AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried looking for this but its a short answer if you know it. Does CABLE HDTV in cities other than Chicago but already using AT&T/Comcast, require Fiber cable to the TV/Cable box or can Coax do it from a condo distribution point? Meaning that if Cable brings fiber to the building and distributes it via intra-building coax? Will I get actual HDTV or will I get the short end of the cable? (like I'm already not)

A techie should probably answer this. Or someone who's already there with AT&T/Comcast Cable in other cities.

Does it require a phone line too? That's another issue I don't know the answer too.

Forgive me if these are simple questions.

Nutt

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Coax as "The Last Mile" is the norm for cable. There are a couple of isolated cases where operators are trying "Fiber To The Home" and "Fiber to the Curb". Yes HDTV is being delivered via coax. Telephone connections to cable boxes was used in the past to get PPV billing information. Some of these systems may still be in service, but most are now using 2 way RF to get that info.

Brian

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
AFAIK distribution to your set top box will be via coax. Whether you get HDTV has nothing to do with whether it is delivered via coax or fibre. Both types of media are capable of delivering it. You will get whatever your cable operator decides to offer and you pay for.

FWIW I have FTTH (fibre to the house) for telephone and internet. And coax for cable. Both are from the same company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.