AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started using it. I have an amp mobile XP 2400 overclocked to 2.2ghz.

I have an nvdia FX5700 video card.

Now I have read that people are able to resize with much worse specs than myself. But I just did a resize only, no blue or anything to 1440X960, and I am getting dropped frames like crazy! (They are those streaky horizontal lines right)? Well guys what should I do I just put this HTPC together and it seems its to week to handle this resize? How is this possible?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Put a gradual denoise at 30-50 filter in before resize or a sharpen unmask set to 1 to change the color space that resize will use to a format that allows faster processing, namely YV12.

See if that helps.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Absolutely what nightfly said... you have to have something in front of the resize or it tries to resize and do color conversion at once... very bad.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it seems that just doing the blur, and resizing is enough to get dropped frames. I didnt even adjust any sharpening settings. I am using zoomplayer, and overlay seems like the only thing that produces an image. I trie VRM9/7 and the screen is just black. Oh man Im so upset, this was one of the main reason I put together the HTPC, and got such good parts. Am I doing something wrong. I mean I really se people posting they can do this fine with slower processors/video cards.

*EDIT*Thakns guys didnt even see the replies. Let me try it

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops I actually did have that filter before the resize. It said in the guide on htpcnews, otherwise it resizes first and has to much image to work with. I just put it in a gradual denoise at 39 right before the resizing and still dropped frames those horizontal streaks. Is it me doing something wrong or is there really not enough power in my mahcine which doesnt seem likely.

*Edit* by the way this is all happening without me even sharpening the image. Just denoise, and resize.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I just connected my HTPC to my TV through S-Video (best input I have), and its a little better. Before I was using DVI to LCD monitor. But it seems I cant have lancos be at 1.5/1.5 Luma/chroma respectively and have parameters at 10. Even at default it freezes. I am also using denoise 3d at .5 and .5 and the time at 5.

I must say th video doesnt look as good as when it was coming from my regualr DVD player through S-Video. Can you guys reccomend some basic settings that will give me better quality than the DVD player. In addition I still cant figure out why my computer cant handle this. Am I Still doing something wrong? Perhaps some1 can help me out with this.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
For a start, do not use Chroma sharpen as it dose nothing except increase noise.

There is no why you will be able to use Lanczos at Parameter 10 (=10 Tap scaling) on your PC.

Try using 4 or less or use Bicubic in stead.

Denoise3d is quite CPU intensive, you will need to use it BEFORE resize and you may not be able to use it at all on your system, but if you can, set it to L 0.0, C 1.0, T 3.0-5.0

Unfortunately Athons XP’s cannot use the SSE2 optimized version of FFDShow which is MUCH faster.

You did not mention what DVD decoder you are using, but if it is WinDVD, VMR9 will not work (black screen) without disabling Macrovision protection with a program like AnyDVD.

I doubt that your system will have the power to run VMR, so you may have to stick with overlay.

Regards,

Owen

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yep, having seen your system settings in another thread I think you're expecting too much. Can you do some screen prints of the FFDShow filters you have enabled? Might help.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Be aware that VMR9 cannot output anything over 1500 x 800 without dropping frames in the renderer.

In fact, with a 6800GT, using DXVA mode, I get dropped frames at any output size above 1500 x 800. CPU at 20%.

Vern

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
To be clear, the VMR9 renderer is the last piece of the chain. So everything up to that point can be higher than that. I don't see any dropped frames using Lancosz4 resize to 1920x1920, but then my final output is 1280x720.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Quote:
but then my final output is 1280x720.
Thats why it works!!!!

Just for grins, use the + key on ZP and zoom in to 1920x1080. See if it turns to **** for you too.

You'll just be looking at the center part of the image. Let us know what happens.

Vern

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if my question is inline with this thread but ffdshow doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT) processor. I'm having Northwood 3.0GHz CPU and my ffdshow option is somewhat limited because it could only use half of CPU power. Is there anyway to get the most out of ffdshow on my HT CPU? Or is it better to use slower non HT CPU (which may even give better performance?).

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Correct, it is not SMP (symetric multi processing) aware. Many of us disable HT for other reasons anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys. Sorry I Was away for a bit. You know after all this playing and fiddling around I just dont have too much time anymore. I just ordered MCE as it is supposed to work right out of the box, and I guess Ill hope that in the future Ill be able to use FFDshow with it. Thanks for your help ::)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well before MCE comes in I decided to give FFDShow another shot. I must say removing the chroma sharpen to 0, improved the quality significantly, now the noise is gone! However I still cant run the video without it freezing for more then a couple of minutes. By the way I am using resolution 800X600. I can go to 1024X768 but then the letter in meedio are hard to see, but let me know if it might improve my video quality significantly. Anyway here are my settings for FFDShow.

BLUR&NR: C=0;L=1;Time=3.79

RESIZE: 1440X960 LANCZOS=4; L=.71;C=0

Thats all I am using and its freezing after a minute or so at my resolution. Any1 have any ideas?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
perhaps its just better to resize to the resolution of my TV that im suing which is 800X600 and then increase shaprening and noise reduction? Would that at least give me a better picture?

*EDIT* I eliminated using denoise3D, And I stopped using any of the sharpens... I just used resize 1440X960, and still bkack screen cpu usage is 100%!!! What the hell is going on here?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys help. I disabled FFDShow all together but still left the OSD enabled. IT seems like the usage of my cpu on just the video is 100%!!! I still get the same black screen! What the hell is going on here? IS something using up all of my cpy cycles??? Could it be AC3filter?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yes... the OSD of FFDShow is a tremendous resource hog. Don't use it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.