AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the first to complain about Columbia tristar DVDs' PQ.

But this time, I absolutely wanted to congralutate their work on this fifth element's SB DVD. My god, it's absolutely gorgeous...I don't get it, How does it happen some people don't see any differences with the first release? To me, it's almost night and day, Frankly.

What a shame they still keep using EE, but I have to be candid and admit that it's very thin and not very disturbing (and I REALLY hate EE though, believe me!).

It has so a film-like picture and (almost!?) no digital artefacts...simply beatiful.

I know I am far for beeing the first to say that, but I wanted to thank CT . Please, keep the good work! I just hope that the other studios will follow them this way (are you listening universal!!! I looked jurassic park just after the fifth element...We all knew it had a very poor PQ but NOW it really looks like crap)

The problem is, now I will hesitate to buy their regular dvds, seriously.

TFE first release was a reference, now this new release beats it fingers in the nose.

I have just one question:

Are the other SB dvds looking as good as this one (especially crouching tiger-it had so much EE)?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Stef,

I agree with you that the new transfer of TFE is absolutely stunning looking...even with the minor presence of EE.

Yet I am not as enthusiastic about offering Sony kudos simply because this is the way it should have been done from the very beginning...but they chose not to! Besides, it doesn't cost them one red cent more to do it using the super-bit route -the right way- so attempting to cash in on what has proved to be a bottomless source of money for them just torque my jaws. :mad:

I would be more apt to heap high praises if they were to re-time colimetry and remaster Lawrence Of Arabia with the super-bit method while doing away with EE altogether, rather than seeing them put out some real turkey movies, although I admit TFE is a very entertaining sci-fi vehicle, one that merits repeat viewing.

I think they better do video transfers right (read: "super-bitted") from now on lest an uprising of unhappy videophiles comes knocking down their doors...

-THTS

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank,

I agree with you.

It should have been done that way from the beginning, especially for recent DVDs (you said crouching tiger!).

But TFE, first release is very old now. I guess we should be more lenient for this one...Of course, studios will do their best to make us buy same titles several times.

I agree the first releases are not so appealing (although I find it purely subjective), but I, for one think also every flick has the right to get the best treatment possible (of course, I would have loved to get one lawrence of arabia instead of johnny mnemonic:) ).

I'm not a big fan of TFE but I will eagerly wait for the dracula release. I love this film...and gattaca is very cool too IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.