AVS Forum banner

What's your prime seating's field of view?

• Native Scope/CIH Screen (2.3x:1) - FOV less than 36deg = prime row more than 3.68xH

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Native Scope/CIH Screen (2.3x:1) - FOV 36-43deg = prime row between 3.68xH and 3.00xH

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Native Scope/CIH Screen (2.3x:1) - FOV 44-53deg = prime row between 2.99xH and 2.39xH

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Native Scope/CIH Screen (2.3x:1) - FOV 54-62deg = prime row between 2.38xH and 2.00xH

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Native Scope/CIH Screen (2.3x:1) - FOV greater than 62deg = prime row less than 2.00xH

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Native HDTV/CIW Screen (16:9) - FOV less than 36deg = prime row more than 1.54xW

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Native HDTV/CIW Screen (16:9) - FOV 36-43deg = prime row between 1.54xW and 1.26xW

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Native HDTV/CIW Screen (16:9) - FOV 44-53deg = prime row between 1.25xW and 1.00xW

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Native HDTV/CIW Screen (16:9) - FOV 54-62deg = prime row between 0.99xW and 0.84xW

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Native HDTV/CIW Screen (16:9) - FOV greater than 62deg = prime row less than 0.84xW

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Just curious, when you say you like to see the whole screen without moving your head are you moving your eyes?

Reason I ask is I also agree I don’t care for a lot of head moving during a movie even though I enjoy live sports and can easily sit and watch basketball for several hours from court side and be turning my head and body the whole time.

I do think because how our eyes have a very narrow FOV when it comes to really acute focus we move our eyes non stop when watching a movie. So the question then becomes how much eye movement is comfortable for several hours like watching a movie. That point I think changes from person to person quite a bit and the reason we see such a range in immersion people like.

One of the hardest things to get used to in immersive viewing like IMAX is that you don’t have to see the whole screen clearly. The stuff above and below and too the sides is there as peripheral vision filler. All the action and all the director intends for you to acutely view is within the safe central area. If when they move the area of interest away from the center of the screen the movement is a slower pan shot. It is trying to simulate our real vision we use all day every day where we have a huge level of immersion, but we are used to it and don’t find the need to take it all in.

As soon as we get in a theater we feel the need to process it all for some reason.
:)
For me, eye movement does happen at those distances...in other words; my head really does not have to move (it does, but it's subtle and very slight if I really have to.) Also like you said, with the narrow FOV my eyes do have to move, but it's only to look around when I feel the need to, or to follow a subject...I would guess much in the same way other people look at things during a movie or in real life. The point is, at the distance I choose for myself is comfortable where my head doesn't really have to move, unless I choose to; and the distance is great enough that any eye movement is slight and easy on the eyes.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
For me, eye movement does happen at those distances...in other words; my head really does not have to move (it does, but it's subtle and very slight if I really have to.) Also like you said, with the narrow FOV my eyes do have to move, but it's only to look around when I feel the need to, or to follow a subject...I would guess much in the same way other people look at things during a movie or in real life. The point is, at the distance I choose for myself is comfortable where my head doesn't really have to move, unless I choose to; and the distance is great enough that any eye movement is slight and easy on the eyes.
Thanks for replying.
Now that I have the abilities for variable immersion I’m clearly seeing both points of view on immersion and in fact I enjoy both at different times.

When your setup is fixed some people opt for greater immersion for the stuff that really benefits from it and they put up with the stuff that’s not ideal as they don’t find it awful bad and the benefit of having it for the good stuff outweighs that. Others find a less immersive point and everything is good (like TV in a way) even more immersive than TV and stuff that I like immersive, IMAX for example look wonderful also less immersive.

My sister likes back of the theater seating and when she comes over for a movie I would crank the immersion up on we watch it way less immersive. Where I would have it at 110” we will watch it at 80” For her it is way more immersive than her TV at home and gives her the back of the theater level. I can’t say I don’t enjoy the movie that way and in some ways it is a more relaxed viewing. I even dial the sound back and often turn the subs off as she also doesn’t care for that at her age. One way I’m watching an enjoyable movie and the other way I almost feel part of the movie.

Lately sometimes I don’t fire up the projector someone else does and the zoom is set immersive and I come in and there is a high quality 1080 TV show playing and it looks ok that big. I will just watch along and not fiddle with the zoom. I get into the excessive feeling of eye movement you mention The show is still ok to watch just that in this case it adds nothing.

I’m not one to say as many do that watching one show to large will spoil the next show shown properly, but I do try and save those extra large immersive shows for those settings as they do feel more special then. :)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Thanks for replying.
Now that I have the abilities for variable immersion I’m clearly seeing both points of view on immersion and in fact I enjoy both at different times.

When your setup is fixed some people opt for greater immersion for the stuff that really benefits from it and they put up with the stuff that’s not ideal as they don’t find it awful bad and the benefit of having it for the good stuff outweighs that. Others find a less immersive point and everything is good (like TV in a way) even more immersive than TV and stuff that I like immersive, IMAX for example look wonderful also less immersive.

My sister likes back of the theater seating and when she comes over for a movie I would crank the immersion up on we watch it way less immersive. Where I would have it at 110” we will watch it at 80” For her it is way more immersive than her TV at home and gives her the back of the theater level. I can’t say I don’t enjoy the movie that way and in some ways it is a more relaxed viewing. I even dial the sound back and often turn the subs off as she also doesn’t care for that at her age. One way I’m watching an enjoyable movie and the other way I almost feel part of the movie.

