AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ripped all of my DVD's and Blurays to .iso's but I'm finding that streaming a bluray .iso to be unreliable and that the space that the files use to be a bit much. I'm looking for alternatives that will allow me to keep the files on my hard drive while easing streaming, keeping HD audio, and conserving space.

I'm in the process of converting my DVD .iso's to MKV's and I'm happy with the results but for my bluray collection I want to keep the HD Audio intact which does not appear to be possible with MakeMKV. Is there another option?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use MeGUI for that, it's basically a gui wrapper for various encoding and transcoding tools.

You need to rip the bluray to file with the .m2ts streams then open extract the streams in megui with the hd streams extractor (ctrl+F7), choose your audio and video streams to extract. Extract the audio as thd or dts-hd.

After that's finished, mux the streams into .mkv using the mkv muxer (ctrl+4) add all your files and once the jobs done you should have an mkv with the hd audio.

Also I need to add that the mkv muxer in MeGUI doesnt support muxing true-hd audio and you will need to use mkvmerge gui which comes with mkvtoolnix

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
MakeMKV keeps all streams intact:

- H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2 to H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2

- TrueHD+AC3/DD+/DTS-HD to TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD and/or AC3 (from TrueHD+AC3 stream)/DTS (from core of DTS-HD)

- PGS subtitles to PGS subtitles.

If MakeMKV does not work (yes, not always work), try BluRip (the same functionality as MakeMKV, as well as video re-encoding option by x264). Another option is BD folder with only the main title (Clown_BD).

Unless you really need to shrink the file size drastically (e.g. for mobile devices), avoid a x264 front end (MeGUI, RipBot264, HandBrake etc.).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
This is good advice but I'll broaden the question to my dumb question of the day. I've recently gotten my first Blu-Ray PC drive and I'm wondering if there is an advantage/disadvantage of ripping Blu-Rays to ISOs vs folder structure. For years I've been ripping DVDs to folders, not ISOs but now that I'm turning my attention to Blu-Rays, I'm wondering if i should change strategies if ISOs will bring me greater utility with media players or other applications.

I have AnyDVD HD so I can easily do either kind of rip. I have yet to buy a media player since I'd like to know what the choices out there will do with either ISO, folders, or MKV/MP4s conversions.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet /forum/post/20876556

This is good advice but I'll broaden the question to my dumb question of the day. I've recently gotten my first Blu-Ray PC drive and I'm wondering if there is an advantage/disadvantage of ripping Blu-Rays to ISOs vs folder structure. For years I've been ripping DVDs to folders, not ISOs but now that I'm turning my attention to Blu-Rays, I'm wondering if i should change strategies if ISOs will bring me greater utility with media players or other applications.

I have AnyDVD HD so I can easily do either kind of rip. I have yet to buy a media player since I'd like to know what the choices out there will do with either ISO, folders, or MKV/MP4s conversions.

Since you own AnyDVD you have everything you need to buy. With folder strutures or MKVs you can avoid all the ads, FBI warning and crap that comes with an ISO. Free players like MPC-HC work great for just about everything except 3D content.

Mike

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I remain unclear whether with AnyDVD I can play a Blu-ray disc, (not a rip) with MPC-HC. I am currently using PowerDVD 11 which I think does a great job.

If you can play a Blu-ray disc with MPC-HC are there any limits in functionality?

Are there any MPC-HC setup changes that need to be made to get MPC-HC to recogize and play a blu-ray disc?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
MPC-HC plays files off the disc. By default, I believe it chooses the largest file when you open by directory, which typically is the movie. But you can manually open each video file. You'll never get the disc menu.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
MPC HomeCinema can play any of BD folder, BD ISO and BD optical disc ("Open DVD" or "Open Directory..."). It looks for the playlist (.mpls) of the longest time duration (usually [but not always] it's the main title). (Check with BDInfo.) I recommend LAV Splitter instead of the internal MPEG TS/PS/PVA splitter (with which HD audio bitstreaming may not work).

This means, if you use MPC HomeCinema, you can watch the main title immediately.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Thanks, I will give it a try. I do use LAV splitter, audio, cuvid

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/20876742

Since you own AnyDVD you have everything you need to buy. With folder strutures or MKVs you can avoid all the ads, FBI warning and crap that comes with an ISO. Free players like MPC-HC work great for just about everything except 3D content.

Mike

I'll check out MPC-HD. I'm normally a Mac user around the house and I don't spend a lot of time in the home theatre forum. But BD rips take up a whale of a lot of room on the array and I'd like to get the reasoning for doing the rip one way or another right the first time.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
MPC-HC (Movie Player Classic - Home Cinema) is a free player often used to play blu-ray movies ripped to the .mkv container. You might need to devote time to getting up to speed if you decide that is something you want to do.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20875980

MakeMKV keeps all streams intact:

- H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2 to H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2

- TrueHD+AC3/DD+/DTS-HD to TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD and/or AC3 (from TrueHD+AC3 stream)/DTS (from core of DTS-HD)

- PGS subtitles to PGS subtitles.

If MakeMKV does not work (yes, not always work), try BluRip (the same functionality as MakeMKV, as well as video re-encoding option by x264). Another option is BD folder with only the main title (Clown_BD).

Unless you really need to shrink the file size drastically (e.g. for mobile devices), avoid a x264 front end (MeGUI, RipBot264, HandBrake etc.).

Ok, thank you. I'll try MakeMKV again. I'm not trying to shrink anything. I just want to remove everything except for the movie and the desired audio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.