AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For over a year now I thought my amps were fully shutting down when the dome lights did. They have not been, but I didn't start suffering low volatge the next morning until recently.... which means that my batteries must have been stronger before but doing this over a year has damaged them marginaly. Today I was waiting for my GF with the ACC in the off. After 15 minutes the toggle switchs shut off and the deck shut off...as they should. I looked in back, sure enough the amps were off... wait... the red lights on the 3 KX amps were off and the blue display was off on the SX...but I saw a faint green glow. I stuck my head through the port and looked at the bottoms of the amps, the green LEDs were on! I kept waiting and waiting, they looked very dull... the LEDs on my home theater EP4000s take a few seconds to drain the capacitors. Kept waiting. After 2 minutes I knew they were going to stay on so I flipped the toggle switches, the toggle switch lights were off, into the off position and the LEDs went out right away.

So there must be a very low level current left over after the dome light times off, not enough to make the toggle switches glow or the power lights and displays on the amps but enough to leak through the amps!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I TOLD you in another thread when you were whining (yes you were actually whining Jordan) about your batteries and alternators and I also told you get a freakin battery tender/trickle charger that you needed to redo your remote turn on to a relay and put your switches AFTER the relay. That way you were sure they were off.

Sheesh. I want to 3 stooges slap you on the back of the head.

Glad you found the issue.

Put in the feggin relay.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mistakes and discoveries are the best way for people to learn. I have gone through several thousand dollar lessons outside of car audio myself... and I still sometimes ignore learned advice.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel /forum/post/20809083

Mistakes and discoveries are the best way for people to learn. I have gone through several thousand dollar lessons outside of car audio myself... and I still sometimes ignore learned advice.

Oh I know. I usually do not give KW issues. But when I tell him he needs to do a certain thing, at least a month ago for this very issue, and a month later he has a eureka moment, I face palm. It's like dealing with my kid. Listen to everybody else or rather everybody else but dad/cubdenno and then eureka I found the problem which just happens to be the thing that was pointed out previously by dad/cubdenno.

Not that I am KW's dad but I do have a son fairly close to KW's age.

And yes pain or monetary loss in making mistakes are the mother of teaching lessons.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I told you your son reminded me of myself once as well, hence that long tangent I had that day

BTW, the crossover settings are still somewhat similat to what you wanted me to do in the first place... still has my KW touch to it, but basically there.

DOH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.