Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an odd one,

I am running zoomplayer + ffdshow + CP1.5 filters + Radeon 9000 Pro + Catalyst 3.0 + win2K. When I have ffdshow's resize turned off, I get perfect color decoding in the Avia color decoder test pattern - all colors are 0%. However, if I turn on resize and restart zoomplayer, green shows as 20% UNDER-saturated. Blue and red don't seem to be affected. Also, if I run the straight WinDVD player app, color decoding is perfect, so it's not my system or my display. What gives? Why does ffdshow's resize mess with the colors? I really love the resize sharpen effect, but it's pretty crappy to give up good color decoding for it.

I found that in movies the 20% undersaturated green is less noticeable than it sounds, but it is still there. I may not have noticed this for a while had I not popped in Avia, but it's just annoying to know that something is off.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Anyone know what's going on? Anyone wanna try and see if you get the same results? Any input would be appreciated!

Mike U.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yes I seem to be getting similar results with my main PC when playing back video files. I re-encoded the final Matrix HD trailer to xvid and when viewing it with ZP+ffdshow, it looks all washed out and lacked any sense of color depth. I switched to the xvid codec and it worked perfectly with much better colors. I had to play around with the overlay settings(brightness/contrast) to get it to match the original.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Interesting, are you running VMR9 or overlay under Zoom? Curious now, may have to take a look at it as well to see if I can reproduce it.

-pd

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It doesn't even need to resize. As long as its loaded, even if there aren't any settings enabled it'll still mess up the colors, at least for the xvid encoded files that I had.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well in my case, I'm running in overlay mode, only playing straight DVD's from the dvd rom. The resize sharpen settings don't seem to affect it - I did try setting croma sharpen to 0, thinking that might be affecting the colors somehow. Seems like simply checking ffdshow's resize option and restarting causes greens to become undersaturated. Real odd. Maybe the software resize is bringing in some DirectX layer that's got a bug in it (I'm running DirectX 8.1)? My 20% understaturated greens looks a lot more subtle than what Goi's seeing, but they could still be caused by the same problem.

Mike U.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well good news (for me at least): I messed around with the ffdshow resize settings this afternoon, and this is only happening on certain resize resolutions. Specifically, if I keep the vertical resolution below 720, I get perfect colors. As soon as I go 720 or higher though, green becomes undersaturated. Horizontal res doesn't seem to affect anything. This is fine because 1024x704 is really all that's needed to do a nice resize sharpen. I'm happy that I can get great colors and use ffdshow's resize sharpen, but this is still kinda mind boggling. What the heck is going on?

Mike U.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.