AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Fifth Element R2 DVD today, thinking it would have stellar picture quality from what I've read about the R1 version on this board. The cover had an icon showing a 16:9-picture with the 2.35:1 stripe in the middle. This would mean that it's anamorphic, right? Wrong in this case!

I was so terribly disappointed. I had my projector in 16:9 mode as I always do and it didn't look very wrong in the menu but as the movie started I thought the black bars were too thick and then it struck me. It wasn't anamorphic! What a ripoff!!! In addition there was edge enhancement and sometimes weird MPEG-artifacs around objects on bright backgrounds (not ringing).

http://home.c2i.net/ahustvedt/images/ripoff.jpg
Look at how they claim it's 16:9-format. A 16:9-picture with a 2.35:1 bar in the middle.

I'm so annoyed at stuff like this. I really wanted to buy the Mary Poppins DVD. It had a banner on the top of the cover that said "WIDESCREEN EDITION", looking at the back was a little square just like the one in the picture above, only it was 4:3 with a 16:9 stripe in the middle. At least they had put the right icon on the back. Widescreen my rear end!

End of rant!

Tor Arne

·
Registered
298 Posts
The german remastered deluxe edition is anamorphic 2.35:1

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David600.

did you even read my post? I thought it would be good, and the cover lied about it's format.

I'll have to order the Superbit too now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Boy did you luck out, according to here , the Danish and Swedish versions are the only non-anamorphic R2 versions. I presume that's what is on offer in Norway.

Ian

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm.. That'll teach me not to do any research before I buy. The sound Fifth Element was very good, though. :)

I bought Dungeons & Dragons and Seven SE R2 (DTS-ES) also and found out that the subtitles were locked on both of them. That sucks! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
...very surprised about your post, since this review on the dvdnett.no site claims that:

"...DVD-utgivelsen er av teknisk meget høy kvalitet. Bildet er skarpt, fullt av detaljer og med god fargemetning, og leveres i 16:9-optimalisert 2.35:1-format. Lydmiksen er en god surroundmiks med nok av aktivitet i alle kanaler til å gi deg en skikkelig "feel good"-kinostemning i stua. Selv om filmen er bra, er det tekniske nivået i seg selv nok til å sette denne platen på handlelisten - selv om dessverre skorter litt på bonusmateriale. En utmerket film for å overbevise venner om DVD-formatets fortreffelighet..."

...until, of course, I realized that said review is talking about the R1 release...

...sigh...

. . . ;) . . .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The English DD track on that is DD2.0 - not DD5.1. It also has French DD5.1 track that detracts a bit from the max possible bitrate. I am a bit annoyed that we're not seeing more superbit releases here in Europe however. PAL needs all the bitrate it can get due to the higher frame rate and resolution.

·
Registered
135 Posts
...oops!... my bad about the English DD track... but, hey! who needs it as long as the English dts track is 5.1!... and as for full-bit-rate dts: there isn't much of that around anymore I noticed, whether in R1 or R2 (or R3, for that matter)... and as for SUPERBIT, isn't that strictly a proprietary Columbia/Tristar thingy?... don't expect to ever get it from DreamWorks, or Paramount, or WB, or MGM, or Universal, or...

. . . ;) . . .

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Let me explain something. In fact, the video output format you are describing IS ANAMORPHIC. In the case of a 2.35:1 film, "anamorphic" means the movie will contain letterbox bars that make the final output format 1.78:1, providing your DVD player is set for a 16:9 aspect ratio display. If you have set the DVD player for a 4:3 display, the player is adding a second set of letterbox bars to the 16:9 area in the center of the display, to format the 2.35:1 film to 1.33:1. (On a properly adjusted display, the difference in black levels between the letterbox bars recorded on the media and the ones added by the player are almost invisible.)

That's how it works - every player including all the PC software players, is either set for displays of 1.78:1 or 1.33:1. The people who benefit most from "anamorphic" DVDs have 16:9 displays, but the only time they see no black letterbox bars is when the original source material is also 1.78:1 - such as ATSC (aka US HDTV) or movies filmed in "widescreen" that use spherical lenses (versus elliptical lenses used to film 2.35:1 films, called "Panavision" or "Cinemascope" cameras). Although there is another another common aspect ratio that uses such spherical lenses, which is 1.85:1 - which displays narrow little black bars on a 16:9 display, although most CRT displays have enough "overscan" that the difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 source is not visible.

Now I don't doubt your assessment of the video quality of the R2 disk at all, I think you've been around the AVS Forum long enough to know what artifacts are. But you need to understand that there are multiple aspect ratios in the world, and only one of these will match whatever display aspect ratio you are using. The common source ratios are:

1.33:1 - Covers the 4:3 display completely, but has "pillarbars" (aka "sidebars") on a 16:9 display.

1.78:1 - Covers the 16:9 display completely, but has "letterbox" bars top and bottom on a 4:3 display.

2.35:1 - Never gets displayed without letterbox bars on a properly adjusted display - the 4:3 display bars are much wider than those on a 16:9 display, however.

You may have heard the term "pixel perfection" if you frequent the AVS projector or HTPC forums. I've got my projector adjusted for such, meaning that I try to get every last row of pixels on the screen (actually, I split the outer pixel row on all four sides to get a crisp edge on the black frame of the screen). I also use adjustable black matte panels (manually adjustable via Velcro hook/loop fasteners) to frame each movie exactly.

But I'm so obsessed with displaying the whole picture that I get up and adjust the matte panels between a 1.85:1 film and a 1.78:1 film, so I don't lose the 14 rows of pixels top and bottom....I also have noticed the difference between 2.35:1 and the less common 2.39:1. I would never be satisfied with automatic mattes unless I had settings for all of the above, plus a manual overide for less common ratios like 1.66:1 and 2.0:1, or the 2.76:1 used for Ben Hur.

I've even been known to zoom my projector when I find one of those DVDs that itself tries to compensate for CRT overscan by outputting some black area to the right and left of the picture (the current Director's Cut version of Blade Runner is one such). It annoys me to have to do this to get that crisp black edge around the image, while the image itself completely fills the screen - but I do it.

My burden is eased somewhat by having a constant width, variable height display, so I only have 2-way matting to configure. 4-way adjustable matting would be extra trouble - I know I'd be tweeking all four sides.

Gary

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary McCoy. You assume too much!

I know what I'm talking about. I have the DVD-player set to 16:9. You shouldn't try to teach your dad how to make babies! ;)

I don't mind a 2.35:1 stripe inside the 16:9-image, but this DVD has a 4:3 picture with the 2.35:1 stripe in the middle and they claim it's anamorphic on the cover. It is NOT anamorphic! My whole point of this thread is that it's marked with the wrong icon. the cover should have a 4:3-icon with the 2.35:1 stripe, and not the one in the picture.

I would really like to se true anamorphic 2.35:1 and the software support to support it so it's scaled properly in the projectors.

PS.

I don't mean to be rude! Excuse my jokes. I realize you know what you're talking about, but you misunderstood my point.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Buying in R2 is a pain.

There are almost as many versions as countries...

Be carefull when the jacket says there is only one subtitle available, it's often locked.

:(

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
If you've got a Pioneer DVD player, there's a way to remove forced (but not burned-in) subtitles. Maybe on other players as well.

Regards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.