AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiping out my win 2000 media/file server and replacing it with RH9. I am OK when it comes to setting up and administering linux to use it as a workstation.

My question is:

Is there a wrong way to configure rh9 for a media server?

what is the best way to do it? re: partitions, swap, filesystems etc.

This will serve audio and video, but there wont be any raid involved. When I can afford to do terabyte+ raid I will make this machine an audio only server and set up a new machine for video.

thanks

any input/opinions would be helpful...or even links to other posts or sites.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Any of the journalling filesystems ought to be good as far as fs type goes. Ext3 is probably the most rugged. XFS and Reiserfs will be faster, but XFS can cause more data corruption than an average non-journalled filesystem if there is a power failure between metadata and data writes, and Reiserfs has been known to interact poorly with some other driver subsystems, like PCMCIA, causing random data corruption.

If you have a UPS, XFS may be your best bet, as SGI designed it to be good with media. Otherwise I'd go with ext3, unless you can do a trial test with Reiserfs for several months and you don't notice any problems. For better reliability, don't use any special kernel patches with either reiserfs or xfs; just use the base reiserfs or xfs patch. You can probably get away with a lot more patching (like O(1) scheduling, low latency, kernel preemption, etc.) if you use ext3.

[Edit:]

As far as filesystem layout, I would probably have separate /, /var, and /tmp partitions, with about 500MB for /var, 200MB for /tmp, and 2-4GB for /. All the rest of the space I would put in a single video partition at something like /usr/local/share/datastore or /mnt/datastore or something like that. You may need a bigger /, depending on how much software you want to install. The separate /var and /tmp partitions prevent logs and temporary files from filling up your / partition.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd add a /boot partition in ext2 format, say 64M. It doesn't need to be all that big and with it you can more easily recover a system that needs a file check. However with a Knoppix rescue disk handy, it's probably a moot point.

I consure with Nitrogen on /tmp and /var being seperate.

I've not used LVM yet, but I'd certainly consider it since you can then adjust your partions should you guess wrong. One guy at work added LVM into a working system and didn't loose anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mark and nitrogen.

I installed last nite, taking nitro's advice and it seems to be running ok. No way to know for real till at least six months down the line.

off topic though: The install took almost 4hours from start to finish. I love linux...but I hate installing it. Ive installed linux on 4 boxes and each time there was problems. I guess it's not rh's fault.

sorry, just me venting

thanks guys

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more question...

what if I set up mythtv on my server with a capture card. Does anybody know if Im running sagetv on my windows htpc is there anyway to have the two interact?

both apps allow a backend/client and a frontend/client.

The best bet for me would be a linux backend, and a windows client

thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For the OS, just break out /var and swap from root. Though many oldschool unix guys still want to split up /usr /opt etc. there really isn't a reason anymore. (ok there's reasons but they're not very good ones compared to the flexibility you get with a folder based setup off of root). As for filesystem types, go with ext3 for the OS partition and like it was said, use Reiser or XFS for your data. I've never had a problem with either in terms of corruption. I have both on my server and think that when I redo everything I'll go straight reiserfs though.

-Trouble

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks trouble..

do you know anything about the sagetv/mythtv question?

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbaratta
off topic though: The install took almost 4hours from start to finish. I love linux...but I hate installing it. Ive installed linux on 4 boxes and each time there was problems. I guess it's not rh's fault.
Maybe it's time you tried another distro ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm using rh9 as a media server. I'm doing raid5. It was very easy to install and set up. I also set up a mythtv backend for this too. It was very easy to do using apt-get. I installed the frontend on my xbox and can watch, record, and timeshift shows. It's pretty neat stuff. Do a search for redhat, mythtv, and apt-get and you'll get step by step instructions. You'd be surprised how easy it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.