AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this next question sounds like I don't have any idea what I am doing, you're correct....

I have an AMD 950 machine with a 20 GB HDD for the OS, an Ultra ATA card and two 200GB HDD's for short term media storage. I just did a fresh WinXP install on this computer, and plan to do the same for the HTPC. The two are connected through a DSL router via regular ol NICs.

Will "File Sharing" be adequate for watching movies on the HTPC from the media server, or will I need something more elaborate in the way of a network with a domain and client sharing privelages, and other foreign words that I don't really want to have to learn unless I need to in order to make this work???

·
Registered
752 Posts
All you will need to do is share your drives on the server and then map a drive letter on your HTPC to your server drives and you're done!

Even a 10BT network connection is adequate for streaming MPEG2 files over the network! 100BT, or course, is better.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David. That's how my systems are set up, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm contemplating the file server scenario as well in my HTPC build.

For the server, use a budget AMD configuration, then built a microATX with all the high-end components.

My plan is to connect the two possibly with 802.11g (up to 54Mbs). I suspect that there could be problems here both in performance and latency.

Any knowledge/experience?

My alternative is to simply wire cable under the crawlspace - which adds 1 hour of work, but requires some holes to be drilled. Thank you.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Go with a wired solution if you can.

I found that there are real world limitations on the advertised rates of WiFi, i.e. thru-put and latency.

These limitations will be apparent when playing back large media files like DVD VOBs or HDTV TS.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Also, imagine watching a great flick, and having your fancy new 2.4ghz phone ring (or someone start the microwave), and zzzttt...movie pauses while it tries to restore the connection.

If you can, definately go wired for this type of application. I stream divx movies to my wireless laptop (802.11a - 5ghz) all the time, but it's not "critical" viewing...

rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.