Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am running the latest version of ffdshow and TT v1.5.0.23. I have only the "unsharpen" and "gradual de-noise" checked. After a DVD has played but a few minutes my system will crash and it will reboot itself. My system is only showing about 37 to 45% cpu used during DVD playback. My system is a P4 1.8, 512mg, WinXP.

When I uncheck the filters, I have no problems. It seems that with only 37 to 45% cpu being used that I should not be having any crashes. Can someone provide any idea to what the problem might be?

Don

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This sounds very much like a hardware fault.

Is CPU fan running and is the heatsink fitted properly with compound?

Could be a range of other hardware faults e.g. RAM, Main board etc.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
529 Posts
If this occurs at different 'times' with the same DVD and occurs with most DVDs (i.e. random), it is likely a power/heat problem.

Some thoughts...

1. You will never see a failing value measured by software (think about it;)).

2. Software measurements are usually averages; you don't see the 'peaks and valleys'.

3. As temperature rises, a component becomes more likely to fail on a 'smaller' undervoltage, no matter how short the duration.

4. PSUs slowly weaken with age; applications usually do the opposite.

A sudden reboot (no error message, BSOD etc) usually indicates that the mobo has reset the CPU. This will occur if the POWER-OK line from the PSU drops below threshold.

Suggest that you monitor your voltages and temps (for trends - see "1." above).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the help. I will have a look see and see if I can find out what the cause of the power/heat problem.

BTW, I have read mention of people measuring their cpu and case temps. How is this done?

Don

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.