AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for creating a new thread but the giant ffdshow faq thread is getting old :)

Am I the only one who has problems running the newer versions of ffdshow in TheaterTek? Every single version older than Jan 2003 gives me stuttering problems when lanczos resizing at 1440x1152.

My HTPC is a 2.8Ghz P4 with HyperThreading enabled.

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Nope , many have stated the newer releases to be less efficient .

--- Have you tried "Spline" instead ...

--- Lanczos is very demanding [ even on a Ultra high-end HTPC ]

---- Jason

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This sounds about right. I assume your resolution is 60 hz. For almost 1.7 million pixels per frame you will need either to either upgrade your CPU or overclock your CPU plus implement some more efficient cooling. Peltier (thermoelectric) cooling and/or powerfull water cooling could potentially enable your overclocked processor to grind through this resolution. I'd say you are better off droping your resolution to something your CPU can manage.

I have AMD FX 51 overclocked to 2.48 Ghz (this would be someting like P4 3.6 with double the cache memory) with dual chanel RAM running at 450 mhz effectively and my limit is about 1.7 million pixels per frame, at room temperature of about 75 F.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try the 05.2003 version and the 09.2003, the 10/11 have a spline/lanczos resize bug with media files. Or u can simple download all and test all :)
http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/

What filter setting u use and in wich direction? Wich render overlay or VMR9 and if u use zoomplayer did u try disable color settings?

U can also save cpu time by using the right decoder's and postprocessing filters.

some chart fastest decoder first (all with overlay and yvu modes, vmr9 is always more cpu intensive)

mpeg1/2 (aka dvd):

1: elecard moonlight decoder V2.1 or V2.2 Beta with disabled double precission IDTC

2: sonic cineplayer or TheaterTek decoder (newest release)

3: cyberlink PowerDvD (latest patch)

4: WinDvD (latest patch)

*note the elecard moonlight decoder also has there own postprocessor in the decoder

divx3/4/5:

1: ffdshow libavcodec and 3ivx decoder*

2: xvid decoder (Nic's last release ICL7 or xvid 1.0 beta3 ICL10)

3: elecard moonlight "nice pheratou" decoder V2.2 beta

4: org. divx 5.1.1 decoder -> has macroblocking decode bugs so better use 5.04/5 but those version have crappy slow postprocessor's

xvid:

1: ffdshow libavcodec and the latest xvid ICL7/10 releases both perform nice, also 3ivx has good speed.

For pure decoding the ffdshow libavcodec is the fastest, the xvid decoder also have the same speed.

If u take postprocessor speed into account 3ivx 4.5 has a very optimized postprocessor wich is superior to divx 5.04/5 and also 5.1.1.

FFdshow postprocessor just work in mplayer+dering settinsg since Nic's dering or mplayer deblock smooths/washes the hell out of the movie and u will loose lotsa details.

The deblock postprocessor included in Nic's 07/2003 or 1.0 Beta3 xvid decoder work very nice without loosing any details but the dering suck arse.

3ivx dering+deblock is oki but u loose some little details, for dering best is mplayer set to 150 in ffdshow but just dering, leave the deblock settings off, also dont use nic's dering in ffdshow!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
intinig,

Your 2.8P4 should resize to 1440x1152 (Lanczos) but you would not have much CPU left to use any other filters.

Spline resize is slower.

My P4 3.06 Notebook (none Hyper Threading) with 533 FSB can resize to 1440x1152.

ffdshow-20030927 was a good build. Try That.

Overclocking your CPU would definatelly help.

Almost all Hyperthreading P4's can run at 3.2-3.3G on standard voltage and standard cooling with perfect reliability.

I used to use a P4 clocked at 3.3 and it could run:

Descaler sharpening

Resize 1440x1152 (Lanczos) with sharpen

Gradual Denoise

Overlay output.

Are you using Reclock?

Owen

The FFDShow resize - sharpen dude.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vpopovic
I have AMD FX 51 overclocked to 2.48 Ghz (this would be someting like P4 3.6 with double the cache memory) with dual chanel RAM running at 450 mhz effectively and my limit is about 1.7 million pixels per frame, at room temperature of about 75 F.
It would seem that your Athlon is not as fast as you think.

