16,820 Posts
Very short answer ,

Yes .

Jason

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Mine is a veeerrryyy looonngg answer... :D

Indeed the super-bitted TFE is "enhanced" (anomorphic).

It would be very odd and crazy if SB versions weren't. :p

Tri Star/Columbia (Sony) has released all of their widescreen DVDs anomorphically enhanced from the very beginning, which was unlike those movie studios that kept dragging their feet doing so until they were persuaded to do it because of the complaints loudly expressed by a rather effective Internet videophile community. I am glad they did listen! :)

-THTS

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave C.
How does the superbit picture compare to the normal 16x9 version. Any reviews anywhere? Is it worth it?
Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=50201

I've done the comparison on my setup (Marquee 8501LC, 10.5'x4.5' screen) and i could tell the difference from 15' away. To me it was like a slight "haze" or "blur" was removed from the picture compared to the original version.

It will depend on your setup though if it's worth getting the new one.

Gertkam

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fredrik-

I cannot even imagine the threads that would be posted in this forum if the Fifth Element Superbit DVD wasnt anamorphic. Posters wouldnt sleep for weeks- they would march over to the Sony DVD labs and raise hell.

So- i assure you- its anamorphic and it rocks.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brunsiv,

No I could imagine the "flame" war :D going on here if they would release it non-anamorphic, the reason why I asked was because I couldn't find were it said anamorphic, just "widescreen 2.35:1".

So I want to make sure that it was realy anamorphic since you never know (more stupid things have happened).

E.g. Divix :D

/Fredrik

·
Registered
292 Posts
I watched 30 minutes of Fifth Element Superbit on the new RP56 in 480p last night. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but ... it looks so good, it's close to HD. (It's not close to the very best HD but it's close to what you see a lot of the time ... )

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Dave C,

Check my "take" on the super-bitted TFE DVD in this Forum; is sort of a follow up to Bjoern's thread.

This I will say presently, though: the image is about the most stunningly HD-like looking I've seen from any SCOPE ratioed, widescreen DVD transfer so far! This in itself speaks volumes about its image quality...

-THTS

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredrik
Brunsiv,

No I could imagine the "flame" war :D going on here if they would release it non-anamorphic, the reason why I asked was because I couldn't find were it said anamorphic, just "widescreen 2.35:1".

So I want to make sure that it was realy anamorphic since you never know (more stupid things have happened).

/Fredrik

I agree with your comment! It seems obvious for certain people but "widescreen 2.35:1" doesn't mean necessarily anamorphic.

I also agree that it would be odd if SB's weren't, but then why don't they tout it and make it easier for everyone! I wrongly thought that this definition designate exclusively Letterbox DVD's therefore I carefully picked my DVD's based on the facts that they mention either "Enhanced for 16x9 televisions" or "Widescreen Anamorphic" (I probably missed some opportunities but at least there was no confusion). From now on I would also have to do some research on what "Widescreen Presentations" means for each DVD that I am interrested in...:mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredrik
Brunsiv,

/Fredrik

I agree with your comment! It seems obvious for certain people but "widescreen 2.35:1" doesn't mean necessarily anamorphic.

I also agree that it would be odd if SB's weren't, but then why don't they tout it and make it easier for everyone! I wrongly thought that this definition designate exclusively Letterbox DVD's therefore I carefully picked my DVD's based on the facts that they mention either "Enhanced for 16x9 televisions" or "Widescreen Anamorphic" (I probably missed some opportunities but at least there was no confusion). From now on I would also have to do some research on what "Widescreen Presentations" means for each DVD that I am interrested in...:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike2567
I watched 30 minutes of Fifth Element Superbit on the new RP56 in 480p last night. I'll probably get flamed for saying this but ... it looks so good, it's close to HD. (It's not close to the very best HD but it's close to what you see a lot of the time ... )

Nope, your wrong. Its BETTER than most of the HD stuff on the air. if HBO and Showtime looked like this via Dish all of the time I'd be one happy camper....

Joe

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Quote:

"How does the superbit picture compare to the normal 16x9 version. "

What 16:9 version?

It's always been 2:35(on DVD, anyway), and it's still one of the best.

Can't wait to get the Superbit version.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.