Lately sometimes I don’t fire up the projector someone else does and the zoom is set immersive and I come in and there is a high quality 1080 TV show playing and it looks ok that big. I will just watch along and not fiddle with the zoom. I get into the excessive feeling of eye movement you mention The show is still ok to watch just that in this case it adds nothing.

I’m not one to say as many do that watching one show to large will spoil the next show shown properly, but I do try and save those extra large immersive shows for those settings as they do feel more special then. :)

When it comes to TV viewing; my set is 60", yet I'm something like 14' away. Yea I know; a bit too far for that size screen. But in my home environment it's easier to not have to move furniture around...and I still have to have a living space; so I leave it alone. The best thing to do in my case would be to eventually get a larger screen...perhaps that 77' OLED. At minimum that would be nice, but there are now larger screen sizes that were just shown at CES 2019 that are more desirable, but way too expensive at the moment. At the same time; I'm still waiting for certain aspects of that technology to improve. I don't know if it will, so for now I'll keep my (now 10 year old) 60' plasma that still performs like new and has a beautiful image quality.

What's interesting when talking about eye movement, even at 14' away looking at a 60" screen, when I really think of it, I still have to move my eyes if I want to look at certain parts of the screen. Fortunately when I really think about it; I still get a good viewing experience, and with what eye movement there is all feels natural. If I had to start really moving my head to enjoy something, the screen is either too big, or I'm sitting too close.

On a end note; movies that are 2.39:1 though much better on a 60' screen than a 50' or smaller screen, I'd still like to have something bigger to give that aspect ratio more of a cinematic feeling while watching in my home environment.

Reactions: DigitalAV

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
@Thebarnman
On eye movement I always found this study interesting. It tracks multi viewers watching the same movie and the larger the circle gets for each user is the length of time they dwell looking at one spot.

It is the reason we can watch a movie more than once and get a different experience each time. We can’t watch it all at once and scope and IMAX movies with more immersion when watched properly as CIH or CIH+IMAX force our vision around the screen differently. One of the reasons I like some sports more immersive like football. Some people follow the ball some watch their favorite player. All of the parts that make up the game are small on the screen when the whole field of play is shown.

https://vimeo.com/19788132

TV’s drawback over projection is it forces CIW they tried making 2.35 TVs for a short time but they never took off. People hate not having their screen fully filled and no matter what format the TV is there are going to be black bars and I guess the black bars on the side were not welcome even though it showed scope properly.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
@Thebarnman
On eye movement I always found this study interesting. It tracks multi viewers watching the same movie and the larger the circle gets for each user is the length of time they dwell looking at one spot.

It is the reason we can watch a movie more than once and get a different experience each time. We can’t watch it all at once and scope and IMAX movies with more immersion when watched properly as CIH or CIH+IMAX force our vision around the screen differently. One of the reasons I like some sports more immersive like football. Some people follow the ball some watch their favorite player. All of the parts that make up the game are small on the screen when the whole field of play is shown.

https://vimeo.com/19788132

TV’s drawback over projection is it forces CIW they tried making 2.35 TVs for a short time but they never took off. People hate not having their screen fully filled and no matter what format the TV is there are going to be black bars and I guess the black bars on the side were not welcome even though it showed scope properly.
That was pretty freaky watching that. I found my own eye movements were not much different than the other viewers. At the same times, I discovered a few times I was looking at a few other things on the screen when it seemed others were mostly fixated on one main character at one point. If I was really watching the movie, I might have too been more focused on certain things like the other viewers were. Since I was aware I was also looking at viewers focal points; I was also interested to see what others were looking at causing me to probably look around a bit more than I usually might do. At the same time though, it made me much more aware just how much I do tend to look at other things on the screen while watching a movie.

Black bars don't bother me. I simply like OAR...the way it was meant to be seen regardless of the format. If the format is changed to fit a certain screen (from it's original intent) it's distracting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
@DigitalAV
Please can you let me know what is my field of view?. Thank you.
screen : 16:9, 120"inch diagonal
viewing distance: 12.5 Feet

I end up mostly watching wide screen movies on 16:9 screen

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Reactions: avtvhdbass

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
40 degrees cone. 135" diagonal 16x9 at 13'-4" distance.

Had a 110" 16x9 for 12 years... That cone was 30-degree.

I believe 40 degree cone is much more immersive than 30 degree.

-T

Edit:

Some of the FOV in this thread is insane 🙂.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
40 degrees cone. 135" diagonal 16x9 at 13'-4" distance.

Had a 110" 16x9 for 12 years... That cone was 30-degree.

I believe 40 degree cone is much more immersive than 30 degree.

-T

Edit:

Some of the FOV in this thread is insane 🙂.
I very much like that seating distance. Personally, I find a greater seating distance (if possible, given room length and still being able to maintain a reasonable FOV) can really give that "premium" edge.

Reactions: rossandwendy

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
What would the FOV be for a 100" (diagonal) 16:9 screen viewed from about 8-8.5 ft? Would this be immersive enough?
A 100” screen is 49x87. when you show a 2.39:1 scope movie the size will be 36x87.

Based on that the scope image will be 2.8 times the screen height as seating distance. That would be like sitting about ¾ of the way back in a commercial movie theater.

If that is where you normally like to sit then it would be good.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
What would the FOV be for a 100" (diagonal) 16:9 screen viewed from about 8-8.5 ft? Would this be immersive enough?
Your FOV would be between 46-49deg - certainly an excellently immersive experience!

Reactions: Craig Peer
101 - 113 of 113 Posts