I am using a P4 @ 3.5 on a 1G FSB (standard cooler running on only 7 volts) with this filter setup:

Descaler Sharpening

Denoise3D

Resize (Lanczos) 1920x1080 (2.07 million pixels) with sharpen

Audio EQ

VMR9 output.

No stutter problems and no tearing.

I am not boasting here, but just informing people of what is possible with today’s hardware.

I have previously stated that IMHO P4’s outperformed Athlons for FFDShow use.

It would seem that even an Athlon FX can not compete.

Owen

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
How does one overclock their P4 ?

I've been struggling with ffdshow seizing up Zoomplayer with anthing but a touch of manipulation and I've got a P4 3Gig 800Mhz fsb. What do I change in my bios to overclock with stability and reliability ?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
gn1,

It sounds like you are using WinDVD decoder without the “Abstract DMO†filter.

If you don’t use the Abstract filter, video will freeze if the open a menu or resize / move a window etc.

As for overclocking, it depends on the main board you have.

Owen

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I dont use PowerDVD so I cant help much with it.

There are many over clocking guides on line.

I think ASUS has a user forum.

You need to increase the FSB / memmory speed to overclock the CPU.

You may also need to change the FSB/ memory divider from 1/1 to 4/5 to slow down the RAM. This allows you to overclock the CPU and keep the RAM at a more normal speed if required. It depends on the quality of your RAM.

It is more important to get maximum speed out of the CPU rather then the RAM.

Your current RAM speed should be 200Mhz for a 1:1 800Mhz FSB. For a 3G CPU you only need to overclock about 10%. Most RAM can run up to about 220Mhz. You can’t do any harm overclocking like this. If you go to fare the system will get unstable or not boot. Just overclock as high as you can with stability.

Owen

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Owen
intinig,

Overclocking your CPU would definatelly help.

Almost all Hyperthreading P4's can run at 3.2-3.3G on standard voltage and standard cooling with perfect reliability.

Are you using Reclock?
I'll try overlclocking and let you know, and yes, I use reclock. Does it impact performance?

·
Registered
27 Posts

If you don’t use the Abstract filter, video will freeze if the open a menu or resize / move a window etc.

Owen

Owen,

I included the Abstract DMO filter in zoomplayer.

When I play a DVD the picture flickers and is green.

How do I disable the function of this DMO filter.

Also Can I use some other DMO for WinDVD stability

in ZP. If so which one(s)?

Thanks for any help

Ronnie.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Originally posted by imranqureshi
Quote:

Owen

Owen,

I included the Abstract DMO filter in zoomplayer.

When I play a DVD the picture flickers and is green.

How do I disable the function of this DMO filter.

Also Can I use some other DMO for WinDVD stability

in ZP. If so which one(s)?

Thanks for any help

Ronnie.
The first time I enabled ffdshow and abstract dmo it worked fine. Now I have the same problem as you, and it start the first time I rebooted. The entire screen flickers massively when I watch a DVD with abstract dmo added in. If I remove the abstract dmo it works fine. Guess I dont need abstract DMO?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclejim
The first time I enabled ffdshow and abstract dmo it worked fine. Now I have the same problem as you, and it start the first time I rebooted. The entire screen flickers massively when I watch a DVD with abstract dmo added in. If I remove the abstract dmo it works fine. Guess I dont need abstract DMO?
With advice from forum here is how I (successfully) used Abstract DMO to stabilize WinDVD playback thru Zoomplayer:

1. I have WinDVD platinum 5.1 installed.

2. Thru above player, pullup the side panel on RHS and goto "Video effects"

This should allow you to selectively enable a DMO filter and control

its intensity. So select Abtstract filter from pulldown list, enable it,

and set intensity to 0 (to disable the filter function).

3. In zoomplayer, under DVD/DVD setup/Customized menu,

add in WinDVD Abstract DMO filter in the "additional filter" box

but add it ABOVE the ffdshow filter.

4. VErify that all filters are registered, if not register and save/close

That should do it. CLose zoomplayer and restart.

Hope that helps.

Imran

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
FWIW I still use the dec 2002 ffdshow build on my athlon 2200+. Any later builds and I get reliability issues and CPU usage issues.

I reckon it's a great build.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.