AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Today I experienced a very strange issue, while watching the Blu-ray of Pirates of the Caribbean 1. When I was using the uncompressed LPCM track, I did not have any sound from the right surround channel. I narrowed the issue down to the ffdshow audio decoder.

My set-up:

MPC-HC (one of the latest versions) -> MPC internal splitter (LPCM selected) -> ffdshow audio decoder -> Reclock renderer to AC3 -> SPDif out -> receiver

I tried the following permutations to the above:

1) Select the Dolby Digital track -> OK

2) Use the MPC-HC internal LPCM decoder -> OK

3) Do not use Reclock, use ffdshow to encode LPCM to AC3 -> NOK

4) Use Haali splitter -> NOK

So it clearly has to do with the decoding of LPCM by ffdshow. BTW: both ffdshow and reclock report 6 channels being available. For some reason the 6th is just not decoded.

My question: is this a known bug? Is it just this movie (it is the first time I noticed)?

Thanks,

Gerbrand

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too am experiencing this problem. I noticed it after listening to tracks when decoding DTS via my amp, if i bypass ffdshow the rear audio is much more pronounced but I would prefer to use ffdshow for DTS-HD decoding as my amp doesnt support it.

With the volume plugin enabled it shows that audio is registering with BackL and BackR but if I mute BackL no audio can be heard although ffdshow still shows sound on BackL.

MPC-HC (various versions) -> Haali Media Splitter -> ffdshow (various versions)

I have tried various configurations and I cannot get it to seperate BackL BackR

Please someone help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have not been able to resolve the issue yet. With one of the other two Pirates of the Caribbean films, I don't get sound from the LEFT surround even though both ffdshow and also my surround receiver indicate the signal is present.

I have not tried decoding DTS-HD yet, but AFAIK ffdshow will only decode the so-called DTS-core.

Is there a ffdshow-audio forum somewhere, so that this issue can be posed to a more specific audience?

Gerbrand

1 - 3 of 3 Posts