if she had a twin sister! :)

What I liked best of the F50's is the none of the frequency ranges were overbearing the other ones. Meaning bass output did not dominate the sound or the tweeters weren't overpowering the mids. During my 1st audition I heard them using a No 380S pre-amp, No.39 CD, 436 mono blocks, and then the N.383 w/No.39CD player. After my 1st audition I preferred the No.383 setup for the No.436's performance didn't warrant the $7k increase in price. I was blown away how much SLAM and power the No.383 put out. Now on the 2nd audition the F50's had well over 200 hrs on them where as before they had

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mike:

Have you had the chance of comparing the Revel F50s against the Aerial LR5/CC5 supplemented by SW12 subs? Also, have you had the chance of auditioning the ML 436 monoblock driving the Aerial LR5/CC5 or any other Aerial speaker? Finally, what's your current opinion on the ML 436 monoblocks? Are they sonic gems?

Thanks for sharing :)

J.V.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi Mike- Welcome to the Forum! Just my opinion, but I think you can do a lot better than the F50s for a lot cheaper with the VMPS RM40 with the TRT cap upgrade. These are one of the best speakers I've heard (and own) regardless of price. They replaced my Martin Logan Prodigies.

You can read more about them at www.vmpsaudio.com and there is a review here and an upcoming review from Bound For Sound shortly.

Also check out the VMPS forum here for some user comments.

Happy listening!

·
Registered
360 Posts
JV,

Hello again.....My only auditions of Aerials were the 5-7B's/CC3 combo at a different dealer (even thought they carry Revel too) several years ago. At that time the Performas series was not out and the Ultima Series was not even a consideration! I have read nothing but great reviews on your setup (thru you and other A/A owners).

As for my opinion on the No.436's, I really like them alot (MUY MACHISMO!!) but at that price level I have not auditioned any contenders. One of the things I study on this forum and thru magazines is what components people use to get an idea what matches what best. I have seen very few Levinson/Aerial packages. Bryston 7B's are the most common but I know that Michael [email protected] Aerial is a big Classe fan. The CAM-350 mono blocks are rated the same power as the No. 436's at about 55% of the cost. There is a member here (Fly8er???) who uses the CAM-350 with the LR5/CC5 and he writes glowing reviews about them!

Like I said my experience at THAT level is limited but from what I have heard with the Revels the No.436's rock!!!! Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.