AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a camera tonight, so i figured i would take some pics of the theater in progress. Not quite done yet, still need CARPET(soon), to finish the trim, make the wet bar, make a sitting bar, put in a second sub, make the AV rac, etc... but she is alive and tomorrow night is movie night at my place

As you walk in, sub on the left, fire on the right, panny 4000 hangin from the ceiling...

Accent light behind the screen turned ON, showing off the HSU's:

Looking back from the screen:

Where the wetbar will be going in a couple weeks, already put in plenty of electrical for the fridge, lights, switched cabinet lights and plumbing...

Couple screen shots (im not a photographer, it looks WAAAY better in person):

Some of you may have seen this before, my planning sketch-up (great for getting angles and sizes right):

I only have a couple construction pics (a friend took them awhile back)...

Here you can see the LinAcoustic going up behind the false wall:

From the equipment closet:

The screen is DIY with a 2.35:1 masking system, motorized and controlled automatically by the PJ triggers.

Here is a video of it being controlled by a wall switch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-JIRDBbt6A

And here is a video of it being controlled by the projector software...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKU7i3cDgM

Another video, with some lights on so you can see the masking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LankgQAZ7E

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Beautiful build! What are the room and screen dimensions? What the left fireplace used for?

Victor

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd /forum/post/18259388

Beautiful build! What are the room and screen dimensions? What the left fireplace used for?

Victor

Thanks! haha, I know... I really don't like how the sub cover looks like a fake fireplace. I retrospect I should not have put tile around it. But it is just a GOM cover for Sub #1. Room is 24 feet deep, 17 feet wide with 7.5' ceilings. Screen is 129" wide (not diagonal, but width) in 2.35:1 mode.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Looking sweet..wish you had more pics from the beginning, but I understand things roll along quicker than you expect sometimes. You are gonna have some fun in that room , cant wait to see it done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18259805

Great job. How do you like the HSUs? A while ago I thought about getting 3 of the centers and changing the orientation (per their manual) of the horn to use as my L/C/R behind a yet to be built AT screen.

I LOVE THEM! for 2-channel music they leave a bit to be desired, but for HT they rock. very direct and detailed, plus super efficient and loud. i never thought of using three centers, interesting... a little more midbass would be appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson /forum/post/18260402

Looking sweet..wish you had more pics from the beginning, but I understand things roll along quicker than you expect sometimes. You are gonna have some fun in that room , cant wait to see it done.

me too, me too

·
Registered
669 Posts
Love your room. I have a few questions;

What type of DIY screen did you go with & size?

Any details & photos on how your masking system works?

How exactly does your PJ 12-volt trigger work with the masking ?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX /forum/post/18261420

Love your room. I have a few questions;

What type of DIY screen did you go with & size?

Any details & photos on how your masking system works?

How exactly does your PJ 12-volt trigger work with the masking ?

Thanks,

John

Thanks!

Screen is 140" diagonal in 2.35 mode.

I don't have any detailed pictures, but i can try and take some if you want. Here is a list of components...

Motor - Somfy LT50 (sourced from ebay for $150) came with wall switch

Acoustically Transparent Fabric - Gilford of Maine, Black

Screen Boarder - 1x4 hardwood wrapped in Triple Plush Black velvet

Rollers - Two 2" roller blind tubes with brackets and bearings

Track - Two pocket door hardware kits

Screen Controller - 2 12v automotive relays

Misc - springs, 45ft of 1/2" nylon webbing. Behind the screen there is 200 sqft of 2" thick acoustic absorption panels.

So basically, I just use the roller shade tube and motor horizontally, I wrapped the GOM one direction and the nylon webbing the other direction, then attached the webbing to the opposite side. So as one roller turns it lets out the GOM while taking in the nylon, which is attached to the other side, so the GOM stays taut. The Somfy remembers positions, and the GOM and nylon are both non-stretch. The positions are extremely repeatable and accurate.

Sorry, this is sort of hard to explain, if you are really interested I can try to take some pictures or draw some sketches.

The Panny AE4000 can automatically detect the aspect ratio and zoom the projector accordingly, you can also set up the two 12v triggers on the Panny to indicate the current aspect ratio. The somfy wall switch uses two dry contacts for up and down. I'm using 2 12v relays to close the contacts inbetween the switch and the motor, so when the Panny detects the ratio, it automatically zooms, sends the 12v signal, closes the relay and the screen adjust. Works like a charm, only down side is that I can only have two auto positions, cuz there is only two triggers on the Panny. I will have 16:9 and 2.35:1 through 2.4:1 on auto, and for anything else (4:3, 1.85 etc) I will have to adjust the screen from the wall switch.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Very nice room. The automasking is awesome. Very slick! You should get many hours of enjoyment from your room.

Regards,

RTROSE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts