AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have googled and searched forums but i cant seem to find a simple explain like im 5 explanations of

pre-amp? what is it, how does it work . does it work along with my my actual stereo amp. whats the difference between a pre-amp, power amp, and integrated amp?

and phono stags and phono cartrages? 

also speaker wiring, i have heard both sides of the fence, i need good wires and dont spend money on good wires. which is it haha

any help would be greatly appreciated 

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
A preamplifier is basically a switchbox with a gain stage. It allows you to connect sound sources and then amplifies their signal enough to drive a power amplifer which, in turn amplifies enough to drive a speaker. An integrated amp is a preamplifier and power amplifier combined in a single chassis.

The term phono stage refers to that part of a preamplifier that has amplifying capacity and equalization to properly handle vinyl record playback. The unit that plays the records is made up of three parts - a turntable which has a motor that turns the record, a tonearm that holds the cartridge and allows it to swing across the record to play the track and the cartridge. The cartridge is made up of a stylus that rides in the groove or track and a motor of sorts which converts the motion of the stylus into electrical signals. These signals are fed to the phono stage which amplifies it for the preamplifier and equalizes the signal to compensate for adjustments made to the signal while cutting the record.

There is no need to spend considerable money on wire. Wire has no effect on the sound of the system. It only affects the beliefs of those who think otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.