AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just built a dedicated 7.2 theater room and all the loudspeaker locations are wired up in the wall with that standard gray, solid copper speaker wire by the electrician. There is a bundle of 9 wires coming out of the wall in the gear closet and my nice electricians didn't bother to label which wire goes where. (The subwoofer wires probably should have been coax, so I'll have to run a separate cable exposed along the baseboard for them anyway.) Oh boy. :rolleyes:

My question is, is there a way to quickly figure out which wire goes to which speaker location without first hooking up the receiver and going through a laborious, trial & error test-tone process? Some little gadget and a voltage meter or something along those lines? Sure would save me a lot of time & trouble.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Simple solution.......

Hook up a speaker to each location on the walls if you can, then, using a battery, grab a pair of leads(+ & -) from the bundle of wires. Now hold one lead to the negative battery terminal and tap the other lead to the positive. You will hear a click in the speaker. Flag the wire leads as you go around the room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts