AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume this will be a fairly simple question....

I have recently gotten it working with TheaterTek (1.5 & 2.0 now). This is my only experience with FFDShow so I am just following recommendations in other threads.

My question is what about applications that do not have any apparent post processing friendliness with FFDShow. Does the application have to be aware of this as TT2 is, or, is there another way to force the app output through FFDShow?

I am most interested in Dvico Fusion HDTV3 application when I process other video (S-Video or Composite) through this card.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, should I assume that if the application supports directshow, then the output will be processed by FFDShow?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
If you can somehow enable FFDShow in the application, then yes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madpoet, thanks for replying. I have seen your knowledgeable responses in other threads.

OK, so help me here, you indicate that that FFDShow must be enabled within the application. So, do I take that to mean that the application must be aware of FFDShow? Is that different than the application simply being directshow compliant?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yes... there's no way (that I know of) to force FFDShow to be loaded regardless of whether the application supports it. The app has to know to hand off the processing to FFDShow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I read through all of the posts during the weekend, I remember references to TheaterTek and Zoom Player Pro, and that was about all. What are other applications that are FFDShow aware? Do these apps have setup options which allow you to select FFDShow for post processing?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
WinDVD6 does, and the NVidia DVD player does also. Not sure if anything else will. DScaler might also, but I don't use it myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by N3W813
IIRC, I don't think the fusion hdtv3 is a directshow application. Ffdshow only works with applications that use directshow graphs.
So is the final answer that, 1. the app must be directshow aware, and 2. have specific set up features (configuration) to take advantage of FFDShow?

I am trying to boil this down to the most basic Q & A so that I understand the useability of FFDShow, and that others new to this might also benefit from this thread.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Per my own understanding, yes.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sage can also use ffdshow.

As previously stated, working in the DirectShow domain is required. If the application does not directly support it (ffdshow) by providing some sort of dialog for adding filters, it still might be accomplished by building a custom graph but this gets beyond anything convenient.

DFA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the apps I have heard of that support FFDShow -

* TheaterTek DVD

* Zoom Player Pro

* WinDVD6

* SageTV

* Media Player Classic

Are there any others to add to the list?

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is my understanding you can use ffdshow with any application, however you have to let ffdshow let the (mpeg2, mpeg4) decoding. So ffdshow runs as a decoder not a raw video filter.

Of course you lose the ability to pick nvdvd or windvd as the decoder. Just pointing out it's a possibility.

For DiVX/xvid, ffdshow can use the actual xvid codec for decoding not the internal routines.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
WinDVD6 does, and the NVidia DVD player does also. Not sure if anything else will. DScaler might also, but I don't use it myself.
How do u get WinDVD6 to work with ffdshow?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Owen
You cant.

You can only use the WinDVD filters in Zoom Player

Owen
I am aware of that, but someone else (read previous posts) seem to believe otherwise. It's common knowledge that WinDVD (or almost any other) video decoder works with ffdshow, but it appears like this guy want to know which players are working with ffdshow.

I asked that question just to be sure I hadn't missed anything.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
My apologies... I was in fact under the impression that you could. I've used so many different software players lately I'm getting confused ;). However, the NVidia DVD player included as part of the FWMM 3 app certainly can use FFDShow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
DirectShow is a form or standardization of modularity, where discrete snippets of program code (filters) can be chained in sequence to perform a series of processing steps.

DirectShow applications can manually link (or at least attempt to link) specific filters into a sequence, or it can avail itself of the 'automagic' capability of DirectShow to cobble something together.

This 'automagic' facility rests on the filters having identifiers as to what input characteristics can be handled and what output characteristics will be produced. (Think of various uniquely shaped receptacles and plugs.) These are referred to as 'pins' (both input and output).

But what if two separate filters have the same input 'pin'? Which then gets chosen to be linked to the previous filter's output pin? The answer is 'merit', a numeric value assigned to the filter, with the higher the better - anything less than 200001 and the filter will not be linked 'automagically' (must be manually done by the application). The convention is 800000+ (preferred), 600000+(acceptable), 400000+(sub-par) and 200000+(tolerable) as simplistic "break-points".

FFDSHOW is a 'swiss army knife' filter - you can configure the types and characteristics of the input and output 'pins' to be presented (and lately, its 'merit'). Inside the filter you can 'activate' a plethora of 'sub-filters' and even change the sequence in which they are applied. Two of these 'sub-filters' are actually links to DScaler modules which ARE NOT DirectShow.

For FFDSHOW to be used, the application must either allow for the manual inclusion and linkage of DirectShow filters, or must surrender (at some point) filter selection to the 'automagic' facilities where FFDSHOW's 'presented' pins and merit cause it to be selected.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.